C & A protection

AMDG

15 minutes ago, Kayen said:

I'll agree with you on this. Vaughn units (I used to own a pro-beefed up 9500), not only sit and look nice and square but they're some of the most mobile units out there. If it wasn't for the body starting to get very soft, I actually gutted the arm padding from a Brown 2200 and added to my Vision which made the arms very protective. 

I'll also agree with @TheGoalNet that many senior chest protectors are just fine for most guys, and in the leagues i play in that's generally the route that is taken. I know for myself I wear a Warrior Ritual Pro, with CCM 500 arms (senior), which puts me at an inbetween, but it serves me just fine. 

If there is one thing lacking on most CA’s, it’s the arms or length of belly pad. I rocked a senior Vaughn that I beefed up the arms and I was fine with it; no stingers in the belly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, RichMan said:

I can see how maybe Vaughn sees it unnecessary for a retail unit to be bomb proof unless you play Junior level and upwards, at which point you will have access to pro-only custom equipment. Lets face it, many goalies out there in Beer League land do wear some gear that is overkill for their level of play, but I guess it comes down to personal choice.

Thank goodness for pro-return gear, eh :chug:

And where do you think these guys end up when they don't make it?  All roads lead to beer league, dude.  There are a lot of players in my league that have absolute bombs.  Plus, do you think that having a hard shot means you have to play Junior + hockey?  Plenty of people can have a hard shot but not control it(I have a teammate that has been like this since high school), or maybe they have a great shot but just a shitty skater.  This "unless you play against junior and pro players" idea is just stupid.  Sorry man.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

And where do you think these guys end up when they don't make it?  All roads lead to beer league, dude.  There are a lot of players in my league that have absolute bombs.  Plus, do you think that having a hard shot means you have to play Junior + hockey?  Plenty of people can have a hard shot but not control it(I have a teammate that has been like this since high school), or maybe they have a great shot but just a shitty skater.  This "unless you play against junior and pro players" idea is just stupid.  Sorry man.

You clearly misunderstood my comment. I said "unless you PLAY Junior or semi-Pro/Pro levels", NOT if you play against ex-Juniors or Pros.

Granted, if you play against some of these guys in shinny or high level Beer League (as I have now and then), the quality of shot will be much better, faster and heavier, but it won't necessarily be all out as if they are paid for it. After all, we all have to go to work the next day. Getting hurt isn't worth it. although I have no qualms if you can get your hands on a pro-return or custom c/a. I just don't see it necessary if you play D level hockey or lesser. At which point a simple senior model should suffice.

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

You clearly misunderstood my comment. I said "unless you PLAY Junior or semi-Pro/Pro levels", NOT if you play against ex-Juniors or Pros.

Granted, if you play against some of these guys in shinny or high level Beer League (as I have now and then), the quality of shot will be much better, faster and heavier, but it won't necessarily be all out as if they are paid for it. After all, we all have to go to work the next day. Getting hurt isn't worth it. although I have no qualms if you can get your hands on a pro-return or custom c/a. I just don't see it necessary if you play D level hockey or lesser. At which point a simple senior model should suffice.

Some of these blokes with hard shots are so frustrated that they weren’t picked for the pros that they TRY to hurt goalies and anyone else with their shots. They aim for the head. They try to knock the wind out of goalies with their shots.They brag to their friends that they hurt goalies. I play against ass holes like that EVERY WEEK!

I got away with senior where I used to play because their shots weren’t that good, but now that I have frustrated, youngish ex-college and minor leaguers, I had BETTER have the best protection money can buy in helmets and chest protectors.

You had better believe I wear the most protection available.  Senior will get me killed with the people I play with these days.

18 hours ago, RichMan said:

Come play a game wearing a senior level c/a in my division of the beer league I play in and see how good it feels.  You'd feel differently.

edit - And no, I don't think I misunderstood anything, its the same thing.  Whether you play in a Junior league or you play in a beer league against men who used to play Junior hockey there is no difference.  Its the same player but older and likely stronger since they're not a kid anymore.  Do you think that just because someone outgrew the junior hockey age group that they all of a sudden forget how to play hockey?  Your line of thought just makes 0 sense.  Sorry.

This is really the golden age of equipment, the “arm sleeves and chest pad “I wore in HS you wouldn’t wear if your young kids were shooting at you today. The senior level gear now most likely exceeds the protection and weight of anything the Pros wore in the 90’s. No one likes to get hurt and for the longest time that was just part of the job as a goalie,bruises that lasted weeks and months. I call it the “pussification” of goalies today,and please no offense to anyone,everyone has different pain tolerances and reasons not be hurt. We are now so used to great gear and the idea of being indestructible that anything less we dismiss. My opinion,which means something to me only most likely,is that the guys who get paid to do this are VASTLY better at it and prepared. The shots that some guys call stingers are shots that NEVER hit a pro in that spot. He’s caught it or moved in way that it doesn’t hit a weak spot. I think of Brodeur playing with that mess of a C/A for so many years and think,he’s just way tougher than me. And that may be true,these guys are used to it. I believe John Brown and Vaughn when they say it’s the same we can buy. It’s not the equipment,it’s us! 

