Gear Spray

SaveByRichter35

I've been using GSBB user HandyAndy's homemade spray concoction for quite a long time now.  It is essential oil based, works very well at killing the smell of my gear and doesn't leave behind a residue.  He just informed me that he is currently out of stock and unsure if he will be making more anytime soon.  I am in a bit of a panic here. 

I've done the water and alcohol mixture prior to using Andy's stuff and it doesn't work anywhere near as well.  I was also informed that the alcohol can dry out the materials over time and advised not to use it anymore.  

I want something that smells good but isn't too strong.  I want something that doesn't leave behind a residue, especially in gloves.  What do you all use?

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've been using GSBB user HandyAndy's homemade spray concoction for quite a long time now.  It is essential oil based, works very well at killing the smell of my gear and doesn't leave behind a residue.  He just informed me that he is currently out of stock and unsure if he will be making more anytime soon.  I am in a bit of a panic here. 

I've done the water and alcohol mixture prior to using Andy's stuff and it doesn't work anywhere near as well.  I was also informed that the alcohol can dry out the materials over time and advised not to use it anymore.  

I want something that smells good but isn't too strong.  I want something that doesn't leave behind a residue, especially in gloves.  What do you all use?

I am also a Handy Andy de-stink user, and was getting ready to send him a note to buy another batch.  This isn't good news.  I started supplementing the De-stink with Clear Gear spray, and it works well.  My helmet and gloves get De-stink and the rest gets Clear Gear.  cleargear.com

I'll also email Andy and see if ordering 10 bottles would help encourage him to mix up another batch :)

-steve 

• Like 1

I have found Sweat-X to be very effective.  My post-game ritual is to spray everything and either set in front of a fan, or in the case of the glove/blocker, those get a shot of spray and then go on the Peet boot dryer.  I only use my goalie gear maybe once a month typically, and have found it to hold up well after treatment, never a wave of stink when I open the bag.  

I did play weekly for a while, and for the last half of that session, I was out of my usual spray.  Used some other that was available retail at my local Pure Hockey store.  But that never really got the post-game smell knocked down.  I was surprised that there was as much difference in performance from over-the-counter sprays.  Smell subsided once I got back to using the Sweat-X.

I have never tried any home-brew style sprays for comparison however.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beansbats said:

I am also a Handy Andy de-stink user, and was getting ready to send him a note to buy another batch.  This isn't good news.  I started supplementing the De-stink with Clear Gear spray, and it works well.  My helmet and gloves get De-stink and the rest gets Clear Gear.  cleargear.com

I'll also email Andy and see if ordering 10 bottles would help encourage him to mix up another batch :)

-steve 

Yes!  Message him and see what he says.  You're getting 10, I was going to order 5 or 6.  Maybe he'll go for it?  He did tell me that he has been extremely busy with other stuff so it might end up being for naught but we can hope!

2 hours ago, TDS-MN said:

I have found Sweat-X to be very effective.  My post-game ritual is to spray everything and either set in front of a fan, or in the case of the glove/blocker, those get a shot of spray and then go on the Peet boot dryer.  I only use my goalie gear maybe once a month typically, and have found it to hold up well after treatment, never a wave of stink when I open the bag.  

I did play weekly for a while, and for the last half of that session, I was out of my usual spray.  Used some other that was available retail at my local Pure Hockey store.  But that never really got the post-game smell knocked down.  I was surprised that there was as much difference in performance from over-the-counter sprays.  Smell subsided once I got back to using the Sweat-X.

I have never tried any home-brew style sprays for comparison however.

Where do you get Sweat-X?  Your current method is working for you so this might be moot, but, may I make a suggestion?  Dry your gear as you are currently doing but spray the gear once it is already done with your drying process.  I found that to be a bit more effective since you're not rushing the drying process of your spray.  Letting it sit and dry at its own rate lets it soak deeper into your gear.

I been using Clear Gear for years and it does wonders.  They wouldn't ship to Canada so it may be difficult for you to get it as I have.  I used to pick it up from my friend down in Buffalo but last time had to make some maneuvers to get it over and ordered 6 big bottles, ended up being costly.

But it's great, https://cleargear.com/

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yes!  Message him and see what he says.  You're getting 10, I was going to order 5 or 6.  Maybe he'll go for it?  He did tell me that he has been extremely busy with other stuff so it might end up being for naught but we can hope!

I think Andy is out for now.  I am very bummed.  He did say that he might get back into it down the road.

I started using Capt-Odor for the past year or two. Nice scent which that isn't strong. Doesn't leave any residue in any of my gear, including my gloves, which I give a good 5-6 sprays each after each skate.

For whatever reason, I have never left much odor behind in my gear. I've always air dried my equipment after skating.

I could probably discontinue it and not notice much of a difference.

Not a good pitch but maybe someone who reeks can chime in with their experience with this stuff 🙃

• Thanks 1

This goes for everyone, not singling out anyone.  I don't mean to come of brash but I do not care if you don't spray your gear.  I am specifically asking people who do spray their gear use and how they like it.  Chiming in and saying you don't spray your gear adds nothing but clutter to the thread.  Thank you.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, beansbats said:

I think Andy is out for now.  I am very bummed.  He did say that he might get back into it down the road.

This sucks!  😭.  I guess we both have our research to do.  How about we agree to make sure we each use a different product and we can report to each other what we think compared to Andy's stuff?

Edit - wait I forgot you're already using Clear Gear for some of your gear.  Are you just going to continue using that on all of your gear?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

This goes for everyone, not singling out anyone.  I don't mean to come of brash but I do not care if you don't spray your gear.  I am specifically asking people who do spray their gear use and how they like it.  Chiming in and saying you don't spray your gear adds nothing but clutter to the thread.  Thank you.

What are you going to do about it? Ban us?

#downwithmods

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Where do you get Sweat-X?  Your current method is working for you so this might be moot, but, may I make a suggestion?  Dry your gear as you are currently doing but spray the gear once it is already done with your drying process.  I found that to be a bit more effective since you're not rushing the drying process of your spray.  Letting it sit and dry at its own rate lets it soak deeper into your gear.

Used to be over the counter at Pure Hockey.  They offered that and another product I can't recall the name of.  But they stopped selling it.  I had to order online for my last fix.  Will be doing that again, nearly out of the bottles I bought last purchase. 

Your suggestion is something to think about.  Might give it a try.  Directions say to mist but not saturate, and let air dry.  I usually put in front of fan so I could re-bag everything the next morning.

58 minutes ago, TDS-MN said:

Used to be over the counter at Pure Hockey.  They offered that and another product I can't recall the name of.  But they stopped selling it.  I had to order online for my last fix.  Will be doing that again, nearly out of the bottles I bought last purchase. 

Your suggestion is something to think about.  Might give it a try.  Directions say to mist but not saturate, and let air dry.  I usually put in front of fan so I could re-bag everything the next morning.

Ok thanks.  I think I am leaning towards Clear Gear but the Sweat X is my #2.  As far as the second part of your post, yea just dry everything out as you already do and then spray everything down with the Sweat X right before you pack it away.  That way it has a chance to get into everything before being prematurely dried by the fans blowing on it.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

This sucks!  😭.  I guess we both have our research to do.  How about we agree to make sure we each use a different product and we can report to each other what we think compared to Andy's stuff?

Edit - wait I forgot you're already using Clear Gear for some of your gear.  Are you just going to continue using that on all of your gear?

I'll keep using Clear Gear, and I'll start looking for something similar to Andy's.

• 2 weeks later...