TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, Wrbsti15 said:

My store doesn’t have the tools. They don’t stock the skates but can order them so they don’t have all the stuff 

If they can order skates then they can just ask Bauer to send the necessary parts with the shipment.  The shims and toe sleeves literally come in a little packaged bag like you would find off the wall like with mask screws/straps, pad straps, or whatever little accessories they sell.

Picked mine up today - could feel some sore spots pre-baking, and after the bake no problems at all with no shims required either. Comfort wise while wearing these at home and walking around is pretty darned amazing for non broken in skates. I did move my superfeet over from my prior skates for the extra arch support.

Main concern is that as someone who has skinny ankles, the top strap doesn't cinch tight enough for the comfort I'm used to. Would've been nice to be have a few more holes punched to bring it 1-2 stops tighter - if anyone has any tips / thoughts on that I'm all ears.

9 minutes ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Main concern is that as someone who has skinny ankles, the top strap doesn't cinch tight enough for the comfort I'm used to. Would've been nice to be have a few more holes punched to bring it 1-2 stops tighter - if anyone has any tips / thoughts on that I'm all ears.

I plan on trying to punch mine tighter here soon. I’ll let you know how it goes

5 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

I spoke much too soon on my initial impressions. If we were concerned about the buckles and their longevity, this is an immediate concern from Bauer. Not been on the ice once, picked them up about 3 hours ago.

IMG_9435.jpg

skates.jpg

That’s not good 😞😞

17 hours ago, netminder said:

Im a little surpised they didn't go more to this style that gives the user much more dialed in spots to tighten it up without all the intricacies of that metal that split in your pic:

https://www.amazon.ca/Next-Skates-Brown-6-0-7-0-38-39/dp/B08LZV4BC1/ref=sr_1_22?crid=214B0JAE89DMG&keywords=heat+moldable+inline+skates&qid=1660267565&sprefix=heat+moldable+inlone+skates%2Caps%2C60&sr=8-22

It wouldn't surprise me if they thought of it. And it also wouldn't surprise me if they were aware of the rollerblade comparisons that people would bring up and so opted to go with the current system to try to avoid those comparisons.

All of these thoughts, courtesy of My Ass™.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

I spoke much too soon on my initial impressions. If we were concerned about the buckles and their longevity, this is an immediate concern from Bauer. Not been on the ice once, picked them up about 3 hours ago.

IMG_9435.jpg

skates.jpg

Had the same problem at first but haven’t had an issue with it popping out during use. It’s not necessarily a durability problem since nothing broke but definitely an interesting design choice. It’s due to the fact these lower straps use cables with metal ends  compared to the original sample with metal the whole way through the strap. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Had the same problem at first but haven’t had an issue with it popping out during use. It’s not necessarily a durability problem since nothing broke but definitely an interesting design choice. It’s due to the fact these lower straps use cables with metal ends  compared to the original sample with metal the whole way through the strap. 

I tried the same buckle on the other skate and they were very firmly in place, which leads me to believe they may have defects in their process. When I strapped the broken one, if I moved the skate enough it would spring loose unless I had it on the 4th notch which is much too tight for my feet.

My shop has offered to do a straight replacement for a new pair and they've contacted Bauer to let them know about it. You may want to do the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

I tried the same buckle on the other skate and they were very firmly in place, which leads me to believe they may have defects in their process. When I strapped the broken one, if I moved the skate enough it would spring loose unless I had it on the 4th notch which is much too tight for my feet.

My shop has offered to do a straight replacement for a new pair and they've contacted Bauer to let them know about it. You may want to do the same.

I strap super tight so I’m not too concerned. Funny that mine was the right skate too. 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

Picked mine up today - could feel some sore spots pre-baking, and after the bake no problems at all with no shims required either. Comfort wise while wearing these at home and walking around is pretty darned amazing for non broken in skates. I did move my superfeet over from my prior skates for the extra arch support.

I’m in the same boat with my skinny ankles. I’m honestly not sure it’s really necessary (for me at least) to get them tighter than the Small setting, so I’m loathe to try a permanent solution like removing the rivets at the rear connection and punching new holes, but that does seem to be the best option. 

