Carey Price Gear Changes

TheGoalNet

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - Not sure how much that is a rumor or a fact. 

Given the current NHL's salary cap rules, it makes sense. They are probably not going to be a real contender within 3 years. Trade you best player for as many pics as you can get and then utilize his cap space to try and rebuild 

Yeah- one of my customers kids was talking about it, and I did not know if it was rumour or fact, as each of the 30 other teams had what the Habs would want. The more I think about it, it could have been theoretical trades...

Salary cap has proven to be interesting, and I am STILL surprised that the Pens repeated. 

10 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - Not sure how much that is a rumor or a fact. 

Given the current NHL's salary cap rules, it makes sense. They are probably not going to be a real contender within 3 years. Trade you best player for as many pics as you can get and then utilize his cap space to try and rebuild 

We've been trying to rebuild for the past 10 years...enough already. I wish they'd stop looking for that magic pill and just mold the team as a single well connected force.

I wouldn't trade Price at this time or anytime soon. But as a Canadiens fan, the only goalies I'd want to see him moved for that are of the same value are Quick or Lundqvist.  I wouldn't mind a straight up swap deal for either of those guys.

1 hour ago, ULTIMA said:

I wouldn't trade Price at this time or anytime soon. But as a Canadiens fan, the only goalies I'd want to see him moved for that are of the same value are Quick or Lundqvist.  I wouldn't mind a straight up swap deal for either of those guys.

At risk of derailing this thread, a straight swap of Price for Lundqvist would be absolutely brutal for the Habs. Like...as bad as the McDonagh/Gomez trade, or even the Subban/Webber trade. Maybe worse. 

7 minutes ago, Murray said:

At risk of derailing this thread, a straight swap of Price for Lundqvist would be absolutely brutal for the Habs. Like...as bad as the McDonagh/Gomez trade, or even the Subban/Webber trade. Maybe worse. 

As I said, I don't want to trade him. But if I had to (as far as goalies are concerned), those two in my opinion are all that's of equal value.

I think it'd be a bad trade for both parties:

• The receiver gets a goalie closer to his back nine years. A sometimes transcendent goalie, yet one with a litany of knee and lower body injuries, some of them major. Oh, and on a bloated contract that goes until the end of time.
  • The Habs get prospects and young talent prime for Lefebvre to botch their development, then get misused at the NHL level until they go to Europe or another NHL team. And draft picks, which they will either trade or draft busts with, and once again fail to develop the talent they do get. That or get tons of 3rd and 4th liners, seeing as Bergevin loves those.
  • Also; depending on the trade, the Habs get another goalie in return. The few teams with potential starters are hoarding them. You'd be getting a mediocre to average starter for a team that has one of the worst defensive rosters in the league, and an offense that scores 0 to 1 goal a game.

Looks like this era of Canadiens will be...Hab-beens. Wakka, wakka!

PS: Poor Gallagher. Love that dude.

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

For Price’s sake, moving him to Carolina, STL, or Long Island would be great. Give him and his young family a break from the crazies 

I was thinking Florida. No press down there. Luongo's gotta be close to retiring too.

It must be exhausting playing in Montreal (or Toronto, New York, Philadelphia for goalies).  It's really a catch-22 scenario:

Team can't attract free agents, nobody wants to play there because of the pressure.
Everyone loves when they win, but get critical pieces written on them when they lose.

The piece I linked about the Roy/Vernon conversation in a diner really illustrates this.
Summary: Vernon goes to grab breakfast at a diner, bumps into Roy.  Roy says he wants to quit hockey because he can't stand the pressure.  Vernon suggests Roy request a trade.  That night, Detroit blows out Montreal and Roy demands the trade.  They go beat the shit out of each other 2 years later. LOL

Carey disclosing his chronic fatigue issues must have something to do with the stress of his job.
He's widely regarded as the best goalie in the world, playing in one of the biggest hockey markets in the most important position.
IMO the franchise has really fallen victim to its own history of success.
This is a market that demands a French-speaking head coach; I highly doubt they'll accept a non-Canadian goalie.

Archived