Pad fitment question

TDS-MN

Hey All,

I will preface this post by stating that I am dealing with used stuff I can acquire via craigslist or used stores.  

My current set is an older pair of TPS Xceeds, 34".  I enjoy them but they are 12" wide.  I use them for pickup games etc, but they don't meet current 'legal' spec.  They seem to fit well enough, I landed at this size after finding my ATK measurement of 17.25 approx.

I was able to find a different used set in nice condition that I was interested in, but they are 35+1.  In testing the fit they seemed to ride a little high, which isn't totally a surprise given they are a bit longer.  Is there any way to adjust them to maybe better meet my fit, or should I keep digging for a better math size-wise.  Felt like I couldn't get my knee to land on the stack consistently, but this was simply dropping to floor, not really a true representation of play on ice.  Holding them up to my leg, with my foot at the boot break, the knee stack feels like it is where I would like it, so I am wondering if there are any hints to get them to fit/stay lower?  Or maybe I just cannot fit into a 35" pad?  Looking for advice from one more experienced than I.  Thanks in advance!

Generally, if you're going an inch up in overall size across the same model, the knee stack is going to sit half an inch higher on your leg

You can try working in the boot a little more to get the pads to ride lower, or curve the pads below the knee so the knee stack angles backwards a bit more...but IMO it's not worth it to "try to make something work"

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, TDS-MN said:

Hey All,

I will preface this post by stating that I am dealing with used stuff I can acquire via craigslist or used stores.  

My current set is an older pair of TPS Xceeds, 34".  I enjoy them but they are 12" wide.  I use them for pickup games etc, but they don't meet current 'legal' spec.  They seem to fit well enough, I landed at this size after finding my ATK measurement of 17.25 approx.

I was able to find a different used set in nice condition that I was interested in, but they are 35+1.  In testing the fit they seemed to ride a little high, which isn't totally a surprise given they are a bit longer.  Is there any way to adjust them to maybe better meet my fit, or should I keep digging for a better math size-wise.  Felt like I couldn't get my knee to land on the stack consistently, but this was simply dropping to floor, not really a true representation of play on ice.  Holding them up to my leg, with my foot at the boot break, the knee stack feels like it is where I would like it, so I am wondering if there are any hints to get them to fit/stay lower?  Or maybe I just cannot fit into a 35" pad?  Looking for advice from one more experienced than I.  Thanks in advance!

Look for something that is 34". You should be able to fit most manufacturers' pads in that size. Bauer might be tricky, because their pads are slightly undersized compared to those of other manufacturers. I have a 17.5 ATK, and I wear a 35" (Large) set of Bauer pads. I would be a 35" in Warrior, because my FTK of 20.375 is too big for a 34" pad (the measurements for a 34" pad are between 19.75 and 20.25 FTK). In CCM and most other manufacturers' pads, I'd be a 34.

If you have a shop near you, go there and try on pads of different sizes for different manufacturers. Then look online for pads in your sizes. There is not very much you can do to adjust a pad down in size, nor does it make sense to play with a pad that is too small. For a pad too big, the thigh rises might stick together when you try to get up, and your skating will be adversely affected. 

I tried to make my.too-small pads work,  with first my 33+1 CCM Premier IIs, and then with my Medium (34+1) Bauer 1S Od1ns, but I could not close the five hole no matter what I did in the CCMs, and my knees would hit the ice when I butterflied in my old Bauers, because they slipped out of the stacks. Knowing that these sizes were too small, I was able to find a better size. Hopefully this helps. 

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't really sure how big of a leap to 35 would be from my current 34's.  given that my ATK measurements had me right in there between, depending on whose chart you consult.  But with the 35's in question, it seemed like I was almost fully missing the knee stack.   They were also set up with Pro Laces for the toes, which I haven't experienced before.  They seemed to really push the pads up, but I wasn't sure if that was really the cause or if the size was the big difference.  I may go back and see if they are still there and see what might be if I leave those undone.  

I've wanted to 'upgrade' to some modern, legal sized pads, but finding some that are in at least as good of shape as my old Xceeds has been a real struggle, at least in my price range.  If I played more often, I would be more willing to drop more $$.  But I am currently like once every couple months or so.  Frequency usually picks up for fall/winter.

Oh, and I see I mis-typed a 17 instead of the 19 intended in my first post.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:50 AM, TDS-MN said:

Hey All,

On 4/13/2022 at 10:51 AM, TDS-MN said:

Thanks for the replies.  I wasn't really sure how big of a leap to 35 would be from my current 34's.  given that my ATK measurements had me right in there between, depending on whose chart you consult.  But with the 35's in question, it seemed like I was almost fully missing the knee stack.   They were also set up with Pro Laces for the toes, which I haven't experienced before.  They seemed to really push the pads up, but I wasn't sure if that was really the cause or if the size was the big difference.  I may go back and see if they are still there and see what might be if I leave those undone.  

I've wanted to 'upgrade' to some modern, legal sized pads, but finding some that are in at least as good of shape as my old Xceeds has been a real struggle, at least in my price range.  If I played more often, I would be more willing to drop more $$.  But I am currently like once every couple months or so.  Frequency usually picks up for fall/winter.

Oh, and I see I mis-typed a 17 instead of the 19 intended in my first post.

So to clarify, you are a 19.25 ATK?

Pads are going to fit differently than they did from +/- 15 years ago when your Xceeds were made, especially in the bigger sizes.

In the past, manufacturers would add inches to all three zones (thigh, shin, boot) of the pad as you went up in size.  Nowadays, most will have a standardized boot and will just add to the shin and thigh.

Is your knee landing below the knee block or above?  What make/model pad is the 35+1?  All manufacturers size differently so specifics will help.

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

So to clarify, you are a 19.25 ATK?

Pads are going to fit differently than they did from +/- 15 years ago when your Xceeds were made, especially in the bigger sizes.

In the past, manufacturers would add inches to all three zones (thigh, shin, boot) of the pad as you went up in size.  Nowadays, most will have a standardized boot and will just add to the shin and thigh.

Is your knee landing below the knee block or above?  What make/model pad is the 35+1?  All manufacturers size differently so specifics will help.

19.25 ATK would be very different. You would be either a 36 or a 37 depending on the manufacturer. This might put you in either an XL or an XXL in Bauer.

Are you saying that your knee lands above the stack? If so, your pads are too small, and you need something bigger. Thus, trying a 36" pad would make perfect sense. 

Sorry for the confusion.  Update, I decided to just go ahead and buy these 35+1.  They are Vortek VK7.  A "Who?" kind of brand.  Seems they were not around very long back in their day, and I can't find any sizing info online due to them not existing anymore.  But this particular set was very low cost, and in very clean shape.  So I figured I'd just take the chance and bring them home where I could really mess with them.  

Initially it felt like I was missing the knee stack, but it was really more a case that I was rolling off and toward the front of the pad.  These stacks are thicker than what I had on my old pads, and they have velcro between each of the layers.  I was able to adjust that to change the 'offset' between the various layers and now it seems that I can land on there much more consistently, at least on my basement floor.  Not sure how soon I will find a game to give these a shot on the ice surface.  Another thing I've been doing with them so far is working the boot break, that is still very stiff and not as 'folded' as my Xceeds, and so far getting that a little more flexible has also seemed to be improving how they ride on my leg and skate.

So I am guardedly excited to give these a try.  Just being able to spend some more time screwing around with the fit has been encouraging so far.