Coyotes Moving to ASU's Mullett Arena for 2022-23 Season

MTH

It's odd. The Yotes have crossed every line that any other team would be sold and relocated years ago. Yet, they plow on. I read a lot about the franchises that moved and were sold in the 70s. Different time, but there are so many agreements and deals made that I presume the NHL has their reason to keep this going. I don't know.

Maybe one day this will finally terminate and a good book will come out telling all the details about the team.

I have some random guesses:

• The NHL (the collective group of owners) have invested in the franchise. In a way, they are the owners. By selling the club, they all lose part ownership. Maybe they like it. Selling now is a loss, so ride it.
  • Owning a money losing company allows tax breaks.
  • Compromising pictures of some Bettman family member.
  • Maybe the Yotes owner is a childhood friend of Tony Soprano and Artie. It's a 'bust out' scheme. Are they selling used gear online?
  • Does Arizona have favorable tax laws that the NHL can use with a franchise in the state?
  • New franchises pay the NHL a lot. Each owner makes out better than the relocation fee.
  • Every team enjoys visiting AZ during the season to get some golf in. Relocating to Quebec would not offer each team a trip there.
  • The Yotes are chum in the water. Any potential shark looking to buy a NHL team comes to Bettman. In turn, he bait and switches to a new expansion team opportunity that makes the league more money. Keep the Yotes as chum until there are 100 NHL teams.
Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

What is it going to take for the NHL to pull the plug on the Coyotes? They did with the Thrashers. 

They really didn't pull the plug the Thrashers. They were sold to group in Winnipeg with deep pockets and the owners let it go through and alound the move. The Coyotes Bettman himself is making this personal to keep them there cause the Thrashers thing blew up on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

They really didn't pull the plug the Thrashers. They were sold to group in Winnipeg with deep pockets and the owners let it go through and alound the move. The Coyotes Bettman himself is making this personal to keep them there cause the Thrashers thing blew up on him.

I think the Thrashers were, dare I say it: in worse shape than the ‘yotes at the time. Key words: at the time. And the group had a GREAT arena compared to the Phillips Center. It never was a great place for hockey. 

I think the NHL will let the Yotes die in Arizona. After they had to buy the team in 2009 then sell it years later (what a crap show that sale was); the NHL has been embroiled in lawsuits for lost money with Jerry Moyles. The judge ruled against the NHL, NHL appealed... NHL is bitter I presume.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

I think the NHL will let the Yotes die in Arizona. After they had to buy the team in 2009 then sell it years later (what a crap show that sale was); the NHL has been embroiled in lawsuits for lost money with Jerry Moyles. The judge ruled against the NHL, NHL appealed... NHL is bitter I presume.

Weird. Just weird.

The Coyotes will never be moved to Quebec.  The league just finally evened the conferences with the addition of Seattle to the West.  If the Coyotes move anywhere it will most likely be Houston.  A rapidly growing southwestern city with an owner begging for an NHL franchise and has an arena waiting for them.  Keeps the team in the west, natural rivalry with Dallas.  The city is also home to lots of corporate headquarters so that means lots of potential branding rights $$$$$$$$$.  

Its a real shame it didn't work out at the Glendale arena.  I've never been inside Gila River Arena but I was there for a Giants Cardinals NFL game.  That whole area surrounding the arena and football stadium is so nice.  Lots of bars and shops and restaurants.  That has to be better than spending time in a college arena.

Also, the players are not looking forward to this.  It is not going to be exciting for them to be playing at an NCAA arena.  The facilities situation for them is an embarrassment.

Once the Coyotes arrive home in the desert, they’ll face some logistical and scheduling challenges.

The Ice Den in Scottsdale, which is slated to replace the Gila River Arena as the team’s full-time practice facility, is a standard community rink with three ice surfaces and little by way of NHL-caliber bells and whistles. As of now, the Coyotes are trying to renovate office space nearby that can be converted into amenities for players to work out, shower, change and seek medical therapy. Trailers have been discussed as a temporary solution. For shuttling to and from the Ice Den rink, which is separated by about a 100- to 150-yard walk, one option being explored is a rubberized mat that allows players to cross the parking lot in full gear and skate guards. Golf carts could also be used.

