TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thought I would share some thoughts after a few skates:

• As much as I love the buckles, I have two discreet complaints (both of which I think/hope could be addressed in a future release): 1. The micro adjustment on the “loop” side is achieved by twisting the loop. There should be a way to lock this setting in place (maybe a set screw?) once it is set. The problem is with taking them on an off that piece can get jostled around and twist out of its setting. And 2. Related to #1, the loops actually have “correct” orientation, which is indicated by the little green arrow that is supposed to face out. If the loop is twisted upside down, it won’t attach properly. Not huge issues, but minor frustrations considering the convenience the buckles provide.
  • The shells are bulletproof. Took two hard shots off the toe (both on the same foot) last night and felt absolutely nothing.

I agree that the loops need some work. Easy for them to get spun around and tweak your preferred setting.

Also, I've got a really high instep, so if I have the bottom loop on the loosest setting and connected to the loosest/closest rack setting, I have issues with the loop falling off the rack during play. So I have to make it a little tighter and just suck up the slight pain.

Also having some issue with that bottom rack shifting a little - it likes to rotate a little left and right. Not sure if it did that out of the box.

I've also taking some pucks off the toe and don't feel anything. The padding in the toe of the liner makes a big difference, I think.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Generally speaking, it seems like everyone is amazed or satisfied with the performance?

As to be expected, we have some "unusual" feet and people are still dialing in the fit? But these are feet that don't fit perfectly into stock skates to begin with?

Yes, yes and yes. Performance is excellent. Still dialing in the right foot. Rebaked them with the instep shims and that seems to be okay now (not perfect), but had some rubbing on the inner ankle bone. Never fit into a stock Bauer previously. But I'm happy enough to be ready to sell my True customs.

On 8/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Its all in how you sharpen them the steel type doesn’t have much to do with it

I feel like it's more nuanced than that. If you suddenly switch to a blade that harder and has a coating that keeps your edges longer, then they dull much slower. So in that sense the same cut on harder coated steel will feel sharper over the same period of time than cheaper softer steel would. I believe Tydan (or Goalie Parts) used to make a note about this on the product pages. 

12 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I feel like it's more nuanced than that. If you suddenly switch to a blade that harder and has a coating that keeps your edges longer, then they dull much slower. So in that sense the same cut on harder coated steel will feel sharper over the same period of time than cheaper softer steel would. I believe Tydan (or Goalie Parts) used to make a note about this on the product pages. 

Is that why the recommended profile and hollow recommended after the Tydan Blade assessment feels too dull? I followed the asessment and got my blades profiled with a Goalie SAM, but 5/8 was way too dull (I use the LS- 5G+ blades on the Bauer Elite skates). I use 3/8 on my goalie skates, by the way. 

Maybe harder blades don't need to be sharpened as much and to such a deep hollow, because their properties allow them to be sharper for a longer time. 

11 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Is that why the recommended profile and hollow recommended after the Tydan Blade assessment feels too dull? I followed the asessment and got my blades profiled with a Goalie SAM, but 5/8 was way too dull (I use the LS- 5G+ blades on the Bauer Elite skates). I use 3/8 on my goalie skates, by the way. 

Maybe harder blades don't need to be sharpened as much and to such a deep hollow, because their properties allow them to be sharper for a longer time. 

I don't know anything about that assessment, but I just assume it's not the right sharpening for you. The steel type won't cause that much of a difference and may not require any changes at all. If you're used to 3/8, 5/8 is going to feel dull no matter what. It comes down to personal preference.

So, the only difference with harder blades is that they dull more slowly? That's good to know.

I would love to buy a pair of Bauer Konekts eventually, but I don't yet have the cash to spring for a pair. I'll be interested to hear what happens with the Konnekt 2.0, 3.0, or other future releases. 

the added ankle mobility is awesome.  took a few minutes to get used to just because you are so used to a certain level of pushback when trying to make certain movements.

If anyone is curious, I mounted the holders from my True custom skates and there is a tiny bit of overhang at the front of the skate(size 8 ) due to there being more plastic on the True than the Bauer has.

4 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

So, the only difference with harder blades is that they dull more slowly? That's good to know.

