Bauer custom ordering questions

wvuviv30

I'm about to place an order for some new "Mach" gear and I am going through my local retailer.  Without having them asking 120938 questions to the Bauer rep, I am hoping that I can get some help here.  My retailer isn't very knowledgeable in Goalie equipment, but I have a long-standing relationship with my retailer.

In years past, I’ve pretty much picked up off the shelf retail stuff and adapted to it.  

Leg Pads: I loved the feel & flex of my EF2 pads, but recently picked up a pair of V9s and I feel that the V9's have too much rotational flex for me)

Catcher: I have gotten accustomed and love the Original 600 break. I picked up a V9 (2pc) and I like the face/angles, but don’t like the ‘wide U’ break and it feels like it's sliding off my band. I recently picked up a Bauer Vanecek (reskinned NXG) return and like the comfort/feel but going to take a few games to get use the slightly different catch surface. I have tried an EF4-600 and the tweaks they did, didn’t feel the same as the OG-600 break, it was very weird. I also tried a Optik2 and I like the feel/comfort but I couldn’t catch a puck at all.

Blocker: I love the older CCM/Lefevre bindless blocker, currently I have a new EF5 and the slide release strap never stays put. I’ve tried a Vaughn VE8 and hated the sloppy/floppiness off it; I also tried a Optik2 and it felt like the blocker was always falling off my hand.

Here is what I am looking at for my first ever custom set, but I have a few questions:

Pads: 

Construction: Mach profile with the either Ultrasonic or Mach flex.  Which one is similar to the Eflex2 flex?

Boot: 100 degree - Soft

Knee Block: What’s the difference between Stabilislide, Stabilflex and Traditional w/ Pro Bump?

Knee Wing: adjustable (may remove it later, I have in the past), 

Calf Bracket: Mach or not bracket, what is this?

True Fit Connect: what’s the difference between the Supreme and Vapor?

Strapping: IF I add leather straps, can they be removed later?  Does the Knee leather strap angle below the knee (a la Carey Price style)? 

Boot Strap: Can I get both CRS and Leather?  I did like having the leather strap on the EF2 over the elastic on the V9.

Toe Ties: stock/bungee  

Catcher:

Mach with Pro-Palm (I like the feel & stiffness, and I’ve been using one for nearly 20 years) 

Wrist strap: Added, I like the feel.

Poron – is it needed? What’s the benefits/negatives?

Pocket Lacing: Nylon

T-Trap – Double with Reinforced T

Palm Maternal: probably Nash, my Vancek’s pro return has it and I like the softness; but my CCM’s have always had the grip.  I wonder how the Mach grip print is?

Blocker:

Hyperlite (I like the open cuff over the Mach)

Pillow – no thumb pillow

Pads: 

Construction: Mach profile with the either Ultrasonic or Mach flex.  Which one is similar to the Eflex2 flex?

Knee Block: What’s the difference between Stabilislide, Stabilflex and Traditional w/ Pro Bump?

Calf Bracket: Mach or not bracket, what is this?

Looks similar to the True calf system

True Fit Connect: what’s the difference between the Supreme and Vapor?

I've used Vapor and like it.  Supposedly it's more secure than Supreme.

Catcher:

Poron – is it needed? What’s the benefits/negatives?

I've got it in the finger area of my Ultrasonic glove.   I wouldn't reccomend it, the glove is way stiffer than the stock retail units I saw

Blocker:

Love my HL blocker!  Good choice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvuviv30 said:

I'm about to place an order for some new "Mach" gear and I am going through my local retailer.  Without having them asking 120938 questions to the Bauer rep, I am hoping that I can get some help here.  My retailer isn't very knowledgeable in Goalie equipment, but I have a long-standing relationship with my retailer.

In years past, I’ve pretty much picked up off the shelf retail stuff and adapted to it.  

Leg Pads: I loved the feel & flex of my EF2 pads, but recently picked up a pair of V9s and I feel that the V9's have too much rotational flex for me)

Catcher: I have gotten accustomed and love the Original 600 break. I picked up a V9 (2pc) and I like the face/angles, but don’t like the ‘wide U’ break and it feels like it's sliding off my band. I recently picked up a Bauer Vanecek (reskinned NXG) return and like the comfort/feel but going to take a few games to get use the slightly different catch surface. I have tried an EF4-600 and the tweaks they did, didn’t feel the same as the OG-600 break, it was very weird. I also tried a Optik2 and I like the feel/comfort but I couldn’t catch a puck at all.