Said one Coyotes player: “Every other team in the league will be laughing when they visit us.”

According to a league source, the average NHL team makes $2.3 million in fan-driven revenue (tickets, parking, food and beverage, merchandise sales) per game. The Coyotes, in Glendale, make less than $900,000, a number they’ll likely struggle to reach at ASU.

https://theathletic.com/3187030/2022/03/16/every-other-team-in-the-league-will-be-laughing-imagining-the-coyotes-future-in-arizona/?source=emp_shared_article

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Also, the players are not looking forward to this.  It is not going to be exciting for them to be playing at an NCAA arena.  The facilities situation for them is an embarrassment.

https://theathletic.com/3187030/2022/03/16/every-other-team-in-the-league-will-be-laughing-imagining-the-coyotes-future-in-arizona/?source=emp_shared_article

If I didn’t know better, this sounds like a story from the Onion.

You'd assume that the Coyotes would build a state of the art locker/ team building as part of the arena. Then, when they either die or move away - turn it over to ASU for their team or to use as space for other things.

When I was a kid, the new Philadelphia Phantoms practiced at my rink. They setup space for them that would suit their needs then. After they left, the space was made into the snackbar, arcade and locker space for the local college team to use. 

Maybe the trailers are just until they build an actual structure for them and the other team.

• 1 month later...

Saw this story that ASU won't let the Coyotes have their logo at center ice for their shared building.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2022/05/17/coyotes-arena-deal-arizona-state-embarrassing-details/9814873002/

It's also reported that the Coyotes have to behave while at ASU (It's like living at home again after college):

On Tuesday, a report from The Athletic's Katie Strang and Sean Shapiro outlined a "good behavior" clause for the Coyotes and owner Alex Meruelo. In said clause, if the Coyotes become part of a public scandal or do anything untoward that reflects poorly on the ASU brand, the school will be able to back out of the deal.

This is unreal...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, MTH said:

Saw this story that ASU won't let the Coyotes have their logo at center ice for their shared building.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2022/05/17/coyotes-arena-deal-arizona-state-embarrassing-details/9814873002/

It's also reported that the Coyotes have to behave while at ASU (It's like living at home again after college):

This is unreal...

its not the school that isn't allowing the Coyotes any on ice branding.  Its an NCAA rule.

• Like 1

Honestly, Atlanta is the perfect market for relocation or expansion.

Huge market. City/ region has a lot of money. NHL quality arena and practice facilities already built. The facilities are modern and still pretty new.

Only drawback? The city is named "Atlanta".

Maybe they can go all in with the name Georgia Bulldogs or something as cool. They missed their opportunity to retain the Atlanta Knights name. Could have brought out some of their former stars and Mahon.

Atlanta Knights history

If they were really savage - they'd just name themselves Team Chick-fil-a. Who don't like Chick-fil-a?

image.jpeg.e9c930c919b2bd5db122c8285a9ea074.jpeg

Maybe they just go with the Chick-fil-a cows. Could be some great goalie gear options with the cow print.

The NHL loves sponsors. That's all they are working on improving apparently. This is just what they want.

• Haha 2

The whole problem with the Thrashers fiasco was the NON hockey intrested asshat ownership and the mentally challenged city leadership. 

The games were packed regularly.  So what if there were a lot of visiting team sweaters at the games, the people came.  The arena was just as nice or better than some buildings I've been in around the league. 

Whatever, once my working career is done down here IT'S ADIOS HOTLANTA. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MTH said:

You should move to Winnipeg.

Then change your name too.

Calgary and my name will be ... to be continued 😄

Thank you Matt for my daily GNet laugh

btw, Mahon is hot 😛  I love sexy goalies 😆

Edited by Scythe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...