How Important is Gear Hygiene to You?

bunnyman666

On 8/14/2018 at 2:26 PM, jeff da goalie said:

Ah, yeah.  I remember that stuff.  I used it for a while.  The stuff I use is great for keeping stink out but doesn't do much for keeping the gloves soft.

You really don't think so?  I find quite the opposite myself.  My gear always feel nice and soft after being sprayed with this stuff.  Although, everything that I am wearing right now has been sprayed with this stuff since day one.  That may help, I don't know.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

You really don't think so?  I find quite the opposite myself.  My gear always feel nice and soft after being sprayed with this stuff.  Although, everything that I am wearing right now has been sprayed with this stuff since day one.  That may help, I don't know.

Sorry, I meant the stuff I currently use, not the Fresh Destink stuff.  I used that for a while but stopped, too hard to get.  I ordered some and will mix it with my stuff and see how it works.  I use stuff sold to hunters to remove human scent.  It works phenomenally on stink but doesn't keep the materials soft.

On 10/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, jeff da goalie said:

Sorry, I meant the stuff I currently use, not the Fresh Destink stuff.  I used that for a while but stopped, too hard to get.  I ordered some and will mix it with my stuff and see how it works.  I use stuff sold to hunters to remove human scent.  It works phenomenally on stink but doesn't keep the materials soft.

What about it is too hard to get?  I just email Andy when I am almost out of my supply and he sends me more.  Do you want his email?

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have experience with ozone generators?  Just curious about long term impacts or anything like that.

There is a guy in our city that drives around to the various rinks and will ozone gear for 10 bucks for the first trial.   I took a set of used gloves that I was scared to oxyclean, a used chest protector and a set of pants.  They came out smelling good.

He also does a monthly subscription or will drive to your house on weekends and defunk for $40

20 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Does anyone have experience with ozone generators?  Just curious about long term impacts or anything like that.

There is a guy in our city that drives around to the various rinks and will ozone gear for 10 bucks for the first trial.   I took a set of used gloves that I was scared to oxyclean, a used chest protector and a set of pants.  They came out smelling good.

He also does a monthly subscription or will drive to your house on weekends and defunk for $40

they work.  I use a small one near my gear in the basement and it definitely helps.  And the big ones are great for de-stinking.

5 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Ozone generators can be dangerous. You want to make sure you can ventilate the area out after you're done very thoroughly. Ideally you'd use it outside 

41 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Ozone generators can be dangerous. You want to make sure you can ventilate the area out after you're done very thoroughly. Ideally you'd use it outside 

I think the SaniSport ones are well ventilated.  I've seen them used in a store and I react badly to ozone (I have asthma) and can walk near it without ill effect.  The small one I use in my basement, I'll start it right before bed, it goes for three hours, and then just dissipates over the next number of hours before anyone goes down.  That one is pretty small though.

Washed my 12 year old's gear in the washer with the Hex branded gear wash and treatment.

gallery_HEX-Performance-Dual-Action-Gear

Stuff works great. I washed all his player gear (shin pads too) and it came out fine. 

Major plus was that he didn't smell like a cadaver covered in dog poo as usual after practice last night.

I wash my goalie chest and pants with it too. Just have to make sure to do it before a nice day to leave them in the driveway to dry out the following day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Washed all of my gear yesterday and everything came out great. I’d say the palms of the gloves still have that residual musk but it’s massive improvement. The rest of my gear is completely funk free (for now). Filled a large Rubbermaid bin with very warm water (not too hot so glues and decals come off but some heat is best). Two scoops Oxyclean and agitate until it dissolves. Toss the gear in and let it soak for 20 mins or so. Rinsed off in utility sink and laid on a few towels to dry.

Couple notes, for bigger items (CA, Pants) you will likely need to put some weight on top so it fully submerges. Otherwise maybe you can just flip it at some point. I put a 35lb barbell plate in a garbage bag and laid it on top and it worked great.

Also, make sure you remove your blocker board and any removable foams if you can. No need to wash that stuff and probably not the best to submerge in water.

When you lay out to dry you can also setup a fan to speed it up. That worked well for me too.

The blackish slime water that you end up dumping out each time is pretty satisfying too. Pretty simple but very effective. I waited 8 months which is way too long. I’ll probably repeat every 3 or 4 months from now on. Everything was dry under 48 hrs later.

• 1 month later...

Gear hygiene super important... but I'm also cheap. heh heh. I've tried sanisport and captodour and they were great but cost per bottle was too much. When I was selling one of my sets a guy told me about dettol and water solution and I use about a 1:9 part mix of dettol to water and it works great. One bottle of dettol is under $10 and that lasted me almost a year. The only drawback is that it smells like a hospital around you for a bit, but that's also not bad because your teammates will hate the smell and sit further away so you have more space to put on gear. 😆

For deep cleaning I use front load washer and for areas that are sweat-stained or extra gross I put oxi-clean gel on it (in addition to putting oxiclean powder in the load).

Voila. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just recently bought a sweet low-tech MaxxDry boot dryer for $30. It’s drying my gloves as I type this. Works really well so far!

It’s already been just under an hour and my gloves are pretty much good to go after this mornings 7:30am skate.

Also pictured to the right is my small fan I use to dry my gear as well. Great addition to my gear area setup! 

15420F0E-A94A-47AC-99BE-9BF0220246F9.thumb.jpeg.63431de2391babc0c0d829e7c65ff640.jpeg

3 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Just recently bought a sweet low-tech MaxxDry boot dryer for $30. It’s drying my gloves as I type this. Works really well so far!

It’s already been just under an hour and my gloves are pretty much good to go after this mornings 7:30am skate.

Also pictured to the right is my small fan I use to dry my gear as well. Great addition to my gear area setup! 

15420F0E-A94A-47AC-99BE-9BF0220246F9.thumb.jpeg.63431de2391babc0c0d829e7c65ff640.jpeg

I have a Peat boot dryer much like yours. Great piece of gear!

49 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sometimes I barely get mine fully dry before games without rinsing.

I don't mind that as long as I put extra effort the 2nd time around at the end of that night. 

For example, I play twice every sunday. The first skate starts at 7:30am and then a second time between 7:00pm-10:00pm, whenever the league game is scheduled that week.

So after the first skate I just air dry everything, I don't spray the gear down or use fans or anything, and before the 2nd skate if something is still wet then that's okay (I actually don't mind wearing wet gear, as I feel like it's already worn in and ready to be played in), as long as I put a fan and start drying the gear at the end of the night it's been fine so far. 

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Who has time to let gear fully dry after a proper rinse? :squint:

Sometimes I barely get mine fully dry before games without rinsing.

I have several glove sets, so mine get rotated regularly. 

If you play several days in a row, it could prove problematic...

Archived