Sad News About Our Bunnyman

seagoal

10 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

It’s weird to think that we kind of brush off the people we interact with on the internet cause we don’t really know them, and all of a sudden they’re gone.  

I came home from work yesterday and was thinking about this. How do you tell someone you're sad that 'someone you knew online' had passed away? The phrase is exactly correct, but it comes off to others differently.

There have been several people from GSBB and here that have passed away that I was sad about. Junior Cats (Mike) was one of them.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, MTH said:

I came home from work yesterday and was thinking about this. How do you tell someone you're sad that 'someone you knew online' had passed away? The phrase is exactly correct, but it comes off to others differently.

There have been several people from GSBB and here that have passed away that I was sad about. Junior Cats (Mike) was one of them.

It's one of those things that unless you're part of a tight knit community like these, it's hard to understand. 

Though because of how niche this group is, we get a better chance to know people on a deeper level and their passing is more impactful. 

Wouldn't have it any other way. These types of group are more meaningful and, for myself at least, my involvement means more than any other media platform. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I felt this, too. This was actually the first time in my life that I have lost an online friend and even saying it out loud to my partner, teammates, and coworker was awkward in a very unique way.  I don't spend any time on social media or online socializing other than here so I have no personal frame of reference or experience with this.

I had several people in my life ask me if I was ok the day of and after this because they could tell something happened.  One of my teammates, who skates out but also plays goalie, is always in the locker room right after me.  He's my best friend on the team and he could tell something was up for our game the night after I learned this news.  So I told he and he was amazing for me, a good friend.  He knows how much time I spend on here.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's one of those things that unless you're part of a tight knit community like these, it's hard to understand. 

Though because of how niche this group is, we get a better chance to know people on a deeper level and their passing is more impactful. 

Wouldn't have it any other way. These types of group are more meaningful and, for myself at least, my involvement means more than any other media platform. 

Bingo.  Right as always (check that, you're mostly right) :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MTH said:

That’s very true. Funnily though, I met my eventual best friends through social media and have luckily met most of them in person. they’re the best people I could have as friends.

My dad is aware of my involvement on this forum and when I told him I found out about this he was very sympathetic about it. I’m glad to have someone as understanding as him because he knows you can make a strong connection with people even if it’s just on the internet. Even if I didn’t know bunny that well at all, I’m heartbroken because of the others he clearly had an impact on.

No matter where the relationship may end up, it’s still good to try and be kind to others, even strangers. It could make their day. Obviously, it’s still a good idea to be careful with who you interact with.. but you never know.

• Like 2

In a private message a few months ago when he was cutting weight to play again, I asked where "Bunny" originated. He told me his favorite goalie was Bunny Laroque. Like his favorite, a good man gone way too soon. We're all better off having known him and we're all worse off without him. In my haste and shock, I forgot to add that to my post about this kind soul. Forgive me, Bunny.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Fullright said:

In a private message a few months ago when he was cutting weight to play again, I asked where "Bunny" originated. He told me his favorite goalie was Bunny Laroque. Like his favorite, a good man gone way too soon. We're all better off having known him and we're all worse off without him. In my haste and shock, I forgot to add that to my post about this kind soul. Forgive me, Bunny.

I always thought he liked bunnies  

I remember seeing a bunny in one of his sidelineswap listings, I was tempted to ask if that’s where he got his username from.

5 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I always thought he liked bunnies  

I remember seeing a bunny in one of his sidelineswap listings, I was tempted to ask if that’s where he got his username from.

He legit liked bunnies.  I was told he made anonymous donations to an organization called the House Rabbit Society.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

It’s weird to think that we kind of brush off the people we interact with on the internet cause we don’t really know them, and all of a sudden they’re gone. Of course there’s gonna be some douchebags out there but you never know what someone could be going through even if they’re positive.

17 hours ago, seagoal said:

Well said, friend.  This whole situation made me keenly aware of how much time I have spent over the years on this website and talking about goaltending and gear and hockey and life.  This time spent is a valuable part of my life and I am grateful for it and for everyone on here who contributes. 

8 hours ago, MTH said:

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This is very true.  I recently met a few guys from a Rangers forum for the first time at a local bar for one of the 1st round games.  She found it very odd.  Said how I complain so much about my "actual" friends never getting together often enough, why waste time with new people you don't actually know?  My response was, well, I do know them.  I never said I didn't know them.  I said I never met them.  I talk to these guys every day.  Just as often as I talk to my "real" friends.  My "real friends" don't care to meet up for a beer and watch a game, these guys do, so we are.  She then found it odd that two guys from a lawn care facebook group came over the house to help me with my front yard project.  I told her I don't know what to say.  My "real friends" are content texting every day and seeing each other once a month.  My "fake friends", I guess?, want to get together.  Am I supposed to say no because I know them from the internet and not from elementary/middle school? lol.  

