How Important is Gear Hygiene to You?

bunnyman666

8 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I bought a seemingly lifetime supply of Hespeler one-piece suits from Tron. Works pretty well and I got mine 10 sets for $30. 

I know somebody looking for one... any chance you have one you haven't worn that you'd part with?

I personally would never buy anything from Tron but others seem to like them. My home rink is about 3 minutes from Tron HQ so you see a ton of guys in my league wearing their Aliexpress crap. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

What are most of you wearing for your base layers? 

TPS Response shirt (non-padded) from forever ago

Reebok pant jock unit with boxers underneath. ( I don't love these but they are working for now)

photo_2555_3406_1.jpg.c66e38e324a42a77507320fef167468e.jpg

Bauer skate socks

Franklin wrist bands

61txP7nuEuL._SX355_.jpg.a35c959f9907c3f0e0106e69c804e6ee.jpg

I also make my own sweatbands and put a fresh one in every skate

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I know somebody looking for one... any chance you have one you haven't worn that you'd part with?

I personally would never buy anything from Tron but others seem to like them. My home rink is about 3 minutes from Tron HQ so you see a ton of guys in my league wearing their Aliexpress crap. 

Size Medium; yes- I have several NIP.

8 hours ago, stackem30 said:

That's not a bad idea. How well does it work? I always assumed gloves get particularly bad for two main reasons:

-They're cavernous and dark / insides take longer to dry = bacteria heaven.

-A lot of sweat from your arms/underarms streams down and collects in the gloves

Wristbands sound like they would help with the second part. It's either that, or I start standing like this every time the puck isn't in my zone:

It works great.  It keeps all the nasty sweat from your pits from running into your gloves.  That's the number one cause of glove stench.  

6 hours ago, beansbats said:

Love, love, love, Andy's Destink spray.  Not cheap but it really works.

-steve

I swear by his stuff.  I will not use anything else!

6 hours ago, cwarnar said:

What are most of you wearing for your base layers?  Under Armour?  I have UA leggings and a loose gear shirt... but am thinking of moving to a long sleeve shirt after reading more on this thread

Under Armor Heat Gear compression pants and long sleeve shirts.  I would definitely recommend moving to long sleeves.  The less skin contact with your gear the better off you'll be.  Less shit from your body to transfer onto your gear.  Dead skin, etc.

I’ve got two TPS R10 Response padded shirts from late 2000’s love the padded forearm/wrist area. Had a Farrell in the rotation for years but it basically disintegrated. Roll with Smart wool running leggings or cheap Target brand ones on an alternating basis. Cannot imagine wearing anything cotton underneath anymore. And I agree with the less skin contact the less stinky the gear gets.

I am a little OCD about gear hygiene. My gear is only in the bag transporting to and from the rink. I walk it straight to me gear room when I get home everything but skates mask and pads go straight into the rocket sport dryer and are dried. Mask skates and pads are wiped down and opened up to dry. All my under gear wear, sweat bands and jersey are washed after every skate.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen or had experience with this before?

http://www.drysnake.com/EN/#conception

Goalie specs: https://drysnake.myshopify.com/products/sac-hockey-pour-gardien-hockey-bag-for-goalie?variant=5030049972257

I'm at a point in my life where I'm still renting apartments/houses, doesn't make sense to buy right now.  One thing that I hate is moving into a new place where I have to go up and down stairs to bring my hockey stuff in/out.  It's always awkward if you try to bring the whole bag up and down, or you make 2-3 trips carrying gear in groups.  The Sumo stand bag doesn't do stairs at all pretty much.

So I was thinking of trying something like this out, although it still might live in a garage where there would be climate issues.  (also considered some sort of climate controlled tent, but haven't gotten too deep into that design yet :P)

Anything that touches my skin gets washed, sweater as well.  Sweatbands on the wrist for sure.

Skates and mitts go on a boot/glove dryer, I think it's Peet's.

Everything other than the stuff that goes in the wash gets sprayed down with some stuff that hunters use to eliminate human scent.  I spray as deep into the gloves as I can, and then let it sit there a little before turning them over and putting them on the dryer.

Everything gets opened as much as possible and hung up on a rack.  I have a box fan blowing on it and a smaller fan underneath blowing up.  

Most of my gear doesn't smell at all.  The only exception is my Maltese neck protector.  Smells a little yeasty notwithstanding the above treatment AND getting thrown in the wash every few weeks.

I'm anal about my gear as well. Everything gets sprayed down in a mixture of my making of lemon oil, essential oils, rubbing alcohol and water. Then in the rocket dryer it goes.

I usually rinse my mask while I'm in the shower, and then gets towel dried. The same spray is added when I get home. Skates are hung to dry, and since I used Option B straps, the tongue opens up completely. Never stinks. 

Knee pads, bib and the gloves' palms get washed once every 10 games max. 

• 4 weeks later...

Before reading this thread, I was already doing most of the things described here - including washing under-everything, every time, spray, Air-dry, etc. I have a mix of new and new-to-me gear, elements of the latter making a stronger-scented case for diligence - lol!

I bought my pads brand new though, and while I wipe them down, stand them upside down, and they don’t smell like anything, should I be spraying the leg channel and inside of the calf wrap? I mean, my skin isn’t touching any of it, and my compression pants go in the wash, but maybe it will build up if I don’t, and then be too late?

