Vinyl Mask Wraps

I had JF Aumais wrap my mask last weekend. Very easy to work with and quick. 

One thing to note is that the wrap is done in multiple segments so there are seams everywhere that will likely lift and peel over time. I was thinking it was one large piece of vinyl that was masterfully places on the mask. Maybe common sense to some but I was a bit disappointed. There is some bubbling here and there and some sloppy creases on the edges of the Lemonhead on the back plate.

Also, try to keep the background color of your wrap as the same color as your mask. My mask is black and the white borders on my wrap are just small pieces of vinyl that were just cut and patched worked on. Looks good from afar but not super stoked because those small pieces will likely come off before long. Wouldn’t have had to do that if my mask was white. 

9B8468C0-2DB3-4D2E-9BC0-9BC4DC9DE444.jpeg

C9B95468-777E-433C-87C5-87B5784C841E.jpeg

D0B78F9C-3EFC-46EA-8420-66E53DC8E5EE.jpeg

7D3BAEE3-6620-460E-A5C5-A45329CD1FE1.jpeg

16 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I gotta ask @Punisher Goalie @Patrick Roy's Wink @Imperative and anyone else who's gotta their mask wrapped

After the application was put on, were there several (or any) small air bubbles in the vinyl? Please be truthful

I carefully looked at my mask and I couldn't find or see any air bubbles. 

2 hours ago, kunkarunkle said:

One thing to note is that the wrap is done in multiple segments so there are seams everywhere that will likely lift and peel over time. I was thinking it was one large piece of vinyl that was masterfully places on the mask. Maybe common sense to some but I was a bit disappointed. There is some bubbling here and there and some sloppy creases on the edges of the Lemonhead on the back plate.

My mask is comprised of 6 pieces of vinyl. One on each side of the mask. One on the forehead and one on the chin which are used to hide the seams between each vinyl piece on the sides of the mask and 2 vinyl pieces of the back plate. One is the background and the other is the image. I knew going into this that multiple pieces were going to be used. Its not to noticeable and I don't mi nd it. My only real complaint is that I wish the purple stripe with black outline was cut in a cleaner straight line. 

He took the image below and did some series photoshopping to make it work on a mask. He made several mockups to accommodate all my requests.  Overall I'm a happy customer and it was much cheaper than getting it painted. I highly recommend JF Aumais and I would consider getting another mask done if I had one! lol

I'll do a review by the end of summer or earlier regarding its durability. 

received_1352097144930855.thumb.jpeg.4ae32fc8e7cca723d855760bfd38b3c7.jpeg

tmnt_30th_anniversary_cover_by_dovianax_d7xomvx-fullview.jpg

I took another look at my mask when I got home from work and found that the vinyl is already lifting in some places. Haven’t even played in it yet 

I’m now I bit wary of sweating and drinking water in this thing. Guess this is a mainly temporary alternative to painting? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, kunkarunkle said:

I took another look at my mask when I got home from work and found that the vinyl is already lifting in some places. Haven’t even played in it yet 

I’m now I bit wary of sweating and drinking water in this thing. Guess this is a mainly temporary alternative to painting? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's odd. I've seen vinyl last full OHL seasons. I guess you should find out what they used as an adhesive and redo those areas. Your mask should be fine.

5 hours ago, kunkarunkle said:

You could try putting some clear nail polish on the edges to keep it from lifting.

I'v only seen one mask up close with vinyl on it. And it had pin top-size air bubbles scattered throughout it and a rough finish throughout the perimeter and vent holes. It really turned me off from the idea and cancelled my order on the spot. Could tell the dude was really annoyed at that but he couldn't explain all the imperfections.

That was through only one place that did it, maybe others have had better success.

Depending on the vinyl used there should be a diamond pattern on the backside on the adhesive that helps release air bubbles when applied (automotive wrap) w/o the use of application fluid to aid in air bubble removal. A heat gun or hair dryer should get the wrap to stick on momentarily but not a overall solution to keeping the vinyl from peeling again.

I personally used that type vinyl once for an install job as the vinyl itself is very expensive (3m stuff that was subcontracted to us for install). I was told that there should be no residue or dirt on the surface, as it would effect the adhesive. 

I’ve had Mark from skinfxwraps do two different mask wraps for my son.  The process was what you’d hope- great design work based on what we asked, great follow up, quick application and turnaround once we sent him the mask.  I think the wait was a  month or two for an opening in his schedule but we kept the mask until a few days before he needed it and had it back in a week or so.  The cost was more than the guys you’re mentioning, I believe $300 for the wrap, but I could be off by a few bucks either way.  I know $300 is a chunk of change but from any distance it’s hard to tell from paint and you can’t touch the design you can get for anywhere near $300 if painted.  Check out his Instagram for some examples.