Edit - Oh, plot twist, even though my wife and I went to high school together and had a lot of friends in common, we never actually crossed paths in school.  We met...wait for it...ONLINE DATING 
Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I want to share parts of a conversation I am having with Doug's wife, Angi.  With her permission of course.

Good evening,

This is Douggie’s wife, Angi.

I want to clear up a few things:

a) Douggie was going to officially ring the bell on 5/16/2022; his death was not cancer-related. 
b) Yes- Douggie loved Bunny Larocque; he had several pet rabbits over the years. His last was a black and white Dutch Dwarf named Trixie, who is in his avatar.

c) Thanks to MTH for making me aware that I needed to shut down Douggie’s LinkedIn. Doug’s phone has been blowing up.

d) Thank you EVERYONE for the love you have shared towards my Douggie. He was a troubled man who always sought approval when none was needed.

e) Can we shut down his account(s)? Yes- there is stuff I want to sell from him as it is part of his estate. How can we do this?

Doug became a Dad when it counted; both to my daughter and to another woman’s child when she asked. Douggie loved being a Dad, especially when another man wouldn’t step up. It angered Douggie when a man couldn’t be ENOUGH of a man to be a Dad to children others fathered. 

Thanks for understanding that he us a bit misunderstood. I was the first woman to recognize this and just let him be Douggie.

Yours, 

Angi

I told Angi that I would prefer not to outright delete his account because then we would lose everything he posted.  It would be as if he never existed on here.  We certainly don't want that.  However, if it is her absolute wish, we can have his account wiped.

Thanks, Jimmy.

He passed on 5/15. He was going to officially ring the bell on 5/16. This has been harder than anything I could have imagined. I trudged on after my first husband left me. What an ass hat, along with the other men who followed. Douggie was so strange and wonderful. I met him years back and couldn’t take my eyes away from him.  An ideal situation (Douggie called it a “perfect storm” LOL) occurred recently and we started dating and we eventually married. 

I get it about the Richter pads. I am a brass tacks type of lady. Douggie said he finally got it right when he married me. I was his third wife. I will get Riley on that if you want them. Riley took an interest when Douggie fixed pads while watched TV. Douggie did direct that anything that wasn’t sale-able would be mended and donated to a youth hockey program. Douggie truly wanted to grow the game, as the game was so good to him. Between rabbits and hockey, those things helped him beat a deep drug addiction at a young age. 

Please make everything public except for what was directed towards you LOL I don’t want to make anything weird, but Douggie did NOT die of cancer. I couldn’t wait to broadcast that he beat cancer around the world! Douggie started eating clean upon my insistence! He would do ANYTHING for his blonde MILF!!!! He cracked me up with that shit! Douggie was so respectful of women even if it appeared otherwise. He was in awe of my keen sense of business and was all ears when it came to learning my tricks. 

If I could sell his stuff through his account, that would be fantastic. I need to get rid of his things as his wish was to have a big auction to benefit his charities of choice. I am afraid of hackers. That is why I had asked about deleting his account(s).

Thank you for your compassion, Jimmy.

Angi

So our beloved Bunny had beaten his cancer after all.  Great job, Doug.

I again told her that we would be happy to host his stuff in our swap shop but it might also be good to post everything elsewhere too as this place only gets so much traffic.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

.  My "fake friends", I guess?, want to get together.  Am I supposed to say no because I know them from the internet and not from elementary/middle school? lol.  

Edit - Oh, plot twist, even though my wife and I went to high school together and had a lot of friends in common, we never actually crossed paths in school.  We met...wait for it...ONLINE DATING 
Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

Isn't that the whole point of the internet? To bring people together? 

It's what brought your wife and I together. 

200.gif.4323b7656f9675ca4a8fecc98e7d9726.gif

(bunny would approve of such jokes at your expense) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just be careful. Sometimes when you go to meet your internet friends behind 7-11 late at night, they turn out to be cops. Just sayin' ;) 

• Haha 3

On 5/26/2022 at 8:27 AM, estogoalie said:

Just out of curiosity, what did he die from? (If the family prefers not to say, I of course understand.)

I obviously don't know about Bunny.

Back in 2008 My dad passed away after fighting cancer for years. He too was cancer free. But the years of radiation and the toll on my dad's body had left him pretty banged up and my dad died from sepsis (infections). 

There are both physical and mental tolls from cancer battles. It's terrible.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Thanks to MTH for making me aware that I needed to shut down Douggie’s LinkedIn. Doug’s phone has been blowing up.

I was looking for an obituary for him and I landed on his Linkedln page.

I’m going to wear my “Pooper” shirt I bought from Doug (a couple years ago) to work tomorrow a tribute of sorts. 

I loved his sense of Humor, though his battles.  

Edited by Mike24
  • Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 11:59 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

All good dude.  How do you think you met your wife?  I pointed her in your direction when I was done with her 
No Way Burn GIF by Bad Boys For Life

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...