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Before reading this thread, I was already doing most of the things described here - including washing under-everything, every time, spray, Air-dry, etc. I have a mix of new and new-to-me gear, elements of the latter making a stronger-scented case for diligence - lol!

I bought my pads brand new though, and while I wipe them down, stand them upside down, and they don’t smell like anything, should I be spraying the leg channel and inside of the calf wrap? I mean, my skin isn’t touching any of it, and my compression pants go in the wash, but maybe it will build up if I don’t, and then be too late?

I am a clean freak with my gear as you can see from my posts in this thread.  With that said, I don't spray my pads at all.

• 3 months later...

@creasecollector I've been using the 2:1 distilled water to alcohol ratio with a few drops of teatree oil (referenced earlier in this thread) and it's worked great. Cheaper than buying specific sprays too. 

Edit: Also, no, I've never used any of those sprays, just anti bacterial febreeze until earlier this year

5 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Has anyone used any of these products before?

Looking to swap out my Febreeze Antibacterial spray for one of these:

234048893_ScreenShot2018-08-02at10_06_52PM.png.0a62c5c37b85b1832009ea20d2920111.png1161984744_ScreenShot2018-08-02at10_02_55PM.png.eb6a9e3f1cc9888b842dcc34dcb8e9b8.png

I got a sample of the Captodor.  Smells nice, kind of a cotton candy tinge to it.  I prefer it over Febreze.

My hands used to have awful glove stench even after a shower.  I use a Rocket Dryer now and the smell has gone away

@Chenner29, would you (or anyone else) sell me a little bit on the Rocket Dryer? I had no idea they had models as affordable as $170... 

My wife and I moved this past spring, and the new place doesn't have a great setup for drying... at least not for the winter. I've been airing out my equipment on a deck outside (or sometimes on top of a roof in the back of the house), but those won't be options come winter... and my basement is pretty dank, nothing could ever dry out in there. I'm wondering if one of these Rocket Dryers would be a decent solution. 

8 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Has anyone used any of these products before?

Looking to swap out my Febreeze Antibacterial spray for one of these:

234048893_ScreenShot2018-08-02at10_06_52PM.png.0a62c5c37b85b1832009ea20d2920111.png1161984744_ScreenShot2018-08-02at10_02_55PM.png.eb6a9e3f1cc9888b842dcc34dcb8e9b8.png

I also use the Captodor. Started off with the smaller bottle to see, and ended up buying the 3.78L or whatever the big one is. Quite happy with it - but it's not miracle fluid either.

Can't remember where I read it, but I have used gloves, and the blocker especially gives me rank glove stank. I started "washing" my hands with listerine right before my shower, and it works for me! Now the dudes who paid attention in chem class could probably break down the science for you, but I was busy drawing 90s goalies on my binder, so... like, yeah - it works because science.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I also use the Captodor. Started off with the smaller bottle to see, and ended up buying the 3.78L or whatever the big one is. Quite happy with it - but it's not miracle fluid either.

Can't remember where I read it, but I have used gloves, and the blocker especially gives me rank glove stank. I started "washing" my hands with listerine right before my shower, and it works for me! Now the dudes who paid attention in chem class could probably break down the science for you, but I was busy drawing 90s goalies on my binder, so... like, yeah - it works because science.

“rank glove stank” is like Hoobastank, right?

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

@Chenner29, would you (or anyone else) sell me a little bit on the Rocket Dryer? I had no idea they had models as affordable as $170... 

My wife and I moved this past spring, and the new place doesn't have a great setup for drying... at least not for the winter. I've been airing out my equipment on a deck outside (or sometimes on top of a roof in the back of the house), but those won't be options come winter... and my basement is pretty dank, nothing could ever dry out in there. I'm wondering if one of these Rocket Dryers would be a decent solution. 

Get a dehumidifier.  It will work wonders, both for your gear and your basement.  I use a dehumidifier along with 2 fans to dry my gear after every use.  Everything is dry within a few hours.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

The former hurts my nose, the latter my ears, so in as much as they are both offensive to the senses, yeah, sure! xD

I used to love Hoobastank back in their day!

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Get a dehumidifier.  It will work wonders, both for your gear and your basement.  I use a dehumidifier along with 2 fans to dry my gear after every use.  Everything is dry within a few hours.

I used to love Hoobastank back in their day!

Ha - alright, you called my bluff, buddy; TBH, I can't even remember what they sound like. I just wanted to come up with a witty riposte for @bunnyman666

OK, just put on The Reason, and recognized it. Decent tune. I mean, it's not what I listen to, but not in the "offensive to the senses" category.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ha - alright, you called my bluff, buddy; TBH, I can't even remember what they sound like. I just wanted to come up with a witty riposte for @bunnyman666

OK, just put on The Reason, and recognized it. Decent tune. I mean, it's not what I listen to, but not in the "offensive to the senses" category.

That was a wishy washy song.  They had way catchier tunes.  Crawling in the Dark is probably their most famous single.  Pieces was another one of my favorites as was Just One.  Shit this stuff is almost 20 years old already.  Crazy.

Archived