TGN Deep Dive: CCM Axis 2

TheGoalNet

9 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

One question remains, how do they slide compared to bauer?

From what I’ve seen. I don’t think you can expect speedskin to magically match the CORTECH / sl1d3r skin tech, but the stiffer landing probably helps this one slide a bit better than past ccms

40 minutes ago, maxtm30 said:

From what I’ve seen. I don’t think you can expect speedskin to magically match the CORTECH / sl1d3r skin tech, but the stiffer landing probably helps this one slide a bit better than past ccms

I had EFlex 5 with speedskin and they slid no where near as well as bauer. I have heard that Axis with weave slid just as well as bauer in some situations though so I’d imagine Axis 2 would do the same

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I had EFlex 5 with speedskin and they slid no where near as well as bauer. I have heard that Axis with weave slid just as well as bauer in some situations though so I’d imagine Axis 2 would do the same

I think he mentioned that they were sliding better than the Axis1, but also said the it was a Jen Pro pad....I wanted to know if the materials are indeed Jen Pro that he's testing, or something else? @TheGoalNet

Due to the new construction of the pad sliding surface, they were sliding better as well he mentioned, main reason why they were...maybe not much to do with materials.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet About 12 min in you're talking about the new knee stack and I noticed the sliding surface at the top of the stack is already discolored. Is that just the result of some dirt? Puck mark from a Giguere flare knee stack save? Or is the edge there really pronounced and wearing some?

image.png.505cc80642a43c4f9d02d9eb10ab6cd8.png

I got a feeling that the pad ate the puck up lol

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Weave and jenpro is the same. Weave don’t slide better it’s a myth 

5 hours ago, maxtm30 said:

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

4 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I think he mentioned that they were sliding better than the Axis1, but also said the it was a Jen Pro pad....I wanted to know if the materials are indeed Jen Pro that he's testing, or something else? @TheGoalNet

Due to the new construction of the pad sliding surface, they were sliding better as well he mentioned, main reason why they were...maybe not much to do with materials.

I think I can answer all 3 of these at once.

If CCM tells me Speed Skin slides better in their internal test, I don't argue and go with weave or Jenpro. Any set I have ordered since Speed Skin existed has had it.

The skin is not the only piece that factors into the raw sliding speed. The layup on the foams underneath, shape of the sliding area, # of seams, etc go into it. CCM may not be as good as Brian's or Bauer, but this is the best sliding CCM pad to date. Each generation of CCM pad slides a bit better than the previous generation.

Also, ice quality makes a huge difference for sliding. Good ice vs bad ice. Clean ice vs beaten ice. CCM is probably as good as anyone on good clean ice. It's bad ice or beat up ice when I feel like the sliding lacks. Bauer has fixed this problem over time. Optislide was the least effected.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I think I can answer all 3 of these at once.

If CCM tells me Speed Skin slides better in their internal test, I don't argue and go with weave or Jenpro. Any set I have ordered since Speed Skin existed has had it.

The skin is not the only piece that factors into the raw sliding speed. The layup on the foams underneath, shape of the sliding area, # of seams, etc go into it. CCM may not be as good as Brian's or Bauer, but this is the best sliding CCM pad to date. Each generation of CCM pad slides a bit better than the previous generation.

Also, ice quality makes a huge difference for sliding. Good ice vs bad ice. Clean ice vs beaten ice. CCM is probably as good as anyone on good clean ice. It's bad ice or beat up ice when I feel like the sliding lacks. Bauer has fixed this problem over time. Optislide was the least effected.

Also, I believe that you mentioned that you got no breaks in the core...how do you find the 5hole closure due to that? Your Axis 1s were double break I believe.....

11 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Also, I believe that you mentioned that you got no breaks in the core...how do you find the 5hole closure due to that? Your Axis 1s were double break I believe.....

I had single break on Axis.

Axis 2 core is 90% stiffer than Axis 1. That's not just a break, it's a change to the internal layups.

The pad is significantly stiffer and more stable.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I'm going over the customizer, stupid question maybe but what's the pinky loop? Is that the stall inside the glove for your finger.....sorry, I'm not sure.

PinkyLoop.png.7e93489b7e9095279be69b6f2e19ffc6.png

It's the two leather things there that form a small loop inside the glove. I wouldn't say it's a stall, per say as it isn't stitched down into the backhand of the glove.

If I understand correctly, it's more of an option to get the 591 to feel a little more traditional as the stock 591 doesn't have the loop.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

PinkyLoop.png.7e93489b7e9095279be69b6f2e19ffc6.png

It's the two leather things there that form a small loop inside the glove. I wouldn't say it's a stall, per say as it isn't stitched down into the glove.

If I understand correctly, it's more of an option to get the 591 to feel a little more traditional as the stock 591 doesn't have the loop.

Thanks man!

Finally got to try an Axis 2 set in store (not just a2.9 this time). The leg pads are definitely my favorite piece of that set followed closely by the glove. Surprisingly I'm not a fan of the blocker specifically the wrist strap. it felt too bulky around the wrist even with the cuff flared. The 591 shape is far better than a standard 590 in my opinion thanks to the deeper palm aka funnel shape compared to the pancake of 590. Not to mention it's already starting to break in wonderfully just from people picking it up and trying it on the retail floor.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Finally got to try an Axis 2 set in store (not just a2.9 this time). The leg pads are definitely my favorite piece of that set followed closely by the glove. Surprisingly I'm not a fan of the blocker specifically the wrist strap. it felt too bulky around the wrist even with the cuff flared. The 591 shape is far better than a standard 590 in my opinion thanks to the deeper palm aka funnel shape compared to the pancake of 590. Not to mention it's already starting to break in wonderfully just from people picking it up and trying it on the retail floor.

For the guys who put on the pads, I did today.  Do you find the new QMSS a little too tight? The upper part of my calves are not what I would call big and still found this to be too tight.  Don't think there is another option there.

6 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

For the guys who put on the pads, I did today.  Do you find the new QMSS a little too tight? The upper part of my calves are not what I would call big and still found this to be too tight.  Don't think there is another option there.

Coming from Warrior, which even at a relatively tight setting is a loose pad. I found nothing bothersome about the Axis 2 strapping. Felt pretty good. 

17 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It felt pretty much perfect for me