Sad News About Our Bunnyman

seagoal

Hey everyone, I'm passing along some sad news that one of our very own goalies and TGN regulars, Bunnyman, passed away recently.  Bunny was a regular contributor on here for several years and to say the least, he had one of the most unique personalities on this site and he posts were always....lively :) Bunny shared our love for goaltending and goalie gear, no doubt. I was sad to learn this news.  He will be missed.

I found out through an unusual sequence of events.  Many of you on here have kindly and generously helped me out with a personal puck collection that I keep where I try to collect every NHL team puck or any other cool, unique pucks that I can find. The catch is that they must come directly from the area of the team either by travel or personal connections.  I needed a St. Louis Blues puck so I hit Bunny up, knowing he lived near there.  Through a series of messages I was offered 2 pucks from the area, one Blues puck and one Fox Sports Midwest puck, and at the end of the exchange I was left with a cryptic message that I did not understand at the time: 

"Do something nice for someone. That is all I ask. Bunny wanted people to do nice things to make the world better, even if it were just things that made people happy in the most visceral ways.  Underneath all of the shrouded mystery, he only wanted to make people smile."

That's the message I got from his family member from his account.  After inquiring, I learned of his passing.  I also received my pucks with a nice note inside the box. 

I think that's the best way to say goodbye, Bunnyman. Do something nice for someone and try to make people smile.  Let's all do our part. 

Rest In Peace, goalie brother. 

• Sad 24

As quirky as he was, you just had to admire the "bloke" as he would say.  He found so many positives with so many negatives.  He tried so hard to create content and get conversation going, some more well received than others.  He really was a sweet man though.  Rest peacefully Doug.  

PS Can I have back my old Richter pads that I sold you so many years ago?(I'm joking)  Unless of course, you performed your Bunny surgeries on those as well lol.

• Like 2

As odd a guy as he was he truly did mean well and helped me with a lot going on in my personal life as well as hockey over the past couple years. Without him who knows what kind of mess I'd be in right now or how much control I'd really have over my life.

• Like 3

Years ago I sent him the infamous Passmore blocker to let him enjoy it and maybe throw some luck his way. He'd always tell me things about it. Said he was going to do a big write up on it. Was always so darn nice and thoughtful. Funny as they come.

Doug last messaged me on April 19th. His treatments were not as effective as hoped. He was continuing to push through though. I wished I would have contacted him more in the past few weeks. He was always so positive that it was hard to figure out if he was in bad shape or doing well. I guess that's what tough guys do, we mask the things we endure and put on a good face. 

Since he's gone, I'll share a little what he would tell me about his life. He was in a long battle with cancer and still kept playing while going through it. His doctors seemed positive for him (maybe that was his own positive spin). The medical things were tough on him and his family as expected. They seemed to be there for him when he needed it and he was ever so gracious for that. He spoke so highly of Angi and all that she did for him.

Angi - if you're reading this thread, thanks for taking care of Doug. We were lucky to have him. Hopefully you and the family are ok.

I could go on - like the rest of us here could too.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Some more funny things about Bunny. After a procedure, he made a new account named 'Dumpy' (as Coopaloop warned me). If you knew Bunny's persona, the name 'Dumpy' was hilarious.

Here's a PM I goy from 'Dumpy'.

Did you ever sell that thing? I looked you up hoping you had a T2000 like you talked about. But Kevin Weekes is a role model for me. Let me know. 

thanks, DeWayne 

The name DeWayne cracked me up. WTF? Bunny recently designed a way rad T2000 clone glove and even had the man, the myth, the legend, Kevin Weeks give the glove some love. So this message from 'Dumpy' with love of the T2000 and Weekes as his role model... funny as heck.

Damn you cancer!

• Like 1

Since we're discussing our friend Doug - I think it would be cool if we knew a little more about him. Here's his Linkedin bio:

AboutAbout

I want to solve problems. Whether it was from my nearly thirty years as a hair stylist or in the business world, over coming a challenge is what I excell at accomplishing. The way I derive satisfaction for myself is to make others deliriously happy.

I strive to make working every working relationship into a rewarding experience for all involved. The attitude I possess is that all challenges have a solution; “nothing is impossible” would not be a cliche phrase from me, but that phrase is my motto and I live it daily. My problem-solving acumen is one of my best qualities. I also can diffuse the most tense situations. My best quality, however, is my attention to detail in any job I am tasked with.

Having gone through some recent personal challenges myself, I can attest that all problems have a solution. Losing my colon in 2018 presented challenges that I have overcome and has been a great life lesson in the philosophy of “nothing is impossible”. In order to take on ANY challenge, you must have a “can do” attitude; I possess that trait in SPADES.

Doug was an interesting dude to say the least. Funny - I never knew he was a hair stylist too. He always said he looked like Paul Stanley from KISS. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Rest easy Bunnyman. We're all just passing thru. 

