Jump to content
bunnyman666

How Important is Gear Hygiene to You?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That was a wishy washy song.  They had way catchier tunes.  Crawling in the Dark is probably their most famous single.  Pieces was another one of my favorites as was Just One.  Shit this stuff is almost 20 years old already.  Crazy.

Oh, I hear ya brother - I have Radiohead's OK Computer on this morning, and it was released in '97. FFS - 1997!!! The millennials were going around last year celebrating the 20th anniversary of this epic album they had discovered, which really brought it home: I had contracted the old. Man, I saw them twice on that tour! I felt like my dad must feel when I ask him about seeing Zeppelin - lol!

Ok, thread somewhat derailed - but at least it's taking everyone's mind off the rank stank!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Oh, I hear ya brother - I have Radiohead's OK Computer on this morning, and it was released in '97. FFS - 1997!!! The millennials were going around last year celebrating the 20th anniversary of this epic album they had discovered, which really brought it home: I had contracted the old. Man, I saw them twice on that tour! I felt like my dad must feel when I ask him about seeing Zeppelin - lol!

Ok, thread somewhat derailed - but at least it's taking everyone's mind off the rank stank!

Back to the thread:

I got close to one bloke Wednesday and it was epic BAD SMELL!!!! I am glad he was not next to me in the dressing room, as I think I would have caught something and I need to stay clean for my upcoming surgery. Epic bad aroma; it makes me nearly puke when I think about it! If Hoobastank described bad smell- THAT was Hoobastank! Gah!!!!

Never heard their music; of course I only listen to Kiss, Barry White, a little Zep, Phil Collins (pre 1985), Genesis (pre 1985), the Meters, Prince, David Lee Roth era Van Halen, and my favourite singer, song writer and musician: ME. I only listen to talk radio; no canned playlist radio for me! I heard of Hoobastank and Radio Head, but never heard their tunes. 

@Lucky Pucker You mentioned leg pad stink- this ONLY happens when you store your pads inside the bag and only open it when you play. Storing them where air can get to them is sufficient to prevent smell. 

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That was a wishy washy song.  They had way catchier tunes.  Crawling in the Dark is probably their most famous single.  Pieces was another one of my favorites as was Just One.  Shit this stuff is almost 20 years old already.  Crazy.

"I'M NOT A PERFECT PEEEERRRRSSOOOONNNN....."

I didn't mind Hoobastank, till that song came out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

@creasecollector I've been using the 2:1 distilled water to alcohol ratio with a few drops of teatree oil (referenced earlier in this thread) and it's worked great. Cheaper than buying specific sprays too. 

Edit: Also, no, I've never used any of those sprays, just anti bacterial febreeze until earlier this year

I've definitely thought about making my own sprays. Nice to know teatree oil works out well! Might try this down the line for sure. 

9 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I also use the Captodor. Started off with the smaller bottle to see, and ended up buying the 3.78L or whatever the big one is. Quite happy with it - but it's not miracle fluid either.

Can't remember where I read it, but I have used gloves, and the blocker especially gives me rank glove stank. I started "washing" my hands with listerine right before my shower, and it works for me! Now the dudes who paid attention in chem class could probably break down the science for you, but I was busy drawing 90s goalies on my binder, so... like, yeah - it works because science.

Great! Glad to see someone sticking with it. And my old glove had "the stank" which didn't smell too great when I took my gloves off. 

However, on my new CCM Premier set, I've been spraying/drying my new gear after every skate for about 8 months now since I got my new gear and they still smell really good. So getting an actual sport cleaner should help things a touch. 

I picked up the Captodor today, just the 500ml bottle from Sportschek. Looking forward to see how it works out. 

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I got a sample of the Captodor.  Smells nice, kind of a cotton candy tinge to it.  I prefer it over Febreze.

My hands used to have awful glove stench even after a shower.  I use a Rocket Dryer now and the smell has gone away

Picked up Captodor myself today. Reviewed this thread quickly before buying, and I was glad to see other goalies pickup that specific spray & replying to my post. I'm hoping I prefer it over Febreeze, too. I've heard a lot of people say Febreeze isn't great for your gear and it smells pretty bad, but I found their Antibacterial spray to work out pretty good, but I wan't something specific this time around and moving forward with my gear hygiene. And those rocket dryers do look great.

And I love me some cotton candy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

And I love me some cotton candy! 

I have a guitar I named after one of my FAVOURITE strippers who wore a fragrance reminiscent of candy floss, a.k.a. Cotton Candy. My guitar says “Cotton Candy is Tasty!!!”. Yes- she saw it!!! Yes- I got free lap dances; though she has a thing for my accent!!!!

