TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

18 hours ago, MrGoalie said:

I just used the insoles that came with the skate.   I don’t think you’ll need super feet - the fit is incredible. 

I have had my feet scanned with Aetrex Albert scanner. I am in the 90 and 95% percentile for arch height. One foot is higher than the other.

The boot hugs your arches like I have never felt. I know everyone's feet are different, but I would be shocked if you need insoles on top of Konekt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dumb question for those of you that have yours already:

i see in teh setup video you put the liner on and then put the out skate shell on.

but…. Once it is baked, does the liner stay in the skate shell during normal on and off for rink time?  Or is it always liner on then skate shell on?  Skate off then liner off and sits in the bag in two pieces?

thanks

25 minutes ago, Jeffgtx said:

Dumb question for those of you that have yours already:

i see in teh setup video you put the liner on and then put the out skate shell on.

but…. Once it is baked, does the liner stay in the skate shell during normal on and off for rink time?  Or is it always liner on then skate shell on?  Skate off then liner off and sits in the bag in two pieces?

thanks

You can do whatever. I just leave the liner in the skate and put it on like a traditional skate.

I'm expecting to give these a fitting on Monday.  I'm curious about insoles - I have collapsed arches and currently use a Ccm performance insole in custom Trues (I've tried about 3-4 different ones including various superfeet) and this is the only one that doesn't give my arches cramps. Should I fit with the stock insole first then make adjustments after, or start with the insole that works for me right now? 

@Neomop to reiterate what I mentioned above - I don't believe the intent with these are to supplement the liner using any kind of inserts. The idea is that your foot goes in the liner with it getting molded to your foot. Think more like casting your foot.

For anyone that's asked I don't think the idea is that you throw an insert into the mix: foot, liner, boot with both the liner and boot molded to your foot. Hope this helps.

Edited by chile57

Do any of you retail employees and insiders have any info from Bauer on the minimum baking/molding temperature on these?

The reason I ask is that I use a heated boot dryer to dry my skates and gloves after every session. Given how crazy moldable these skates are I’m worried about putting my pair on the dryer. Anyone have solid information? 

I was thinking one option might be to dry the liners only, but they are moldable too so I want to be cautious. 

22 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Do any of you retail employees and insiders have any info from Bauer on the minimum baking/molding temperature on these?

The reason I ask is that I use a heated boot dryer to dry my skates and gloves after every session. Given how crazy moldable these skates are I’m worried about putting my pair on the dryer. Anyone have solid information? 

I was thinking one option might be to dry the liners only, but they are moldable too so I want to be cautious. 

I live in Texas and my skates stay in a barely insulated garage with no ac or fan without issue. You should be fine lol

19 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

For those wondering about instep problems I fitted two pairs of konekts today for proper fit 3 users and had no issues. These were people that completely filled out the fit 3 depth and then some. 

how about flatter arches? 

I’ll give my first skate review for what it’s worth. 

I posted previously about being concerned about the snug fit. I wear a 12.5 Nike and was fit into a 10 by the Bauer Computer.  I went through the whole baking process at the store. They felt tight, but not uncomfortable. 

At home I wore them for a bit and the usual spots started to rub from my previous Bauer skates. I rebaked using some of the foam shims (not the official Bauer ones at the store, but basically the same thing). It helped for sure when I put them on the next day. 

I was finally able to get them on the ice yesterday. For some reason they felt loose when I got my pads on at the ankle. I went to the tightest setting on the ankle and they felt fine, though I might want them tighter in the future (not sure how I’ll do that). Also, I found I was most comfortable at a loose setting on the boot.

On the ice the first thing I noticed was that they were wayyy too sharp. I usually do 3/8 Flat bottom V and realized I forgot the FBV part when they asked.  They also might feel sharper since you have more blade on the ice due to the ankle flex. 

As for performance, they really are something. The freedom of movement on butterfly pushes is something to experience.  Instantly, I could feel more in control as if everything just happened quicker and with less effort.  Smaller movements around the post felt easier.  Overall, it was like playing with less resistance in key spots.  This will take time to get used to. At times it did feel awkward because I encountered less resistance than usual and had some balance issues. A few times when butterflying I fell forward a bit since I was used to having some resistance that just wasn’t there anymore. I can see why a pro might try these and not want to switch mid season.  I expect many pros will be in these next year. 