Blocker: I love the older CCM/Lefevre bindless blocker, currently I have a new EF5 and the slide release strap never stays put. I’ve tried a Vaughn VE8 and hated the sloppy/floppiness off it; I also tried a Optik2 and it felt like the blocker was always falling off my hand.

Here is what I am looking at for my first ever custom set, but I have a few questions:

Pads: 

Knee Block: What’s the difference between Stabilislide, Stabilflex and Traditional w/ Pro Bump?

Calf Bracket: Mach or not bracket, what is this?

Strapping: IF I add leather straps, can they be removed later?  Does the Knee leather strap angle below the knee (a la Carey Price style)? 

Boot Strap: Can I get both CRS and Leather?  I did like having the leather strap on the EF2 over the elastic on the V9.

Toe Ties: stock/bungee  

Catcher:

Mach with Pro-Palm (I like the feel & stiffness, and I’ve been using one for nearly 20 years) 

Wrist strap: Added, I like the feel.

Palm Maternal: probably Nash, my Vancek’s pro return has it and I like the softness; but my CCM’s have always had the grip.  I wonder how the Mach grip print is?

Blocker:

Pillow – no thumb pillow

If you're a hybrid-type goalie, which your pad history shows you to be, I'm curious why you're looking for a Mach pad (continuation of the Supreme series)  which is targeted at butterfly/positional goalies rather than the Vapor pad series.

Vapor should give you the tight pad feel which you seem to prefer. It's a softer pad that still gives hard rebounds, though not as much as a so-called butterfly pad specifically designed for hard rebounds. 

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

If you're a hybrid-type goalie, which your pad history shows you to be, I'm curious why you're looking for a Mach pad (continuation of the Supreme series)  which is targeted at butterfly/positional goalies rather than the Vapor pad series.

Vapor should give you the tight pad feel which you seem to prefer. It's a softer pad that still gives hard rebounds, though not as much as a so-called butterfly pad specifically designed for hard rebounds. 

I self classify myself as a 'hybrid' goalie, but I like the open leg channel.  The EF2's pads don't flex nearly as much as the V9's.

2 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

great feedback

if @wvuviv30 is going custom though, he can order Hyperlite flex, stabiliflex kee, and 100 deg boot. That will be very close to HL, but with the updated features of the Mach

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

great feedback

if @wvuviv30 is going custom though, he can order Hyperlite flex, stabiliflex kee, and 100 deg boot. That will be very close to HL, but with the updated features of the Mach

That's interesting. It's curious that Bauer can design a butterfly pad, yet allow it to be customized to match a hybrid pad in terms of performance. Perhaps it looks to get people who want the Mach graphics on the Hyperlite 2.0 pads. 

4 hours ago, wvuviv30 said:

Pads: 

I've owned EF1, EF4, EF5, Ultrasonic and Hyperlite. Ultrasonic is stiffer than EF4, which was stiffer than EF1. The least stiff option with Bauer is Hyperlite. That will likely be the closest to EF2. Mach is going to very stiff if you're coming from EF2/V9.

Stabilislide comes stock on Supreme family (Ultrasonic and Mach). It is a L-shaped bracket that is part of the knee cradle that is inserted into the core of the pad. It is very stiff and there is next to no movement when flexing the cradle. I am personally a big fan of this knee system as it makes rotation effortless for me. If you liked the softer feeling of a EFlex or V9, this will either be a big adjustment or a dealbreaker for you.

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif.8316b5a480e37

Stabiliflex is the Vapor family's (Hyperlite) version of the Stablislide. Similar idea, but it allows a little bit of flex in the knee cradle.

Traditional with the pro bump is pretty similar to a Lefevre style knee. It is sewn in so there is no bracket. This is going to feel the most like EF2 if that is what you're looking for.

The Vapor one is better. @TheGoalNethas some videos with both pads - I think he might have gone over both of the TuneFit Connect straps there?

I believe the leather straps can be removed, but I'm not 100%. Personally, none of my customers have ever wanted leather straps. I believe there is no option to have the knee leather strap go downwards - Carey Price style as you say. I think it only goes straight across (knee block to knee).

I believe you cannot get both CRS and leather for the boot strap in one order. You can try buying a CRS strap kit from a retailer, as I think the leather boot strap is removable.

