Bauer 2x Pro Goalie Skates - Cracked !

Hey everyone ! I hope you are all doing well !

I have a question for you and I hope you had an experience like this in the past.
I bought a brand new pair of Bauer 2X Pro Goalie stakes and got a shot on the front of the skate when doing the save. It's rare that it happens there but it was from a cross pass and I had to move and slide to stop it.

I noticed after the game that the front of the state (black front part where the toes are covered) was cracked because of this shot.

I am wondering if this can be repaired in any ways, and/or if Bauer has some kind of warranty on that. It's a pair of 1000$ skates and honestly, I expected them to be bullet proof as it a top tier skate in Bauer's lineup and even Pro's in NHL uses them. They have around 35 games played.

Please let me know. I'll try to post a photo tonight.

Edited by HellCrow

• HellCrow changed the title to Bauer 2x Pro Goalie Skates - Cracked !

Bought then on sidelineswap last october but since the arena were closed, I could not play that much since.

If you say it has a 90 days warranty, I dead already ...

So my last point would be to find a way to repair them.

Any ideas ? Epoxy ? GorillaGlue ?

That’s a bummer that you can’t get a replacement. I would actually see if you couldn’t have the toe cap replaced by a good repair person before attempting a DIY repair. Depending on what materials were used in the construction, it may not take epoxy as some plastics will not stick to epoxy. If you can’t find anyone to replace the toe cap, that’s when you would gamble a DIY repair. I know that I would attach the toe from a cowling after the repair!

11 hours ago, HellCrow said:

Bought then on sidelineswap last october but since the arena were closed, I could not play that much since.

If you say it has a 90 days warranty, I dead already ...

So my last point would be to find a way to repair them.

Any ideas ? Epoxy ? GorillaGlue ?

Man that sucks, I had the 2x for a while as well, got hit in the toe a few times but nothing happened...in the end the skate just wasn't for my foot and had to go custom but I still loved them.

I think Bauer should offer it's services though to fix things, even if it's at cost.  They should because no one wants to go though the trouble. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 9:48 AM, bunnyman666 said:

That’s a bummer that you can’t get a replacement. I would actually see if you couldn’t have the toe cap replaced by a good repair person before attempting a DIY repair. Depending on what materials were used in the construction, it may not take epoxy as some plastics will not stick to epoxy. If you can’t find anyone to replace the toe cap, that’s when you would gamble a DIY repair. I know that I would attach the toe from a cowling after the repair!

Yeah I'll try to find a shop for them to have a loot at what is possible. I am hoping for the best. 

I am very surprised that it cracked. It might have hitted a very specific spot.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:19 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Can you post a pic please?

Sure, there it is !

You see the crack on the black part but also the crack continues along the way between the "Carbon" part and the black part towards left side and right side.

If I try to move the white part that holds the blade, I can see the crack opening up and closing back.

image.thumb.png.765e748b6ea0b57a50811bfb3478930e.png

image.thumb.png.fd71e564005fb7396c97350286d3707a.png

PXL_20220322_000312358.thumb.jpg.97985bb70cf440dc2018cb2f406312af.jpg

23 minutes ago, HellCrow said:

Sure, there it is !

You see the crack on the black part but also the crack continues along the way between the "Carbon" part and the black part towards left side and right side.

If I try to move the white part that holds the blade, I can see the crack opening up and closing back.

image.thumb.png.765e748b6ea0b57a50811bfb3478930e.png

image.thumb.png.fd71e564005fb7396c97350286d3707a.png

PXL_20220322_000312358.thumb.jpg.97985bb70cf440dc2018cb2f406312af.jpg

A lot of plastic like that doesn’t stick to epoxy; however, there are other glues that do stick. Then you have the problem of reinforcing around the area; unlike carbon fibre and wood repairs, it will not be stronger in that area when repaired. I would certainly see if someone could replace the toe cap before trying any DIY. 

• Like 1

The good news as I see it, is that the crack has reached the bottom of the toe cap on both sides and is fairly small.   Given that it's reached the end of the plastic it won't continue to get bigger.  At this point, the only concerns are reinforcing the plastic for safety, and doing so in a fashion that doesn't affect playability.

For the repair itself I'd probably use Kydex.  It's heat formable and adheres with Plastic Welder or even super glue.  

• Like 1

FOLLOW-UP

I sent an email to a local shop here in Montréal called ARS Sport with the photos. http://www.arssport.com/en/contact.html
I went there a few years back to replace my blocker palm and the bottom of my old goalie pads. They did an awesome job.

They replied back to me 2 days ago and they would be able to proceed with the repair by replacing the toe cap for 85$CAD with a 2 days delay for doing the job.

Looks like it's going to be the way I'll go for as it will be a pro repair and the job will mostly be guaranteed if anything happens soon after.
I'll keep you posted with another follow-up !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HellCrow said:

FOLLOW-UP

I sent an email to a local shop here in Montréal called ARS Sport with the photos. http://www.arssport.com/en/contact.html
I went there a few years back to replace my blocker palm and the bottom of my old goalie pads. They did an awesome job.

They replied back to me 2 days ago and they would be able to proceed with the repair by replacing the toe cap for 85$CAD with a 2 days delay for doing the job.

Looks like it's going to be the way I'll go for as it will be a pro repair and the job will mostly be guaranteed if anything happens soon after.
I'll keep you posted with another follow-up !

I think you will be much happier with a properly replaced toe cap. 

• Like 1