I was thinking of trying to stuff a thick foam pad between the upper strap and the liner tongue first to tighten things down, at least to see if shortening the strap might be worth the effort. 

Edited by Punisher Goalie

14 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I’m in the same boat with my skinny ankles. I’m honestly not sure it’s really necessary (for me at least) to get them tighter than the Small setting, so I’m loathe to try a permanent solution like removing the rivets at the rear connection and punching new holes, but that does seem to be the best option. 

I was thinking of trying to stuff a thick foam pad between the upper strap and the liner tongue first to tighten things down, at least to see if shortening the strap might be worth the effort. 

I tested this out at home using 1/2” thick neoprene foam. Just crudely cut pieces the same width as the strap and the area where the strap contacts the tongue.

Early results are very promising. I have an ice session tonight and will try skating with the foam in. Seems securely held by the strap, but if things go well, I’ll make a wider piece and sew on some nylon webbing to create a “sleeve” to go over the strap. Will report back.

8471D465-7528-456D-9E55-FF533C96C99A.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Just had the same issue with my skate. Used maybe 4 times? 5?signal-2022-08-13-20-33-58-742.thumb.jpg.967111a67b2233b9fa3c242f907a53df.jpg

Very unfortunate. Darn, I was really optimistic about the build quality of all the components, but this is looking like a weak point. I looked at this spot on my skates - looks like the loop end points are attached with some sort of press fit (looking on the edge of that part closest to the buckle, you can see press marks). 

You should definitely go to Bauer and/or your retailer for warranty or replacement parts. In the meantime, as long as it wouldn’t void any warranty, you could use JB Weld or another epoxy to repair it.

14 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I tested this out at home using 1/2” thick neoprene foam. Just crudely cut pieces the same width as the strap and the area where the strap contacts the tongue.

Early results are very promising. I have an ice session tonight and will try skating with the foam in. Seems securely held by the strap, but if things go well, I’ll make a wider piece and sew on some nylon webbing to create a “sleeve” to go over the strap. Will report back.

8471D465-7528-456D-9E55-FF533C96C99A.jpeg

How'd you find it with the foam? I'm on the ice tomorrow for the first time after my shop replaced the skates for me due to the clip issue.

I'm coming from Bauer 2S Pro skates and with how skinny my ankles are, I got into the habit of lightly taping them with sock tape to my ankles and didn't notice it hindering mobility. Debating doing the same with these, as the ankle simply doesn't ratchet tight enough for my liking. It's not a leg strength issue, I just have twig legs.

7 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

How'd you find it with the foam? I'm on the ice tomorrow for the first time after my shop replaced the skates for me due to the clip issue.

I'm coming from Bauer 2S Pro skates and with how skinny my ankles are, I got into the habit of lightly taping them with sock tape to my ankles and didn't notice it hindering mobility. Debating doing the same with these, as the ankle simply doesn't ratchet tight enough for my liking. It's not a leg strength issue, I just have twig legs.

I’m still waiting for the ones I ordered on august 4th. Not sure that’s taking so long. 

10 hours ago, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

The foam worked perfectly. I am now comfortably locked in around the ankle and the hinge is engaging as intended.

The foam stayed in place with no movement for a 1.5 hour session, so it is probably not necessary but I’m going to look for a way to more permanently attach it. I still think the sleeve idea is probably the best bet.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

On 8/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I plan on trying to punch mine tighter here soon. I’ll let you know how it goes

While grateful to have avoided having cankles... my ankles are also on the slim side. That said as @ThatCarGuy pointed out you may be able to punch another hole if you're already on the tightest possible setting. However, my only concern with doing so is whether will I be making the top piece tighter than it "should be" and prohibiting the upper piece from being able to articulate on the hinge fully. Likely doubtful... but I'm giving the skates a few more weeks of break-in before I decide whether or not to give it a whirl.

image.thumb.png.cfb9f82dea29f1192e545ac1da454848.png

On 8/13/2022 at 10:35 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Just had the same issue with my skate. Used maybe 4 times? 5?signal-2022-08-13-20-33-58-742.thumb.jpg.967111a67b2233b9fa3c242f907a53df.jpg

I'm not sure how stiff that strap is, but I wonder if you could take the very tip of that strap end, and bend another 90 into it make a hook. Might be hard to get it back in, but that could keep it from popping out all the way.