As for comfort, I did start to have issues in the same spot below my ankle that I usually get in Bauer skates.  They didn’t blister, but another 20 minutes on the ice and they would have.  I probably need to rebake again and really focus on that spot. I did feel my toes at the end of the boot as well. I wish the skates were slightly bigger there. I may try to rebake with my own toe sleeve like they had at the store to see if I can open that area up a bit.  I did take a shot off the toe cap and felt nothing.    

Overall I’m happy with the skates. I think the TGN post that mentioned that they fixed a problem they didn’t know they had is pretty accurate statement.  For me, they do things no other goalie skate has ever done and will certainly help my game. 

• Like 2

Stopped in my local Pure Hockey and got my feet scanned.  I’m an 11 in Konekts- the only size they can’t currently order for some reason.  Their site shows every size except 11.  The manager said he can’t order it if it doesn’t show available on their site, so I’ll have to wait till 11’s show up on the website and they can order 11’s for me to the store.  :(

Went to my local pure hockey and picked up a pair this week.  They had all sizes in stock at the time but only seemed to have one pair in each size.  Im coming from a pair of custom bauer 2S skates.  Retail size off the scanner is an 8.5 EE (fit 3 is not wide enough) but my customs are something like a size 8EEEE (the bar for width is pegged to the far right on the scan).  Was worried that the size 8 would fit me since they did tell me that some guys with wider feet do have issues with pressure around the lower buckle.  Tried both the 9 and 8 but decided on the 8 since I really dont like having that extra room in the tow.

So far only one skate in them, fit is decent, will have to see how they feel after a couple skates but I still have pressure and some soreness on parts of my foot after one skate.  Edge bite while down is better than anything ive ever used.  That being said Im going to have to get used to these/play around with profiling.  When Im in my stance/shuffling they feel like they dig into the ice too much/too sharp eventhough Im using the same profile and 5/8 cut I had on my 2Ss.

Will see how they go for my next skate tonight

Got my Konekts last week and used them for 2 skates the same day I baked them.  There was some pressure in a couple of spots for sure.  I used them again yesterday after swapping the insoles back to my superfeet and they felt really good. 

Thought I would share some thoughts after a few skates:

• Easy on/easy off is such a dream come true. Obviously, each of us will value this differently, but I am a very happy camper indeed.
  • I echo previous posts about movement and feel on the ice. These are significantly different than anything on the market. There will be folks who like the forward flex and those who don’t. I have always used a Scrivens-style lacing pattern and skipped the top two eyelets, so I am a fan of forward flex.
  • As much as I love the buckles, I have two discreet complaints (both of which I think/hope could be addressed in a future release): 1. The micro adjustment on the “loop” side is achieved by twisting the loop. There should be a way to lock this setting in place (maybe a set screw?) once it is set. The problem is with taking them on an off that piece can get jostled around and twist out of its setting. And 2. Related to #1, the loops actually have “correct” orientation, which is indicated by the little green arrow that is supposed to face out. If the loop is twisted upside down, it won’t attach properly. Not huge issues, but minor frustrations considering the convenience the buckles provide.
  • The shells are bulletproof. Took two hard shots off the toe (both on the same foot) last night and felt absolutely nothing.
  • If you wear no socks like me, the liner is a treat. Super comfortable. Time will tell if the texture of the material changes.

7 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thought I would share some thoughts after a few skates:

• As much as I love the buckles, I have two discreet complaints (both of which I think/hope could be addressed in a future release): 1. The micro adjustment on the “loop” side is achieved by twisting the loop. There should be a way to lock this setting in place (maybe a set screw?) once it is set. The problem is with taking them on an off that piece can get jostled around and twist out of its setting. And 2. Related to #1, the loops actually have “correct” orientation, which is indicated by the little green arrow that is supposed to face out. If the loop is twisted upside down, it won’t attach properly. Not huge issues, but minor frustrations considering the convenience the buckles provide.

2 thoughts:

1. I think if you clip the buckles back on the second you take them off, you will ensure that you minimize the number of chances to lose the position

2. I have definitely had them twist on me, but I feel like I notice instantly? You will be surprised how quickly you get used to the feel. I twist them one way looser and they feel perfect again

• Like 1