Protect the neck

cwarnar

***Just a disclaimer before I start... I am NOT interested in a Maltese collar for various reasons I’m not interested in getting into... so please don’t provide info on their product***

i haven’t worn a neck guard since midget hockey 20 years ago... more and more I’m leaning to moving back into a collar or neck guard... I had a dangler on much mask for a year and a drives me nuts.  I’m concerned with having neck freedom for so long I’ll feel like I’m getting choked out by something

I’m looking for some feedback on the following

- PAW - I know Sara makes a quality product I’m just curious about options and customization)

F53A70C3-BB19-4308-89EA-5853352A9EC3.jpeg.cd45ae901852c1144fdfa4fcc8bf4e03.jpeg

- Vaughn XF/XR (is there a difference)

3550137D-DD4D-44AB-AD14-C8C8AEE1209C.thumb.jpeg.cd7f01c09f95aa64726593e447e6f720.jpeg

- Aegis Interceptor G

E56F5595-ED0F-4D87-A6B6-75A1E140C5C8.jpeg.8297d3ed54af7ffb7d1b32c58a251803.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever you decide to get your hands on, make sure it actually sits around your neck, kinda like a turtle neck sweater and not dupe down, like what Price wears, which I find is utterly useless to his protection.

My Maltese wears around my neck and has protected me from a forward shot and a stick slash near the back side.

Choose wisely Danielsan :)

1 hour ago, ruckus007 said:

I use the Vaughn XR - it has a bigger bib area and the side wings are slightly round and raised. It's been good to me. 

I haven't heard much of the Aegis however on GGSU some people said it's not thick enough to offer legitimate protection.

Any idea what the difference between the XF and XR is?

While I'm obviously biased, you did not ask for opinions on Maltese product.  If we did you wrong I'd like to hear about it, and am open to discussing any issues you have via PM. 

Regardless, I still have some information to offer:

On the Aegis: based on some feedback that I've read on GGSU folks have said it is super comfortable, but the protection is not there.  Based on some pics others have posted, it uses a very thin sheet of D30, and the way the padding is segmented, it does not cover all the vulnerable areas around your neck and clavicle.

CCM: I tried the Koho branded version of a very similar design many years ago and found it very hot and restrictive.

@TheGoalNet rocks a PAW and based on our conversations, he is very happy with it.  I've seen Sara's work up close (my brother has a pair of her knee pads) and they are very well made.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I currently use the Aegis, coming from a Battram.  I had to put in a sweatband in the neck section of the Aegis to make it more comfortable for me.  I actually took a shot to the collarbone the first time I used it (thanks to a teammate in warm ups!) and had a slight bruise the day after.  I took an exact shot to the same collarbone years ago with the Battram and had a worse bruise.  The Battram only has foam, so the thin D3O layer protected better than the foam.

I’ve struggled a bit in this area too. While I was extremely satisfied (as I wrote about in another thread) with the build and function of my Maltese combo, unfortunately I think my own mistake in measuring my neck resulted in the wrong size for me. May be modding it to fit, not sure. 

In the meantime I have the Vaughn XF unit as a backup. It’s ok, certainly lightweight, but it’s only comfortable if I let it hang loose Price-style as someone mentioned above. 

I ordered a Verbero shirt on a whim since it looked like a more form-fitting set up I might actually wear. Not sure if it would be protective enough to wear solo, but might find a way to Frankenstein it with my Maltese. 

@cwarnar - You want the neck guard that I worked on with PAW. It's basically a hybrid of Sara's product and the CCM floating neck. I will take some pictures in the next couple days. 

I have used this and the Maltese. I know you are NOT interested in Maltese, but here is a quick comparison for your notes... 

Maltese - Lightweight, breathable, and overall more comfort. It has that naked feeling. 

PAW - Bulletproof, full bespoke level of customization, and moves naturally with the body. This feels more like being hugged with padding. 

I have never taken a clapper to the neck while wearing the Maltese, so I cannot accurately compare the protection. However, it would be tough to beat the PAW by a great magnitude 

11 hours ago, creasecollector said:

I can't offer any reviews/opinion on the ones you mentioned, but If you're open to more suggestions here's a look at the CCM Neck protector shirt:

0026423_ccm-senior-pro-neck-guard.png

I've been wearing this for a year or so and I love it! 

Great concept, but lacking in 2 major areas...

1. Materials... really? It's like a sweat shirt under your chest pad 

2. Neck padding - The floating collar is a perfect design, but the CCM version has nothing for impact protection 

If they update this unit to include D30 in the neck, make it a bib style, and then update the materials... we have a winner! 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar - You want the neck guard that I worked on with PAW. It's basically a hybrid of Sara's product and the CCM floating neck. I will take some pictures in the next couple days. 

I have used this and the Maltese. I know you are NOT interested in Maltese, but here is a quick comparison for your notes... 

Maltese - Lightweight, breathable, and overall more comfort. It has that naked feeling. 

PAW - Bulletproof, full bespoke level of customization, and moves naturally with the body. This feels more like being hugged with padding. 

I have never taken a clapper to the neck while wearing the Maltese, so I cannot accurately compare the protection. However, it would be tough to beat the PAW by a great magnitude 

That would be awesome if I can get pics... I'll PM you for a few other details

I wear one of the Vaughn 7000. Same overall style as the XR.

I've found it to be more than fine throughout the years. If you're looking for bomb proof protection, this isn't the way to go.

I see the Vaughn units as more accident prevention instead of potential bruise prevention. Though, I've yet to receive a bruise while wearing this thing and I've taken a few shots in the vicinity. Nothing straight on though.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - That is one thing I did not dive into when I was with Dennis, but I don't get it. What does anyone anyone make a neck guard that is not designed to absorb impact? Only protecting against skate cuts seems silly. I know I have taken way more pucks to the neck than skates 

I know what you’re saying. I did spec a thicker clavicle pad because of the way I wear my chesty. I caught a clapper on my clavicle. 

Dennis believes that the dangler should be what protects you from the pucks and the function of a neck guard is to prevent skate cuts. I see where he comes from.

I am relying upon both the dangler and neck guard and hope for the best...

One thing I found with the dangler was that shots to the side of the neck would push the dangler up and the puck would still end up hitting the collar bone. Happened to me 3 times in two ice sessions, which is what led to me ditching the dangler and making my own neck guard out of kemmler shock tec foam and an old under armour compression shirt.

Archived