Bauer customer service might be able to answer all your questions regarding the leather straps.

5 hours ago, wvuviv30 said:

Catcher:

Poron will add more protection. Whether it is needed or not is dependent on what you are looking for in a catcher and your level of play. I always go with it on the thumb base because I don't always catch cleanly and because I think a pro palm + poron in the palm will be too much. I've been very happy with the protection of my Ultrasonic.

Reinforcing the T will make the glove closure a little bit more difficult, just FYI.

EF1 was my favorite catch glove of all time. I like my Ultrasonic just as much. EF4/5 felt different from the original EF 600 break and I didn't like it that much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I've owned EF1, EF4, EF5, Ultrasonic and Hyperlite. Ultrasonic is stiffer than EF4, which was stiffer than EF1. The least stiff option with Bauer is Hyperlite. That will likely be the closest to EF2. Mach is going to very stiff if you're coming from EF2/V9.

Piggybacking off some of this, I've had a similar gear history with time in EF1, EF4, Lefevre 20.1 and now True 20.2.  Also demoed the Hyperlite for about a month.

Stabilislide comes stock on Supreme family (Ultrasonic and Mach). It is a L-shaped bracket that is part of the knee cradle that is inserted into the core of the pad. It is very stiff and there is next to no movement when flexing the cradle. I am personally a big fan of this knee system as it makes rotation effortless for me. If you liked the softer feeling of a EFlex or V9, this will either be a big adjustment or a dealbreaker for you.

Stabiliflex is the Vapor family's (Hyperlite) version of the Stablislide. Similar idea, but it allows a little bit of flex in the knee cradle.

Traditional with the pro bump is pretty similar to a Lefevre style knee. It is sewn in so there is no bracket. This is going to feel the most like EF2 if that is what you're looking for.

FWIW I have True 20.2s, which have a sewn in knee block for added stiffness and more direct energy transfer through the knee when dropping to the ice. 

While these aren't exactly in the EFlex family, there is a lot of similarity in the basic design principle.  That being said, if I could get the Stabilislide or even the Stabiliflex stiffness out of my knee block I would in a heartbeat. 

Personally, I would never look back to the traditional knee block with pro bump option on Bauer.  The pads feel incredibly stable when down, and since the knee block can't flare down when you butterfly, you bring more pad surface down to the ice sooner when compared to the old style laced in knee blocks.

Stabilislide will be very stiff when pushing down on the knee block from the knee landing side.  Stabilislide will maybe give you 10-15 degrees of play.

IIRC the calf bracket is basically the Stabilislide L shaped bracket but running through the medial shin and calf wedge

I personally don't feel boot straps are needed any more.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:16 PM, ilyazhito said:

That's interesting. It's curious that Bauer can design a butterfly pad, yet allow it to be customized to match a hybrid pad in terms of performance. Perhaps it looks to get people who want the Mach graphics on the Hyperlite 2.0 pads. 

you can do this with almost any brand now aday. There really is not such a thing as butterfly or hybrid. The question is more of how stiff do you want your pad, what strapping do you want, etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Your saying you love two soft pads, but you’re ordering the stiffest on the market? Definitely get the hyperlite flex unless you want two wood boards on your legs. The leg channel is super adjustable

I want a stiffer pad... the V9 is too soft and flexes a lot.

13 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Your saying you love two soft pads, but you’re ordering the stiffest on the market? Definitely get the hyperlite flex unless you want two wood boards on your legs. The leg channel is super adjustable

you can get Hyperlite flex on the Mach... He is ordering custom.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

you can get Hyperlite flex on the Mach... He is ordering custom.

Exactly, I am going the Pro-Custom route.

My retailer was suggesting the Semi-Soft core.  I'm going try and get my hands on a pair of Hyperlite or 2X (semi-soft) Pads and demo them before ordering.

24 minutes ago, wvuviv30 said:

My retailer was suggesting the Semi-Soft core.  I'm going try and get my hands on a pair of Hyperlite or 2X (semi-soft) Pads and demo them before ordering.

2X is very soft compared to the Supreme line. having both of these lines, I settled on the Supreme, as it is more rigid and with a better rebound. 2X will appeal to those making the transition from Velocity. those who are looking for rigidity definitely need Supreme, IMO

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wvuviv30 said:

That is logical. It won't be as abrupt a transition as going straight to Machs.