The actual craftsmanship of the wraps was jaw droppingly flawless.  Getting vinyl to lay right on masks is hard.  Even the basic stripe kits or basic mascot sets by Leblanc, etc. are fairly difficult  to get right with the curves of the mask.  Printed designs are harder, at least for me. Heat the vinyl too much and it stretches and your lion now looks like a walrus.  Seeing the job Mark did, with complex art on the vinyl, laid out perfectly, not a stretced graphic or a bubble on there.  Literally zero bubbles. The durability has been great.  Edges, including triangle or round cut outs, are double sealed with clear tape by Mark.  I didn’t have high hopes for it lasting long but it made it through a full year, figure 200 games/practices at the high school level, without a tear.  When he needed a new mask I didn’t hesitate to send in the second one to Mark.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:57 AM, jc57 said:

I’ve had Mark from skinfxwraps do two different mask wraps for my son.  The process was what you’d hope- great design work based on what we asked, great follow up, quick application and turnaround once we sent him the mask.  I think the wait was a  month or two for an opening in his schedule but we kept the mask until a few days before he needed it and had it back in a week or so.  The cost was more than the guys you’re mentioning, I believe $300 for the wrap, but I could be off by a few bucks either way.  I know $300 is a chunk of change but from any distance it’s hard to tell from paint and you can’t touch the design you can get for anywhere near $300 if painted.  Check out his Instagram for some examples.

The actual craftsmanship of the wraps was jaw droppingly flawless.  Getting vinyl to lay right on masks is hard.  Even the basic stripe kits or basic mascot sets by Leblanc, etc. are fairly difficult  to get right with the curves of the mask.  Printed designs are harder, at least for me. Heat the vinyl too much and it stretches and your lion now looks like a walrus.  Seeing the job Mark did, with complex art on the vinyl, laid out perfectly, not a stretced graphic or a bubble on there.  Literally zero bubbles. The durability has been great.  Edges, including triangle or round cut outs, are double sealed with clear tape by Mark.  I didn’t have high hopes for it lasting long but it made it through a full year, figure 200 games/practices at the high school level, without a tear.  When he needed a new mask I didn’t hesitate to send in the second one to Mark.

I second Skinfx.  My experience with Mark was fairly good.  The mask came out great except for one thing that I will get to later.  My only knock on him is sometimes he can be slow to respond to messages.  Maybe it was the mode of communications, I don't know, but we spoke via Facebook Messenger through his company page.  Maybe he is faster with email.  Other than that he was great.  He executed the design I wanted.  He already had his design that I saw several examples of and I wanted something a little different.  He pulled it off quite nicely.  I have 0 air bubbles anywhere, nor do I have any raised edges from the vinyl.  Mark uses a clear vinyl to seal the edges.  That clear cover has some raised areas along the outside rim of the mask but its not a lot.  

My mask, unfortunately, had a problem with what was mentioned about being able to properly fit the design onto the shape of the mask.  The "facemask" portion of the design just would not line up correctly.  He said he tried and tried but he couldn't get it to line up with out compromising that "layer" of the vinyl.  For reference, my mask is posted earlier in this thread.

I had one from SkinFx. It was fine.  Not great.  The seams were noticeable and there was some bubbling.  I think that I was disappointed because for $300 I was expecting closer to a paint job (based on all the Facebook pics, they look flawless, but clearly aren't).  Heck, my first paint job was only $450.  I think it's a good alternative if you can't afford a paint job, but don't think it's the same.  

Didn't have any peeling with it.  

My SkinFX experience was pretty similar to @SaveByRichter35 and @jc57, right down to the communication.  Facebook messenger, he was pretty quick to respond initially, then once we were into the details of the design things slowed down a bit.  But when he did reply he had an entire new concept for me to look at, it wasn't just like a minor tweak necessarily.

Mine was the lower end of his range, $250 I think, plus $50 for the backplate.  That's for my potvin graphic with the wings and old Thrashers 3rd logo on top.  $350 will get you the kind of thing others have posted and that you'll see on AHL guys on his insta page.

The vinyl on my mask is several pieces, basically a purple base (however many pieces to cover the mask), and then the chin graphic, the side graphics, the eyes and the top graphic were all different pieces, no peeling issues with any of them.  All the edges and vent holes finished with the clear tape.  That was my biggest fear, seeing how it is kind of folded/sectioned to align with the rounded edges, but I haven't had any issues with peeling.  There was a small blemish on the chin that was either from shipping it from him to Masked Marvel, or from MM to me, but it also hasn't changed in almost 2 years.  Took a clapper between the eyes that pushed the cage up into the vinyl at the forehead, so there's a slight bunching/tearing right behind the cage bar, but that hasn't gotten any worse either.

Hey there!

first time poster, was heavy about GSBB and GGSU back in the day!

Has anybody tried making their own designs and using a cricut? I’ve thought about using vinyl (also play lacrosse and very familiar with decals/head wrap designs)...

also, if so, what template would you use?

@ULTIMA just a quick follow up - hopefully I have time for a more detailed review or video. 

I did not find any bubbles on mine, but mine had a few issues on arrival similar to @Patrick Roy's Wink above. A few spots around the edges and some of the vent holes where the vinyl wasn’t perfectly adhered to the mask. Seemed to be only on curved areas FWIW. 