“Dammit!!! I STILL smell like Cotton Candy!!!” was something I used to say all of the time, as she’d give me a bear hug and my Jumper under my motorcycle jacket would SMELL like her perfume!!!

I wish I could run into her; she retired from dancing two years ago... ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have a guitar I named after one of my FAVOURITE strippers who wore a fragrance reminiscent of candy floss, a.k.a. Cotton Candy. My guitar says “Cotton Candy is Tasty!!!”. Yes- she saw it!!! Yes- I got free lap dances; though she has a thing for my accent!!!!

“Dammit!!! I STILL smell like Cotton Candy!!!” was something I used to say all of the time, as she’d give me a bear hug and my Jumper under my motorcycle jacket would SMELL like her perfume!!!

I wish I could run into her; she retired from dancing two years ago... ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

HA HA HA!!!

Not in love with that one; she just made me feel like a stack of Benjamins when I got into the club!!!

My bass player, however WAS in love with Cotton Candy!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

HA HA HA!!!

Not in love with that one; she just made me feel like a stack of Benjamins when I got into the club!!!

My bass player, however WAS in love with Cotton Candy!!!!

You're so in denial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There was one I wrote five songs about; in one band I was in, she was the inspiration for “Guys Write Songs About Girls Like You’.

She was something. I call her the Persian answer to Marilyn Monroe. Her face was air brushed on the belly of my Les Paul.

Yep- she was something; my wife could not blame me; she thought she was hot, as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stackem30 said:

@Chenner29, would you (or anyone else) sell me a little bit on the Rocket Dryer? I had no idea they had models as affordable as $170... 

My wife and I moved this past spring, and the new place doesn't have a great setup for drying... at least not for the winter. I've been airing out my equipment on a deck outside (or sometimes on top of a roof in the back of the house), but those won't be options come winter... and my basement is pretty dank, nothing could ever dry out in there. I'm wondering if one of these Rocket Dryers would be a decent solution.  

I have my Rocket Dryer set up in the garage.  Once I get back from my skate, bag gets emptied and gloves get sprayed and jammed up into the dryer.

I should probably get my knees and chest/arm in there too.

It's a really good product!  An underrated purchase for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I have my Rocket Dryer set up in the garage.  Once I get back from my skate, bag gets emptied and gloves get sprayed and jammed up into the dryer.

I should probably get my knees and chest/arm in there too.

It's a really good product!  An underrated purchase for sure

I will most likely invest in a rocket dryer to go along with my Peet’s boot dryer. The boot dryer is pretty damned amazing and I use it to dry my gloves, as well. But for me- the hardest thing is drying my chesty and breezers and that sounds like the ticket there.

Gear care products are most likely the least sexy products, but you don’t smell like a heavily used cat litter box when you use said products. I think they are aguably the most important products to buy along with gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dry my gear over night and then spray everything down the next day.  I don't want the fans to dry out the spray, I want the spray to soak into the gear and dry itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 9:02 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I dry my gear over night and then spray everything down the next day.  I don't want the fans to dry out the spray, I want the spray to soak into the gear and dry itself.

That's interesting — my instinct was always to spray down my gear with my solution (nothing fancy, just the usual 2:1 water/alcohol mixture) as soon as I unpacked my bag, and then lay it out to dry. No real reason for this order, other than a vague notion that it would be good to spray it and start killing bacteria is quick as possible. But I saw you posted this, so today I'm letting my stuff dry, and I'll spray it when I'm done. 

Your order seems logical enough: you want to spray to be as effective as possible, and you feel you're getting more value when you apply it to dry equipment, rather than willing it to evaporate with the rest of the sweat. That's fairly convincing from where I'm standing, but I'm curious if you (or anyone else) knows whether there's any 'science' (for lack of a better word) to support it. Again, I think it sounds right, and I'm leaning towards doing the same — I'm just always curious to know whether it goes beyond simple observation.

TLDR: Is it definitely more effective** to dry your gear first, and then apply a cleaning solution?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

That's interesting — my instinct was always to spray down my gear with my solution (nothing fancy, just the usual 2:1 water/alcohol mixture) as soon as I unpacked my bag, and then lay it out to dry. No real reason for this order, other than a vague notion that it would be good to spray it and start killing bacteria is quick as possible. But I saw you posted this, so today I'm letting my stuff dry, and I'll spray it when I'm done. 

Your order seems logical enough: you want to spray to be as effective as possible, and you feel you're getting more value when you apply it to dry equipment, rather than willing it to evaporate with the rest of the sweat. That's fairly convincing from where I'm standing, but I'm curious if you (or anyone else) knows whether there's any 'science' (for lack of a better word) to support it. Again, I think it sounds right, and I'm leaning towards doing the same — I'm just always curious to know whether it goes beyond simple observation.