@seagoal you got a special new puck for your collection

For. Sure.

Check out these beauties, the goalie one is just perfection.  I'll always think of Bunnyman and his wife who sent these every time I see it. 

20220523_150419.thumb.jpg.be7f7ec164e10de385f63aae0750877d.jpg

I also wanted to mention in this thread, because it has to be done, that Bunny LOVED him some hot hockey commentators (of the female variety). His posts on this were hilarious.

440734572_Screenshot_20220524-112041_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f88bf0e29b8d7d5a1d410c8450ffec80.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, MTH said:

Since we're discussing our friend Doug - I think it would be cool if we knew a little more about him. Here's his Linkedin bio:

Doug was an interesting dude to say the least. Funny - I never knew he was a hair stylist too. He always said he looked like Paul Stanley from KISS. 

The post below stuck with me because it was so out of left-field...advertising his hair-styling and skate-sharpening business on the face of his pads. That's just so fucking.... Bunnyman ;) ...I was imagining him sharpening your blades and cutting you a mullet all in under 15min :D

I own a Cricut. Of course I am infamous for making Pooper gear with mine. 

I suppose you could do anything that is in a Vector format. Now you can even use the Vector on an iPhone/iPad. I put funky stars on a SK2000 inspired clone, but admit that I haven’t gotten too far from advertising my hair and skate sharpening businesses on the face of my pads and converting my brand names to Pooper. 

Edited by estogoalie

Wow. didn’t know the full extent of his health issues but even with that he was still positive and loved playing goal as much as anyone else here. He put a lot of effort into his mods and I can’t say putting custom padding to protect your ostomy bag so he could play goal anyways is something you see everyday lol. I wish I could say more to give him more justice but I think we could take some advice from him by trying to stay happy and enjoy the sport we all love even when facing awful stuff like that. I can’t imagine what he went through in those last few months but he was one tough dude. 

It’s weird to think that we kind of brush off the people we interact with on the internet cause we don’t really know them, and all of a sudden they’re gone. Of course there’s gonna be some douchebags out there but you never know what someone could be going through even if they’re positive.  

Rear easy Doug, I didn’t know you well but you will be missed. God rest your soul

Edited by southpawtendy48
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Wow. didn’t know the full extent of his health issues but even with that he was still positive and loved playing goal as much as anyone else here. He put a lot of effort into his mods and I can’t say putting custom padding to protect your ostomy bag so he could play goal anyways is something you see everyday lol. I wish I could say more to give him more justice but I think we could take some advice from him by trying to stay happy and enjoy the sport we all love even when facing awful stuff like that. I can’t imagine what he went through in those last few months but he was one tough dude. 

It’s weird to think that we kind of brush off the people we interact with on the internet cause we don’t really know them, and all of a sudden they’re gone. Of course there’s gonna be some douchebags out there but you never know what someone could be going through even if they’re positive.  

Rear easy Doug, I didn’t know you well but you will be missed. God rest your soul

Well said, friend.  This whole situation made me keenly aware of how much time I have spent over the years on this website and talking about goaltending and gear and hockey and life.  This time spent is a valuable part of my life and I am grateful for it and for everyone on here who contributes. 

• Like 4

He was a weirdo that stood out in a group of weidos. He did stuff to his gear that I would never think of or try, and it seemed like he just had fun with playing, which is what we should all be doing. I don't know if he could stop a puck or not, but it didn't matter, he was one of us.

My condolences to his family and friends on their loss. RIP Bunnyman.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 2padstack said:

He was a weirdo that stood out in a group of weidos. He did stuff to his gear that I would never think of or try, and it seemed like he just had fun with playing, which is what we should all be doing. I don't know if he could stop a puck or not, but it didn't matter, he was one of us.

My condolences to his family and friends on their loss. RIP Bunnyman.

This should be on his headstone. I'd think he'd get a kick of that.

Someone I worked with passed away in 2014. Was a veteran who suffered from agent orange while in Vietnam. Awesome guy. Retired then passed away before I knew it. Had the greatest obituary ever:

MICENEC
PAUL R., age 67, passed away on Sept. 6 2014. Paul is survived by a life partner, ex-wife, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. "Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting Holy Cow.…what a ride. No viewing, no funeral, no kidding. Donations in his name can be made to Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Ave., Phila., PA 19111.

This guy was a cornucopia of life stories. Yet his obit was as plain as they come. Yet, awesome.

Doug seemed to be a similar type guy for sure. Kept the things he didn't want you to know to himself. Was always eager to help and in a good mood. While I never met him in person, the numerous exchanges and all were amazing through the years. 

While I have a great picture of Paul (sitting at my desk with his feet up smiling ) hanging on my office wall - I get to keep seeing Doug's posts online for as long as possible. It's like he's still there in that capacity.

• Like 3