Goalie Shoes

ilyazhito

Ball hockey goalies, how do you integrate boot straps and/or toe ties with your shoes?

Do you look for shoes with holes in them where the boot strap and toe ties go?

Do you cut or punch holes in your shoes to make your straps work?

Or do you buy shoes designed for ball hockey goalies?

I'm curious, because I'd like to mod sneakers to use them to play ball hockey. I use ProLaces, and want to make sure I get the rotation control benefits of them the same as I do on ice, without damaging them by having them go under my foot and on the floor. Is there a way to cut holes into sneakers that doesn't cause them to fall apart? 

Here’s what I do on my ball hockey pads, it works really well.

I melt 2 small holes in the front of my shoes using an awl that I heat up with a torch. Then I pass a short piece of line in through one of the holes and then back out the other hole.
  Then I tie the line together with an overhand knot and then seal it using some crazy glue.
    Next I make a loop of shock cord and attach it to a section of lacing on my pads in the boot/ ankle area. I have a couple of SS O rings that I attached to my pads when I made them however it would be quite easy to tie off an o ring to the toe tie attachment on most pads .

Then I run the loop of shock cord through the O rings and the use a larks head knot to attach the shock cord loop to the knotted line in my shoe.

C9B51DF7-AC21-4028-8EE1-8827F8F2D085.jpeg

ED86711B-4C49-459B-A0E7-9590D40FC9D2.jpeg

F0D513CD-7FC7-48F3-9ACE-724533FE1233.jpeg

C6C0A6F9-32E9-44A8-8F32-0F1D07EAA260.jpeg

B488946A-948B-47E2-9648-8C315DF927B4.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ross said:

Here’s what I do on my ball hockey pads, it works really well.

I melt 2 small holes in the front of my shoes using an awl that I heat up with a torch. Then I pass a short piece of line in through one of the holes and then back out the other hole.
  Then I tie the line together with an overhand knot and then seal it using some crazy glue.
    Next I make a loop of shock cord and attach it to a section of lacing on my pads in the boot/ ankle area. I have a couple of SS O rings that I attached to my pads when I made them however it would be quite easy to tie off an o ring to the toe tie attachment on most pads .

Then I run the loop of shock cord through the O rings and the use a larks head knot to attach the shock cord loop to the knotted line in my shoe.

C9B51DF7-AC21-4028-8EE1-8827F8F2D085.jpeg

ED86711B-4C49-459B-A0E7-9590D40FC9D2.jpeg

F0D513CD-7FC7-48F3-9ACE-724533FE1233.jpeg

C6C0A6F9-32E9-44A8-8F32-0F1D07EAA260.jpeg

B488946A-948B-47E2-9648-8C315DF927B4.jpeg

That's an interesting setup. I'm not sure how that would work for ProLaces.

Is there a way to sew a loop onto the shoes' heels, or to widen a loop that is already there?

On 4/13/2022 at 8:40 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Yes!!!!!

Thank you!

When I played some ball hockey in the gym at College, I wore work boots with large stretched out wool socks over them for sliding. Back then pads were still toe buckles and straps, so tying them to the boot wasn't an option.

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 1

I think your best bet is going with reasony or knapper ball hockey shoes but you need to put the boot strap a la lundy loop with the knapper shoes (i had the ak7 model and mine held up for about 100 games. I don't use any toe attachment on my pads so i can't comment on these. 

The hagan shoes are cheap for a reason, here is what mine looked after a 39 minutes game on sportcourt tiles. 

The only issue i had with my reasony shoes after about 60 games was loosing one of the screws attaching the toe cap in place. It seems that these are screwed directly in the sole so there is not much holding these in place. I have tried gluing them to no avail, so i just gave up and lost one. 

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

20 minutes ago, McO said:

I think your best bet is going with reasony or knapper ball hockey shoes but you need to put the boot strap a la lundy loop with the knapper shoes (i had the ak7 model and mine held up for about 100 games. I don't use any toe attachment on my pads so i can't comment on these. 

The hagan shoes are cheap for a reason, here is what mine looked after a 39 minutes game on sportcourt tiles. 

The only issue i had with my reasony shoes after about 60 games was loosing one of the screws attaching the toe cap in place. It seems that these are screwed directly in the sole so there is not much holding these in place. I have tried gluing them to no avail, so i just gave up and lost one. 

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4231.JPG

Interesting. Do the Knappers have a boot strap slot? Maybe I might be able to fit my ProLaces through that. 

9 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That sucks. How do Knapper users tie their boot laces and/or toe ties?

I might have to check out Unihoc and see what options they have. 

I played with unihocs also and those were great too. They were really light and flexible but mine did not have any places for toe ties. Durability was not an issue as i've played about 2 40 games seasons before replacing them.

Edited by McO

2 hours ago, McO said:

I played with unihocs also and those were great too. They were really light and flexible but mine did not have any places for toe ties. Durability was not an issue as i've played about 2 40 games seasons before replacing them.

Interesting. Where did you put the boot strap on those? I'm asking, so I could know if there is a place to run ProLaces.