TLDR: Is it definitely more affective to dry your gear first, and then apply a cleaning solution?

It can take a few minutes of contact to kill certain types of bacteria and up to 15 minutes if you have any mold or mildew.  Its better to dry it out quickly with some type of fan and then spray it down and let it air dry.  Mix a little vinegar and lemon juice with the water/alcohol mixture for better results.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

That's interesting — my instinct was always to spray down my gear with my solution (nothing fancy, just the usual 2:1 water/alcohol mixture) as soon as I unpacked my bag, and then lay it out to dry. No real reason for this order, other than a vague notion that it would be good to spray it and start killing bacteria is quick as possible. But I saw you posted this, so today I'm letting my stuff dry, and I'll spray it when I'm done. 

Your order seems logical enough: you want to spray to be as effective as possible, and you feel you're getting more value when you apply it to dry equipment, rather than willing it to evaporate with the rest of the sweat. That's fairly convincing from where I'm standing, but I'm curious if you (or anyone else) knows whether there's any 'science' (for lack of a better word) to support it. Again, I think it sounds right, and I'm leaning towards doing the same — I'm just always curious to know whether it goes beyond simple observation.

TLDR: Is it definitely more affective to dry your gear first, and then apply a cleaning solution?

I always figured the addition of the alcohol solution would help evaporate the sweat faster as well (that's assuming you spray it well enough that it's mostly mixed with the sweat and essentially a single solution, and the alcohol evaporates at a constant rate no matter the ratio of the solution).  I think the "science" supports both approaches, but it's probably on such a small scale that it won't make much difference unless you have your gear in a spot that doesn't dry out very well to begin with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

I always figured the addition of the alcohol solution would help evaporate the sweat faster as well (that's assuming you spray it well enough that it's mostly mixed with the sweat and essentially a single solution, and the alcohol evaporates at a constant rate no matter the ratio of the solution).  I think the "science" supports both approaches, but it's probably on such a small scale that it won't make much difference unless you have your gear in a spot that doesn't dry out very well to begin with.  

My point is that if you are using an alcohol mixture and then placing in front of a fan or in some other drying apparatus, then the alcohol will evaporate too quickly to be effective.  Essentially alcohol evaporates very rapidly(seconds) leaving a still sweat soaked piece of gear to continue drying in front of the fan for hours.  As long as moisture is present, bacteria has a platform to grow.  If it is dried first and then sprayed with the alcohol mixture and allowed to air dry, then you have made a more efficient effort to kill any bacteria.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always embraced the same train of thought as Mroy31, but I think layluv54 has me convinced that the dry-first, spray-second approach might be more effective (even if the difference is marginal). Thanks for the input guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2018 at 12:44 PM, stackem30 said:

That's interesting — my instinct was always to spray down my gear with my solution (nothing fancy, just the usual 2:1 water/alcohol mixture) as soon as I unpacked my bag, and then lay it out to dry. No real reason for this order, other than a vague notion that it would be good to spray it and start killing bacteria is quick as possible. But I saw you posted this, so today I'm letting my stuff dry, and I'll spray it when I'm done. 

Your order seems logical enough: you want to spray to be as effective as possible, and you feel you're getting more value when you apply it to dry equipment, rather than willing it to evaporate with the rest of the sweat. That's fairly convincing from where I'm standing, but I'm curious if you (or anyone else) knows whether there's any 'science' (for lack of a better word) to support it. Again, I think it sounds right, and I'm leaning towards doing the same — I'm just always curious to know whether it goes beyond simple observation.

TLDR: Is it definitely more effective** to dry your gear first, and then apply a cleaning solution?

I have no science to this other than following the instructions from the person in which I buy my spray.  I used to spray it when it was still wet as well.  Since I am using fans and a dehumidifier to dry my gear, they can dry the mixture prematurely.  By drying the gear first and then spraying everything down and letting the spray dry at its own rate it allows it to do its job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have no science to this other than following the instructions from the person in which I buy my spray.  I used to spray it when it was still wet as well.  Since I am using fans and a dehumidifier to dry my gear, they can dry the mixture prematurely.  By drying the gear first and then spraying everything down and letting the spray dry at its own rate it allows it to do its job.

You're preaching to the newly converted — sprayed my already-dried equipment this morning. Makes total sense to me, glad it came up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

You're preaching to the newly converted — sprayed my already-dried equipment this morning. Makes total sense to me, glad it came up.

I hope it works out for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...