TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The shims will create more space rather than eliminate space.

Exactly. I have wicked "Bauer" bumps, but the liner adjusted for me just fine. There was a thought we might need a second back with the shims. Didn't need it

12 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

My pair from Pure came in yesterday. I ordered early AM on Friday. Sounds like they realized they weren’t supposed to be selling these online later in the day… Either way I’m planning to go to my local Pure for baking.

I have made no secret of the fact that I am a super fanboy of these skates ever since the first glimpses appeared online. That said, my initial first impressions out of the box were beyond even my own inflated expectations. 

For anyone comparing these to cheap 90’s roller blades or whatever, forget it. You will drop that argument the instant you hold these skates in your hands. These boots are not cheap plastic. These buckles are not cheap or fragile. Live and in person, everything about these skates conveys a high quality, durable build. 

Even though I know these absolutely must be baked, I couldn’t resist trying them on for a “dry fit”. Even unbaked, (for my feet at least) they already feel more comfortable with less negative space than custom VHs I’ve had previously. I have only one slight concern for my own fit - my ankles are very skinny and I’m worried, even on the smallest setting, about getting the top strap as locked down as possible. Even as-is I can get them as tight or tighter on the ankle as my current CCM FT2, so anything beyond that will be a bonus.

Looking forward to getting them baked this week. 

After watching the YT video of the interview with Bauer's goalie skate guy, I went and tracked down all their technology suppliers that he mentioned. Ultralon has been around for decades and had huge success in the ski boot market, but also sells lots of specialized foams for many other uses. The buckles are from Gudo, and you can find them on some of the highest end ski boots on the market. They produce buckles for other manufacturers to brand label as well. For something that's "brand new" and "untested" they sure roped in a lot of the best and most experienced outside engineering and manufacturing.

I tried them on Saturday at the local Bauer Experience shop, really neat product and wish I had the cash to buy and try them.  

For those saying that they can't get the top strap tight enough I was talking to the Iowa Wild equipment manager about these earlier this year when I was doing some Black Aces skates.  He said Zane had his rivets popped out and they punched new holes on the strap so he could wrench it down more.  I'm not sure what that would do to the warranty or if the plastics aren't meant to be pulled beyond a certain point but he didn't say that it damaged them in any way. 

I also just finished listening to that InGoal podcast with Charlie Lindgren and it sounds like he got some toe stingers.  Their solution might be to upsize him for that issue, I feel like the true toe caps are larger and I know they used to put a foam pad on the tip.  I dont think that's the solution for these as that might bunch up the liner.  I guess I can be thankful I'm between an 8 and a 9 and that would probably make a 9 perfect. 

Edited by WONGER
added info

Anybody with really wide feet try these out yet? I read they should work up to EEE width, but just wondering if anybody who usually has issues with wide retail skates has tried them. Currently in a pair of custom Trues and I'm definitely interested in trying these out.

9 minutes ago, tgfoo said:

Anybody with really wide feet try these out yet? I read they should work up to EEE width, but just wondering if anybody who usually has issues with wide retail skates has tried them. Currently in a pair of custom Trues and I'm definitely interested in trying these out.

If the manufacturer says they can fit, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go try them on yourself to see. This is one of those things where what works for others may not work for you and vice versa. You can only really know if you try them on.

27 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

If the manufacturer says they can fit, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go try them on yourself to see. This is one of those things where what works for others may not work for you and vice versa. You can only really know if you try them on.

Trying them on will not tell you if they'll form to your feet well or not.  The 8's that I could usually stand to be in with other Bauer skates felt awful unbaked.  I would either talk directly to a Bauer rep at length or wait till you know someone else with as wide of feet as you to confirm they can be shaped that wide. 

14 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Pure Hockey website now says they must be purchased in store.  Also no 11's shown, I'm a 10.5 on one foot and 11 on the other according to my CCM scan and wear an 11 off the shelf.  Closest store that has any in stock is in New Jersey 🤮

Call Pure. Based on experience with other items, they should be able to easily have the 11s transferred to your local store.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Call Pure. Based on experience with other items, they should be able to easily have the 11s transferred to your local store.

I'll give that a try, when I called my local store last week they didn't seem to have a clue about them, so hopefully they're at least getting all the hardware to bake and such.

2 hours ago, WONGER said:

Trying them on will not tell you if they'll form to your feet well or not.  The 8's that I could usually stand to be in with other Bauer skates felt awful unbaked.  I would either talk directly to a Bauer rep at length or wait till you know someone else with as wide of feet as you to confirm they can be shaped that wide. 

Aren't the stores supposed to let you try them on baked with sample liners?

3 hours ago, WONGER said:

They're supposed to feel awful unbaked.  Even the True TF9's feel like garbage until you bake them - people are seriously underestimating how moldable skates are nowadays.

2 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Aren't the stores supposed to let you try them on baked with sample liners?

They werent offering that when I was in the shop the other day. I'm guessing they're all going to sell fast so I doubt they want to take away from any potential sales. 

9 hours ago, tgfoo said:

Yes. I’m a EE and am always concerned about width fit. These are great. No issues   

In fact, I would bet very few people are going to have a fit issue.  This heating process and liners are great. 

ive had one skate in mine and they are incredible.  V-Slide pushes are noticeably more powerful, you can recover from the V back to stance easier, and you can get a very deep stance. 

Plus these are the most comfortable skates you’ll ever wear.  No more lace bite, no more Bauer bump. 

These skates absolutely live up to the hype. 

Edited by MrGoalie
More info
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MrGoalie said:

Yes. I’m a EE and am always concerned about width fit. These are great. No issues   

In fact, I would bet very few people are going to have a fit issue.  This heating process and liners are great. 

ive had one skate in mine and they are incredible.  V-Slide pushes are noticeably more powerful, you can recover from the V back to stance easier, and you can get a very deep stance. 

Plus these are the most comfortable skates you’ll ever wear.  No more lace bite, no more Bauer bump. 

These skates absolutely live up to the hype. 

How are your arches? I feel like my TF9's formed well around my odd arches, curious how these form. 

1 hour ago, WONGER said:

I'm more worried about low ones with a bump in them.  Heel lock is solid? 

Everything is solid.  The molding process is like nothing you’ve been thru before. Plus, you have the liners which also get molded.  There is very little negative space in these skates. They are extremely comfortable.  

I tried an unbaked pair on Sunday

I scanned into a 7, shop brought out the last size 7 they had

Could barely squeeze into the boot and my toes were cramped

Then we realized there was some packing material in the toe of the bootie. lol

Biggest issue for me may be my instep height, I'm gonna marinate on these for the time being

6 hours ago, MrGoalie said:

Everything is solid.  The molding process is like nothing you’ve been thru before. Plus, you have the liners which also get molded.  There is very little negative space in these skates. They are extremely comfortable.  

So little negative space in fact that’s that’s why the toe sleeves exist. They’re used to generate space in the skate for your toes so you won’t be too cramped

The toes seemed to have plenty of space for me where past bauer skates didnt. I actually drove to the shop and almost pulled the trigger today but I was a bit worried about how much the instep would shape.  I have bumps on my arches that felt like they'd need that shell to really move when baked.  I trust its possible but at $960 usd after tax I'm going to wait till I hear/see more.