I would love to buy a pair of Bauer Konekts eventually, but I don't yet have the cash to spring for a pair. I'll be interested to hear what happens with the Konnekt 2.0, 3.0, or other future releases. 

Not the only difference. Harder steel can take a finer edge; if you go with something like a 3/8 or 1/2 hollow, your blade might actually be sharper than it would with some crap recycled stuff.

First skate today 

To start I’m normally use 7.5 fit 3 bauer

konect the size 8-8.5 was my perfect size 

the angle with the skate is fantastic I feel I’m more than ever ready for the shot I’m ready to attack the play I really like that. 

i don’t know if it the ice or in my head but I feel to connect more with the ice and win ton of power 

At store the skate was perfectly fit it’s was incredible. Today on ice I feel lot of pain. It’s was like the skate in store was a fit 3 and at my game they come back at a fit 2. The guys at store already tell me I can come back anytime to bake them a second time but I don’t know if you experience something similar 

i play tomorrow and Friday so I will wait until my games before going bake them again 

21 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

It will stay sharp longer on better steel yes. But 3/8s is 3/8s no matter what its cut into

On 8/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, Yzueblin said:

First skate today 

To start I’m normally use 7.5 fit 3 bauer

konect the size 8-8.5 was my perfect size 

the angle with the skate is fantastic I feel I’m more than ever ready for the shot I’m ready to attack the play I really like that. 

i don’t know if it the ice or in my head but I feel to connect more with the ice and win ton of power 

At store the skate was perfectly fit it’s was incredible. Today on ice I feel lot of pain. It’s was like the skate in store was a fit 3 and at my game they come back at a fit 2. The guys at store already tell me I can come back anytime to bake them a second time but I don’t know if you experience something similar 

i play tomorrow and Friday so I will wait until my games before going bake them again 

Try giving it a couple more skates.  Mine felt really tight and had pressure spots the first time out.  2nd time out was much better and 3rd time out I had no pain at all.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Generally speaking, it seems like everyone is amazed or satisfied with the performance?

As to be expected, we have some "unusual" feet and people are still dialing in the fit? But these are feet that don't fit perfectly into stock skates to begin with?

I have one of those odd feet that has never fit well into any non custom feet. 

I was worried I couldnt get a good fit but so far am suprised by how well a these feel on my feet

14 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

It will stay sharp longer on better steel yes. But 3/8s is 3/8s no matter what its cut into

Ask anyone who works with knives, not all steel is created equal, and not all hollows are created equal if your sharpener knows what they're doing; harder steel can take a finer edge, even if the hollow is exactly the same.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Ask anyone who works with knives, not all steel is created equal, and not all hollows are created equal if your sharpener knows what they're doing; harder steel can take a finer edge, even if the hollow is exactly the same.

I get what you’re saying but I’ve sharpened thousands of skates and many people have 2 or 3 sets of different steel types and say they all feel the same. Just my experience

Have heard from an anonymous pro goalie (ahl) that he believes the cons outweigh the pros of them. He said he believed they took away from some energy transfer when on ice sliding from one point to another. Had to push down a little bit more due to the ankle flex in order to get the same push causing a slight delay in the pushes and slower overall. I wonder what other peoples thoughts are on this. I personally have only tried them on unbaked and never wore them on ice. 

12 minutes ago, David Myers said:

Have heard from an anonymous pro goalie (ahl) that he believes the cons outweigh the pros of them. He said he believed they took away from some energy transfer when on ice sliding from one point to another. Had to push down a little bit more due to the ankle flex in order to get the same push causing a slight delay in the pushes and slower overall. I wonder what other peoples thoughts are on this. I personally have only tried them on unbaked and never wore them on ice. 

I disagree. Having that “spring” in the back of the skate makes my pushes feel even better than the trues

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 5:06 PM, TheGoalNet said:

The shell is thermomoldable too. Like @ThatCarGuy the retailers should be coached in all sorts tricks to widen the toe box of the outer shell.

Skates also come with a pack of pad things  to help stretch the boot

Do the skates each come with the shims and toe expansion or does the dealer just have it with their fitting kit?