I wore a Bauer Reactor 3 till 2012,if you don’t know what that is,it’s a padded f***ing sweatshirt! I got bit a lot in that but I figured that came with the position and I loved it. Simmons 996 now and I can’t image how you could have something tougher and still move. If @SaveByRichter35is correct,and I have no reason to doubt him ,then if you don’t want to feel pain then Brown is it.

I’m in no way saying that @bunnyman666is off base,guys are Aholes and try to impress the staff at the rink with their bombs but most of the time I find they miss or I make a save that doesn’t hit my body. Senior gear for a lot of guys is fine,budget or play level have to be considered. If your new at this and keep getting hurt then the problem is probably you not the equipment. Try a different level or remember.....most of us just aren’t that good,it is us!

Just my opinion and yours may be different and I’m old so my filter is going away?

18 minutes ago, DALV1 said:

@SaveByRichter35This is really the golden age of equipment, the “arm sleeves and chest pad “I wore in HS you wouldn’t wear if your young kids were shooting at you today. The senior level gear now most likely exceeds the protection and weight of anything the Pros wore in the 90’s.

And the senior level player sticks are leaps and bounds better than anything the guys were using in the 90's. Gear evolves, hockey evolves.

@DALV1 I don’t even completely disagree. There is something to these pros playing with what ends up being less than senior level. They are different than us and it goes right down to how they react to shots. It has been well-documented that John Davidson ended up with great hands because he had deficient chest and arm protection. Belfour wanted to feel the puck to the point of having fortified street hockey pads. But they had what it takes to be a pro; we DO NOT, and it’s okay. 

I wore a small sized helmet with thin padding in Junior hockey as I could see better and wore the same Jofa shoulder pads I wore in the 7th grade. Yes- that was crazy!  But my head was on a swivel and I could see so much better than the guys who wore helmets that made them look like the Great Gazoo!

I did not start tending until the age of 42. That, coupled with getting to a point where feeling like I had the hell beat out of me is no longer desirable is why I want to be aware of a shot but not get the pain or bruising.I still get a shot that numbs my hand for a bit, so it’s not my imagination.  And when I returned to the ice a few years prior to playing goal, the under-sized HT-2 and old, thin Jofa shoulder pads were retired in favour of modern equipment. I need to work the next day.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Come play a game wearing a senior level c/a in my division of the beer league I play in and see how good it feels.  You'd feel differently.

edit - And no, I don't think I misunderstood anything, its the same thing.  Whether you play in a Junior league or you play in a beer league against men who used to play Junior hockey there is no difference.  Its the same player but older and likely stronger since they're not a kid anymore.  Do you think that just because someone outgrew the junior hockey age group that they all of a sudden forget how to play hockey?  Your line of thought just makes 0 sense.  Sorry.

There is some skill degradation, but I've found it's mostly with skating/mobility.  Shooting, passing, and thinking the game are still there for the higher end players.

Beer Leagues are a heck of a lot more open than anything in Junior.  No coaching, no accountability, no structured breakout or PP/PK. 

I dunno about you guys, but my defensemen in Beer League sure as shit won't lay down the body and take a clapper for me - they've gotta wake up in the morning and have their body parts be (semi) functional.

Sometimes it's almost like that scene from the first Mighty Ducks movie where Fulton winds up for a slapper and the players jump out of the way.

I talked with my old goalie coach a couple months ago, and he spent some time as an EBUG for his local AHL team.

He said players at that level are as good, maybe even better than the NHL back when he was playing.  The NHL players are on another level, for the most part.  There's a definite trickle down in skill level as the coaching, off-ice training/body maintenance areas of the sport become more advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

My Brown 2200 C&A (and new pants) just shipped. I can't thank John enough for working with me. We decided the style and protection of the 2200 would be fine with a few additions like the hard plastic, beefed up arms, and shoulder lifts. I face harder shots jumping into my JV or varsity practices (when a goalie is sick or something) but the beer league guys just don't play defense. John and I worked to get something beefed up that didn't lack mobility. No more stingers (hopefully!) If you guys are looking to find that compromise of protection/mobility, JB was great!

Brown.jpg

On 2/5/2018 at 8:37 PM, Cruskater said:

My Brown 2200 C&A (and new pants) just shipped. I can't thank John enough for working with me. We decided the style and protection of the 2200 would be fine with a few additions like the hard plastic, beefed up arms, and shoulder lifts. I face harder shots jumping into my JV or varsity practices (when a goalie is sick or something) but the beer league guys just don't play defense. John and I worked to get something beefed up that didn't lack mobility. No more stingers (hopefully!) If you guys are looking to find that compromise of protection/mobility, JB was great!

Brown.jpg

damn that c/a looks nice, but the pants look a bit odd, look like they have a massive 5 hole, or maybe thats just the angle

On 2/8/2018 at 7:33 AM, Znowleopard said:

damn that c/a looks nice, but the pants look a bit odd, look like they have a massive 5 hole, or maybe thats just the angle

I think it is the angle of the pic. Padding on the pants look a lot thicker and more squared than my Bauers

Archived