Axis with or without external break

Phil1p33

Hey all, looking to see if anyone has tried the Axis both with and without an external break and curious to know if they felt real differences between the two.

I’m currently in a set of Axis 1.9s without an external break and I like a pad with hotter rebounds but I’m getting less delusional about my flexibility. Wondering if an Axis with an external break would be a bit easier on the hips and give me better 5 hole closure or if moving into something like an EF5 with a max rebound core would be better.

TIA

7 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

Hey all, looking to see if anyone has tried the Axis both with and without an external break and curious to know if they felt real differences between the two.

I’m currently in a set of Axis 1.9s without an external break and I like a pad with hotter rebounds but I’m getting less delusional about my flexibility. Wondering if an Axis with an external break would be a bit easier on the hips and give me better 5 hole closure or if moving into something like an EF5 with a max rebound core would be better.

TIA

You could go double internal break but that's if you go custom. The external break will help slightly, the eflex will help more. 

Between a soft and stiff pad I really liked the ccm P2, the best when it came to 5hole closure.  I don't want to let that set go and enjoy it over Mt Axis, it just doesn't slide as good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

TIA

An Axis pad with an external break can potentially give you more 5 hole closure than an Axis without an external break, but, keep in mind that the pad itself is not going to curl in or be pulled in towards the center when down in a butterfly simply because there is a break.  The break itself does not cause curling in or 5 hole closure.  All it does is allow the pad to give and bend more when some sort of pressure is pushing it down or pulling it in. 

I think 5 hole closure has more to do with your particular anantomy in your hips and your technique more than it has to do with your pads, unless your wearing squishy soft pads with a tight thigh strap that will forcibly curl them towards the center when down. 

My overall take from your post is that you are struggling with flexibility/technique and wanting your pads to do more work with 5 hole closure, yes?  If yes, I'm thinking maybe Axis might not be the best choice for your, regardless of breaks. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

@mr_shifty1982 Oh, I didn't think about the double break internal option, thanks.

@seagoal I won't pretend like my flexibility and technique are amazing but maybe I worded my post a bit incorrectly. I can get okay 5 hole closure in my Axis set but with the straighter thigh rises the cost comes at putting a bit more strain on my hips to get that wider flare. My thought was the external break would add a bit more flex above the knee and maybe reduce how wide I needed to get my hips rotated to close off the 5 hole. 

8 minutes ago, Phil1p33 said:

@mr_shifty1982 Oh, I didn't think about the double break internal option, thanks.

@seagoal I won't pretend like my flexibility and technique are amazing but maybe I worded my post a bit incorrectly. I can get okay 5 hole closure in my Axis set but with the straighter thigh rises the cost comes at putting a bit more strain on my hips to get that wider flare. My thought was the external break would add a bit more flex above the knee and maybe reduce how wide I needed to get my hips rotated to close off the 5 hole. 

I hear what you're saying, for sure.

I guess the only way that is possible is if the overall natural shape of pad changes with the external break.

If all else if equal: your hips, your technique, and the shape of the pad, but, the only difference is the break in the pad, you're not going to see any difference.

If the natural shape of the pad curves in more with the break, or, you deliberately bend it at the break to curves it in, then you can get more 5 hole coverage I just don't think it's going to be too significant.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I guess the only way that is possible is if the overall natural shape of pad changes with the external break.

If all else if equal: your hips, your technique, and the shape of the pad, but, the only difference is the break in the pad, you're not going to see any difference.

Oh, that's a good point. I've never seen an Axis with an external break in person but comparing the shape of the no external vs external in the CCM catalog it doesn't look like it changes that much. I'm not sure if that's a great way to compare but looking at the eflex shapes you can definitely tell a difference between the two. 

Getting a chance to demo some EF5's tonight so it will be nice to see if there's a big difference for me between the EF and Axis.

• Like 1