1S Knee Block re-installation

Mroy31

So I don't have pictures of this right now, just floating out an idea to get some feedback.

I put Monster knee blocks on my 1S pads, documented in another thread.  I haven't had any issues with them but I've always kind of disliked that the re-lacing of the knee block wasn't as solid as the original build, since the laces actually go through the pad itself and re-doing that would require removing binding and pad face etc.

My current solution is just to lace through the leather strip on the outside of the pad, basically a skin level re-lacing.  My idea is to use something like plastic anchors and screws (maybe also plastic screws? Is that a thing?) to plug into the pad, then screw the leather tab on the knee blocks flush to the pad.

Is this a terrible idea?  Too risky for something that's not really broke?

To clarify, I'm talking about keeping the Monster blocks, just redoing the lacing.  Here's the post where I put them in: http://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/304-bauer-1s-project/?do=findComment&comment=7196

In the first picture you can see a length of lace going out to the right, that's part of the extra slack you get once you pull the laces out from being strung through the internals of the pad.

@Punisher Goalie It shouldn't, and doesn't really. It's really my paranoia because that inside padded flap is also stitched in by me :P. 

What I'll most likely end up doing is re stitching those flaps. In hindsight, I should have separated the blocks from the flaps and put them in separately, but I tried to use the supplied lace holes and the stitching is super awkward with the block there. 

8 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

To clarify, I'm talking about keeping the Monster blocks, just redoing the lacing.  Here's the post where I put them in: http://www.thegoalnet.com/forums/topic/304-bauer-1s-project/?do=findComment&comment=7196

In the first picture you can see a length of lace going out to the right, that's part of the extra slack you get once you pull the laces out from being strung through the internals of the pad.

Can you snap a pic of the pad minus the knee block?  Maybe I can make a suggestion off that.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

If I am understanding this correctly... 

Yes, the lacing adds function. It connects the knee block to the pad better. It will drive your knee to ice for seal and better energy transfer during slides. Basically a more connected pad. 

That is pretty much my intention with trying to get it laced more securely. The stock knee block lacing doesn't really do much though, there's so much extra material between where the lace attaches to the pad and the knee block itself that it really is only being held in place by the flaps on either side. 

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Can you snap a pic of the pad minus the knee block?  Maybe I can make a suggestion off that.

It's a little annoying to take out, so if I don't play Thursday I'll snap a pic. 

In the meantime, I'll try to describe it, it's basically a strip of Jenpro (or stiffer material) with 6 holes in it that is stitched onto the surface of the back of the pad.  Each one having a hole right into the pad where the original lace was run through. 

Right now I just have the lace running through the holes in the leather strip and between the strip and the backing material instead of actually down into the foam. 

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

If I am understanding this correctly... 

Yes, the lacing adds function. It connects the knee block to the pad better. It will drive your knee to ice for seal and better energy transfer during slides. Basically a more connected pad. 

Ah ok I was having trouble seeing it but that explanation makes sense. 

16 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

It's a little annoying to take out, so if I don't play Thursday I'll snap a pic. 

In the meantime, I'll try to describe it, it's basically a strip of Jenpro (or stiffer material) with 6 holes in it that is stitched onto the surface of the back of the pad.  Each one having a hole right into the pad where the original lace was run through. 

Right now I just have the lace running through the holes in the leather strip and between the strip and the backing material instead of actually down into the foam. 

I think I understand now.

The knee block is attached to the lace and the lace is attached to the pad via the leather strip with the holes punched in it. Sound correct?

I'm not sure if stitching the knee block in will be a huge benefit.  You do get a bit of flexibility with the knee block as it is now. 

I think the flexibility in the knee block and wing is important - as you are driving your knees down, the blocks can extend downwards and give a bit of extra coverage.

34 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I think I understand now.

The knee block is attached to the lace and the lace is attached to the pad via the leather strip with the holes punched in it. Sound correct?

I'm not sure if stitching the knee block in will be a huge benefit.  You do get a bit of flexibility with the knee block as it is now. 

I think the flexibility in the knee block and wing is important - as you are driving your knees down, the blocks can extend downwards and give a bit of extra coverage.

Yeah that's pretty much it.  I think it's mostly paranoia, like I said, it's not like I'm thinking of this because they don't function or are coming apart or anything.

I might still separate the knee side flap from the block and re-stitch that because I couldn't get it quite as snug to the pad as I wanted with the first approach, but I'll pass on the actual block lacing.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31 - My 1S pads were made in Canada. They had a lace in knee block. It was still a bad design and I added Monsters, but mine was laced in. 

Were they laced in the same way I described, all the way through the pad?  Did you lace the Monsters in as well?  (Mine were offshore)

Archived