My solution was pretty simple: I hit these areas with some medium heat with a hair dryer and pressed the vinyl into the mask. Two skates and several days later, everything is still perfect. JF is amazing to deal with and did a pretty great job with the install, so since the fix was really easy on my end, I am very happy with the final result. I haven’t asked him, but I’m wondering whether those issues were present when he finished his process or whether the vinyl pulled up later. Either way, looks like it’s in good shape now. 

Keep in mind, he charges $180 CAD for the vinyl and the install, but more importantly, he does an original design for each buyer and is wonderful to work with. Great communication and he was willing to submit several proofs for me to review/approve. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@ULTIMA just a quick follow up - hopefully I have time for a more detailed review or video. 

I did not find any bubbles on mine, but mine had a few issues on arrival similar to @Patrick Roy's Wink above. A few spots around the edges and some of the vent holes where the vinyl wasn’t perfectly adhered to the mask. Seemed to be only on curved areas FWIW. 

My solution was pretty simple: I hit these areas with some medium heat with a hair dryer and pressed the vinyl into the mask. Two skates and several days later, everything is still perfect. JF is amazing to deal with and did a pretty great job with the install, so since the fix was really easy on my end, I am very happy with the final result. I haven’t asked him, but I’m wondering whether those issues were present when he finished his process or whether the vinyl pulled up later. Either way, looks like it’s in good shape now. 

Keep in mind, he charges $180 CAD for the vinyl and the install, but more importantly, he does an original design for each buyer and is wonderful to work with. Great communication and he was willing to submit several proofs for me to review/approve. 

+1 for this. Just used the hair dryer and it worked like a charm. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Sportmask Mage back from JF Aumais. Once I got this idea in my head, I couldn’t get it out... Vinyl was in excellent shape this time, no issues. Note that this helmet was black and the vinyl is definitely opaque. Other than the black you may see in the vent holes, I wouldn’t be worried about covering black with this product. Now to order a gold cage to complete the look...

190690B8-7065-4DDF-8549-2B6EF33B0184.jpeg

A5DB77E8-E53E-4268-8FB3-D21266831580.jpeg

2916C591-B3F2-40A7-BBA6-31C279946126.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, Burgalicious said:

Hey there!

first time poster, was heavy about GSBB and GGSU back in the day!

Has anybody tried making their own designs and using a cricut? I’ve thought about using vinyl (also play lacrosse and very familiar with decals/head wrap designs)...

also, if so, what template would you use?

I own a Cricut. Of course I am infamous for making Pooper gear with mine. 

I suppose you could do anything that is in a Vector format. Now you can even use the Vector on an iPhone/iPad. I put funky stars on a SK2000 inspired clone, but admit that I haven’t gotten too far from advertising my hair and skate sharpening businesses on the face of my pads and converting my brand names to Pooper. 

I would recommend the Siser vinyl over the Cricut stuff, as it is better than the Cricut and cheaper to boot!

BE486DA9-A94E-42EA-A506-2DDA08A3E90D.jpeg

D562E0AF-D90B-4BD8-97B0-86BD1409B077.jpeg

56151F9B-590F-490D-B28E-2EC7E8C14810.jpeg

10507546-8249-4FB6-AAE7-334D71472AAF.jpeg

25CAFA15-0EBD-4839-BA4D-20353ADA1C71.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:35 PM, itis121 said:

Depending on the vinyl used there should be a diamond pattern on the backside on the adhesive that helps release air bubbles when applied (automotive wrap) w/o the use of application fluid to aid in air bubble removal. A heat gun or hair dryer should get the wrap to stick on momentarily but not a overall solution to keeping the vinyl from peeling again.

I personally used that type vinyl once for an install job as the vinyl itself is very expensive (3m stuff that was subcontracted to us for install). I was told that there should be no residue or dirt on the surface, as it would effect the adhesive. 

Bingo. There are a lot of people selling what is essentially printable sign making vinyl (bumper stickers) as a full on “vinyl wrap”, when the actual 3M product is VERY expensive. No- there should be VERY minimal bubbles, IF ANY. I got a so-called “vinyl wrap” and it was nothing more than bumper sticker vinyl that I became so incredibly frustrated with it that I scrapped the project in disgust! I couldn’t even get the stuff to flatten out on a bass drum resonant (front) drum head! The good stuff should get around the curves of a helmet; after all- people who get a $85K Jaguar wrapped get the mirrors and everything wrapped; wouldn’t you think that this particular customer wouldn’t have a litter of kittens from bubbles and lifting?  

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@TheGoalNet is the chrome actually reflective? I’ve been wondering if wraps could achieve the mirror and/or metallic look. I assume it’s possible but wasn’t sure which wrap producer(s) can do it. 

If you look at my mask posted back in this thread, it was supposed to give a metallic silver effect.  From far away I think it kind of looks like it is metallic but when you look at it up close you can see its definitely not.

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you look at my mask posted back in this thread, it was supposed to give a metallic silver effect.  From far away I think it kind of looks like it is metallic but when you look at it up close you can see its definitely not.

Is there a rule for goalie masks that is parallel to the player helmet visor rule, where it has to be transparent (tinted/mirrored visors are not allowed at the IIHF level)? Maybe there should be one, if only to reduce the number of SparkleFX(tm) paint jobs :)