2021-2022 Playoffs

Fullright

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've always had a stance that if the infraction doesn't affect the spirit of the rule and/or the actual play at hand, then it's a good non call. 

This is what I've always stood by.

IMO, don't let refs and coaches have access to slow-mo vids for offsides and all of this goes away. If it's too close to call in real time, it's too close to call to matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

The goal he gave up to Hedman was pretty bad.  He was way off angle.  Shot came a few inches off the left faceoff dot, but his right knee was above the 45 marker in the crease.  Despite that, he played well the rest of the game.  Nothing he could have done on the first, MacKinnon was busy complaining to the ref instead of bodying up Cirelli

Some debate on the internets today on the validity of Kadri's goal, the complaint is that the play should have been blown dead for too many men.  Avs absolutely owned zone time in OT and that was enough to do Tampa in I think

OT winner was another low blocker goal on Vasi, that seems to be the game plan on him in this series

Avs camp is putting up some drama about ice conditions in Tampa, accusing rink staff of running the rink hot so the ice is a little slushy to slow them down

Will be an interesting game 5 tomorrow

Obviously I have nothing to back it up, but I wouldn't doubt for one moment that they ran ice conditions to be as favorable to the Lightning/hindering to the Avs as possible. Why wouldn't they?

17 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

Obviously I have nothing to back it up, but I wouldn't doubt for one moment that they ran ice conditions to be as favorable to the Lightning/hindering to the Avs as possible. Why wouldn't they?

Teams of all levels have been pulling shit like this for yeeeeaaaars. Anything to get a slight bit of edge.

I remember the most creative one I remember growing up was the time the opposing team let Japanese Taiko drummers practice at a room that shared a wall with our locker, coincidentally when we were getting ready. Our ears were ringing by the time we got on the ice.

41 minutes ago, johncho said:

Teams of all levels have been pulling shit like this for yeeeeaaaars. Anything to get a slight bit of edge.

I remember the most creative one I remember growing up was the time the opposing team let Japanese Taiko drummers practice at a room that shared a wall with our locker, coincidentally when we were getting ready. Our ears were ringing by the time we got on the ice.

The best ones I've probably heard are from the Danbury Trashers. If you haven't watched Untold: Crimes and Penalties on Netflix, definitely check it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So massive Avs fan here, so unbiased opinion. Darcy Kuemper is dogshit. I have had bad games of my own, bad streaks, and witnessed plenty others, but oh my god it feels like Tampa has six guys on the ice all the time because this guy lets in bad goals left and right! I can say with confidence and goalie coaching experience that not one goal tonight was good. Each one should have been stopped. I just don’t understand. Maybe he is still injured or something but if the Avs pull this off in six or seven Kuemper could be the worst goalie of all time to win a cup.

For me, it’s more about MacKinnon playing like a beer leaguer. That skate-as-fast-as-you-can-while-chopping-salad bullshit doesn’t work in the playoffs. He ends up skating right into pressure and turns the puck over. Competent defending can stop that. Same as McDavid for Edmonton. This isn’t a Tuesday in February when your opponent is Ottawa on a back to back. These are the best of the best teams and they get rest, travel the same as you and they’re game-planning for you and only you.

Four of the five goals scored tonight were weird. We’ve all had the leg pad landing on the stick situation before like the winning goal. Unfortunate. We should ask why Palat was allowed to stand wide open in the low slot for a one-timer. Also, after scoring seven in game two, Colorado is having a hell of a time scoring goals that don’t look like pinball games. Shows me their forwards aren’t being dynamic. 

As far as goaltending goes, it seems Canadian goalies aren’t elite anymore. The top dogs appear to be European. What the hell’s going on up there in canuck-land?

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

So massive Avs fan here, so unbiased opinion. Darcy Kuemper is dogshit. I have had bad games of my own, bad streaks, and witnessed plenty others, but oh my god it feels like Tampa has six guys on the ice all the time because this guy lets in bad goals left and right! I can say with confidence and goalie coaching experience that not one goal tonight was good. Each one should have been stopped. I just don’t understand. Maybe he is still injured or something but if the Avs pull this off in six or seven Kuemper could be the worst goalie of all time to win a cup.

I missed most of the 1st period so I didn't see the first one. 

Third goal against was absolute dogshit.

I think the difference maker in this game was that even though the second was not his fault (Kucherov ripped that off the post and in), Vasi would have found a way to stop it

And agreed with @WillyGrips13 - MacKinnon has been frustratingly quiet, can't win a series let alone the Cup if your top forward only has one goal (off his skate!) the entire series

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I missed most of the 1st period so I didn't see the first one. 

Third goal against was absolute dogshit.