Is that piece hollow or is it machined with a hole? If it's just a machine hole, I wonder if you could drip some JB weld in there for a more permanent hold? Obviously there's a flaw in the design, but I bet someone could figure out something to give it a little extra hold.

Skated in my Konekt only twice now... and thus far...

I feel really dumb for not putting 1 and 1 together on the naming of the skate. With almost no negative space, it feels like part of your foot... connected. My first steps on the ice with them were hard to describe, but it just felt like my foot had runners on them. Every flex of my ankle and foot translated into something on the ice. 

All the guys in the locker room made the obvious "I had rollerblades like that." or "Hey, you picked up some Langes." (only from the real old guys.) They all focused on the reduced time to get ready... and while that's true... the on-ice performance is something I'm still trying to accurately describe. My pushes and recoveries feel so much more natural because my foot really is connected to the ice. Forward flex is of course fantastic... but lateral movements are crisper and you get so much more feedback through the skate. 

The best comparison I can think of is to steering feedback in a car. A modern composite skate with traditional lacing can feel like a race car on your feet... sure you get the feel of the road but maybe too harsh at times. Older skates with a big cowling are like the floaty SUV where sure it goes where you want but you never really feel what's going on... there's a disconnect in feel from all of the softened connection points between you and the ice. The combination of the composite shell and more importantly IMO the liner with Konekt give you that perfect balance... in car terms steering feel that few beyond Porsche have ever been able to create. Dampened from harshness... but incredible feedback that lets you move like never before and with the confidence to push the limits and feel when you're at that limit before going past it. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/13/2022 at 9:58 PM, Wrbsti15 said:

This def worries me of these break like this then what do you do if you don’t have another pair of skates. Can it be popped back in or is that bucket toast? 

I can pop it back in, but it can easily pop back out. When reinserting, it doesn't feel like it snaps into a slot or anything, so I'm not sure it'll hold up when re-attached to the rack.

17 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I'm not sure how stiff that strap is, but I wonder if you could take the very tip of that strap end, and bend another 90 into it make a hook. Might be hard to get it back in, but that could keep it from popping out all the way.

Is that piece hollow or is it machined with a hole? If it's just a machine hole, I wonder if you could drip some JB weld in there for a more permanent hold? Obviously there's a flaw in the design, but I bet someone could figure out something to give it a little extra hold.

Didn't take a close look inside as I saw it after a back to back game so I was pooped. I suspect I'll have to go with JB Weld or some similar epoxy to fix it.

16 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Skated in my Konekt only twice now... and thus far...

[...]

All the guys in the locker room made the obvious "I had rollerblades like that." or "Hey, you picked up some Langes." (only from the real old guys.) They all focused on the reduced time to get ready... and while that's true... the on-ice performance is something I'm still trying to accurately describe. My pushes and recoveries feel so much more natural because my foot really is connected to the ice. Forward flex is of course fantastic... but lateral movements are crisper and you get so much more feedback through the skate. 

The best comparison I can think of is to steering feedback in a car. A modern composite skate with traditional lacing can feel like a race car on your feet... sure you get the feel of the road but maybe too harsh at times. Older skates with a big cowling are like the floaty SUV where sure it goes where you want but you never really feel what's going on... there's a disconnect in feel from all of the softened connection points between you and the ice. The combination of the composite shell and more importantly IMO the liner with Konekt give you that perfect balance that few beyond Porsche have ever been able to create. Dampened from harshness... but incredible feedback that lets you move like never before and with the confidence to push the limits and feel when you're at that limit before going past it. 

Well said. I echo the thoughts on everything feeling more natural.