How Important is Gear Hygiene to You?

bunnyman666

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Pah-RAIIIIISE-uh the Lard-uh!!!!!

I'd hold an "online stranger who gives me solid gear hygiene advice" in higher esteem than any deity any day of the week.

Prayer won't make my gloves smell better... don't think I haven't tried.

40 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I'd hold an "online stranger who gives me solid gear hygiene advice" in higher esteem than any deity any day of the week.

Prayer won't make my gloves smell better... don't think I haven't tried.

I wash my gloves between seasons too, the washing process takes about 15-30 minutes.  The drying process takes a couple days.

Bathtub full of lukewarm water (I don't recommend hot water, it could loosen the adhesives used in making the gloves)
Laundry detergeant
Couple scoops of Oxi Clean

Dunk and manually agitate the gloves and you'll see some disgusting black stuff seep out into the water. (it's sweat and dead skin cells)
Drain out the gross water, refill the tub again, more laundry detergeant and Oxi Clean
Continue to do this until the water runs clear
Grab a couple towels (2-3 for each glove, a surprising amount of water will drain out of each glove), prop the gloves up so the openings are facing down.  Let them dry.
Once they are done here, I stick them in my Rocket Dryer to finish them off.

This gets the leather inside nice and soft again, and best of all no smell.

Oh man, gear hygiene is HUGE for me. All undergarments, sweatbands and jerseys get machine washed after every single use. Backside of pads, insides of mitts, pants, chestie, bucket, goal jock - all sprayed down with "bio-enzyme" spray, then hung in front of a fan until dry. I usually open up the hockey bag and give it a quick mist as well. The spray I use is organic as I don't want to risk damaging the materials, and it's worked quite well for a long time now.

And as a last resort....

For stuff that's been neglected (maybe you forgot it in your bag once or forever), or is second hand, I use organic (again, yes) detergent in the front loader, delicate setting, inside of a pillow case or mesh laundry bag. Extra rinse, cold or warm water (NOT HOT). Then open it all up as much as possible, hit with enzyme spray and let it fan dry until there's ZERO moisture. I've personally never had an issue with my gear in doing this, BUT would try to avoid it with new gear, just in case something goes awry, and it's really not typically recommended EVER anyways. It's basically my recommendation to salvage nasty gear, or to give yourself peace of mind when buying someone else's former DNA bank.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I won’t wear anything that has touched somebody else’s skin. That eliminates used gloves and masks and likely chesty as well. I can deal with used leg pads but that’s probably about it. 

Amen...

Gotta vent and I think you guys are the only ones I know who can relate. 

Last week right after my game a goalie rushes into my dressing room flustered a f***.  Zambonis almost off and he just realized he didn't pack his blocker. He wants to borrow mine. 

I'm generally really against anyone using my stuff. But he was really screwed and it was a playoff game. And I like to help out those in need when I can. So I lent it to him with the promise of him dropping it off at my teammates house right after his game. So last night I have my last playoff game, when I get in the room my teammate throws me my blocker. When I go to put it on I feel something I haven't felt in years. Slimy leather feel. Like when its completely dry... but still has that feel. Ugh. 

Initially I chalked this up to me being paranoid about people using my stuff. But the moment I took off my blocker post game the smell hit me. 

And I scrubbed. And I scrubbed. And I soaked my hand in Purell. Its 12 hours later and I've washed my hands as many times and its still not completely gone. So gross.

I don't blame the goalie at all. He obviously delivered the blocker right after the game as promised. But I'm not sure what my teammate did with it afterwards. Put it in an incubator in a dark room with no ventilation????

I guess I'll be washing gloves this weekend 

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. 

Back on track, another tip for washing gloves.... If you're cleaning them in a laundry tub, attach a short length of hose (say 2-3' and cut on an angle) to the tap. This really helps with flushing out the finger stalls and that kind of thing. I've always used the hottest water possible. Adhesives don't like heat but neither do germs. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Gotta vent and I think you guys are the only ones I know who can relate. 

Last week right after my game a goalie rushes into my dressing room flustered a f***.  Zambonis almost off and he just realized he didn't pack his blocker. He wants to borrow mine. 

I'm generally really against anyone using my stuff. But he was really screwed and it was a playoff game. And I like to help out those in need when I can. So I lent it to him with the promise of him dropping it off at my teammates house right after his game. So last night I have my last playoff game, when I get in the room my teammate throws me my blocker. When I go to put it on I feel something I haven't felt in years. Slimy leather feel. Like when its completely dry... but still has that feel. Ugh. 

Initially I chalked this up to me being paranoid about people using my stuff. But the moment I took off my blocker post game the smell hit me. 

And I scrubbed. And I scrubbed. And I soaked my hand in Purell. Its 12 hours later and I've washed my hands as many times and its still not completely gone. So gross.

I don't blame the goalie at all. He obviously delivered the blocker right after the game as promised. But I'm not sure what my teammate did with it afterwards. Put it in an incubator in a dark room with no ventilation????

I guess I'll be washing gloves this weekend 

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. 

Back on track, another tip for washing gloves.... If you're cleaning them in a laundry tub, attach a short length of hose (say 2-3' and cut on an angle) to the tap. This really helps with flushing out the finger stalls and that kind of thing. I've always used the hottest water possible. Adhesives don't like heat but neither do germs. 

I feel you bud.  Awesome of you to help him out though.

I always spray a 50/50 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water after I play, with a few drops of peppermint or lemon essential oil, for that fresh clean smell. 

It helps keep the smells down.  I washed all my gear in oxyclean bath for the first time, after owning some pieces for 10 years, the water was clearer and less scary than some of the used equipment I have bought, so it seems to have at least aided in keeping bacteria down.

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

What do you use?  

If you were on the old GSBB you might remember HandyAndy.  He sells the gear spray that I use.  You can find him on Facebook under Mr Fresh gear de-stink.  I'm not sure what his other social media accounts are but his email is freshsportsspray@gmail.com

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you were on the old GSBB you might remember HandyAndy.  He sells the gear spray that I use.  You can find him on Facebook under Mr Fresh gear de-stink.  I'm not sure what his other social media accounts are but his email is freshsportsspray@gmail.com

Ah, yeah.  I remember that stuff.  I used it for a while.  The stuff I use is great for keeping stink out but doesn't do much for keeping the gloves soft.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Best spray ever!  I just received a new batch from him :)

6 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

What does his spray bottle look like, and how much does his spray cost? Might have to order some myself :D 

He sells his own spray bottles but I don't use them.  I just buy his concentrate and mix it in a Home Depot spray bottle.  I just ordered 4 or 5 bottles of concentrate and it came out to $72usd shipped to NY from Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I bought a hand held steam cleaner to clean my gear, and while i'm sure its effective at killing stuff, the smell remains behind. 

Do you guys have any tips for this? I was thinking of adding some type of essential oil into the steam cleaner...

The smell stems from bacteria build up, just like smelly feet/shoes. Because we get hot and sweat in our gear, it's the perfect environment for growth. You have to kill off the bacteria in order to kill off the smell. 

You have to consider also that some of us smell more than others...genetics I guess. My gear is aired out after every game with a fan. Although you can distinguish a light "sporty" smell that says "I've been used and abused", my gear doesn't stink at all.

Whatever method you use, make sure it's not something that can damage the materials or its structural integrity. Sports Wash and such other businesses can also be an option. They basically safely sanitise your gear.

Archived