I think the difference maker in this game was that even though the second was not his fault (Kucherov ripped that off the post and in), Vasi would have found a way to stop it

And agreed with @WillyGrips13 - MacKinnon has been frustratingly quiet, can't win a series let alone the Cup if your top forward only has one goal (off his skate!) the entire series

The first goal went right through him no traffic

3 minutes ago, netminder said:

Pretty close stat line. Better goalie won in the end. Vasy finally had more then a Jamie Benn or Suzuki to face in the final. Talk about as easy as it gets for opponents those last 2 years vs teams that didnt even make the playoffs in their following season.

image.thumb.png.27d3723edae1f3e711e2753e0704cf44.png

2.52 GAA and 0.922 while having a 7 goal game against. 

Playing against four 50 win teams. 

But Yea, "outplayed by his back up" Kuemper was the better goalie.

My lord. 

To me it felt like Vasy was letting a lot of juicy rebounds right back into the slot. And I remember the Leafs had a good game plan against him by going east-west behind the net to get him moving side to side and sitting low, then back up to the high slot to shoot.

Wonder how these two teams will do next year. This was the first full regular season (minus the small COVID stops around Christmas) with playoffs that ran really long. It's a well discussed sports cause and effect when teams play months more than other teams in the league.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:16 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

Yup, and I called it. Goaltending none factors. 

Kuemper was pretty mild all playoffs. Which is strange because dude is normally lights out. 

A lot of times it felt like Colorado was winning despite his efforts. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:26 AM, MTH said:

Wonder how these two teams will do next year. This was the first full regular season (minus the small COVID stops around Christmas) with playoffs that ran really long. It's a well discussed sports cause and effect when teams play months more than other teams in the league.

Tampa over the last three years had played in 26 more playoff games than Colorado and it showed. That's essentially an entire post season worth of games. They looked spent. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:26 AM, netminder said:

Darcy 2.57 while having 6 goal game in only 2 periods, so what? That happens. 

Opponent strength arguement falls EXACTLY where I said: a Benn and Suzuki led finals the last 2 years is AHL hockey at best. He got MVP last year in the easiest NHL Cup run of all time too.

Pick a lane.

His save percentage that's lower than his backup, and that puts him at 18/30 of the goalies that played these playoffs contradicts yours take of "the better goalie won". Kuemper was terrible this post season and was absolutely carried by Colorado's stellar defensive and team play. 

In comparison to Vasilevskiy who essentially was the front runner for the Conn Smythe for Tampa. 

Colorado without Kuemper probably doesn't change the outcome (Fancsouz was just as good).

Tampa without Vasilevskiy doesn't make past the first round.

• Like 2

And just in case there's any doubt to how little of a factor Kuemper was all playoffs:

He's bottom of the list of GSAx at -7.29. Franscouz blows him out of the water at a lousy -1.21. Vasy is third with 9.7. 

His winning percentage of .902 is the lowest save percentage since Grant Fuhr's 0.883 in 1988.

Vasy faced almost double the shots than Kuemper did (749 vs 382). 

Kuemper faced an average of 24 shots a games, Vasy faced an average of 33. 

I legitimately can't tell if you're trolling or if this is another Netminder™ awful take on reality. 

Untitled.thumb.png.7e9101df7d8d01f2a90d456b3ca5919f.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Couple of records set last night. In the broadcast they said Jared Bednar was the first coach to win an ECHL championship, AHL championship and NHL championship.

And of course, Corey Perry is the first player to lose three straight Stanley Cup finals on three different teams. At least he can take solace in winning the cup in ‘07 with the Quacks 🦆.

1 hour ago, netminder said:

4-2 record, 2.98 gaa, .908 S%

or

2-4 record, 3.23 gaa, .905 S%

Better goalie won. 

/full stop

Colorado playoff run was won based on electric offensive play and Makar...not goaltending. Kuemp made the saves he should have to win games, if he did in the first place it's over in game 5....we saw what he gave up.  I don't recall him being spectacular. 

His playoffs numbers in active goalies are in the middle of the pack in the playoffs, he also played less games, and Colorado really had no competition but Tampa. 

The better offensive team won, that had more gas in the tank.

Edited by mr_shifty1982

5 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Colorado playoff run was won based on electric offensive play and Makar...not goaltending. Kuemp made the saves he should have to win games, if he did in the first place it's over in game 5....we saw what he gave up.  I don't recall him being spectacular. 

His playoffs numbers in active goalies are in the middle of the pack in the playoffs, he also played less games, and Colorado really had no competition but Tampa. 

The better offensive team won, that had more gas in the tank.

Also to add to that, their 2.75 GA/GP is the second worst amongst Cup winners in the cap era but their 4.25 GF/GP is far and away the best of any winner.

Colorado just outscored and outblocked their inconsistent goaltending problem. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Lanche earned it. Great run.

Fun to watch playoff season.  No one stunk the joint out and it was good to not have an outmatched team carried by a hot goalie who got overwhelmed by a really strong team the Finals.

Funny enough, had Nashville not lost Saros right before the playoffs, I could see him dragging his team along

• Like 1