Bauer Supreme M5 Pro Pads

AnotherRandomGoalie

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

That's good to know. If the Supremes both slide better and have harder rebounds than Vapors, I'll use Supremes. 

Please note that I am talking about the first generation Supreme and the second generation Vapor. Those are the ones I owned. on the second generation Bauer skinned to cortech.skin.st. and the gliding of this iteration of the skin was worse than that of the first. I can’t say that Vapors, as another line of pads in itself, glides a priori worse than the Supreme line

4 hours ago, ser33 said:

Please note that I am talking about the first generation Supreme and the second generation Vapor. Those are the ones I owned. on the second generation Bauer skinned to cortech.skin.st. and the gliding of this iteration of the skin was worse than that of the first. I can’t say that Vapors, as another line of pads in itself, glides a priori worse than the Supreme line

I noticed. Sliding was a lot easier on my 1S Od1n pads than on my 2S Pros. 

• 5 months later...

For you guys with the M5's how are they for durability and anyone have the matching gloves? might be pivoting from Brians to Bauer. I know the durability and craftsmanship wont be nearly the same but its hard to justify spending 2500+ on pads when i play mid to lower level beer league maybe 2 times a week. Trust me I want to spend that but the rational side of me is overtaking.

I've always been leery of Bauer since there has been some durability issues but that was some time ago. I've been reading some good reviews of the m5's and seeing that I'm looking or a stiffer pad they might be in my wheel house. I'm currently in warrior G5 pros and are softening up a little bit.

My main concerns are durability, can I get 2/3 years out of the pads with the same schedule of 1/2 games a week? I'm also worrying about the m5 glove protection. I've only used pro palm Simmons gloves and pro warrior gloves. I'm not facing super hard shots but a couple guys play down in our league and can shoot it. I've yet to have a stinger in my warrior but have not taken a hard shot into the palm always the pocket. I've thought about getting M5 blocker/pads and a Mach glove, but if the protection is ok on the M5 glove i can get both gloves for the price of just the Mach glove.

On 2/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, xmikex32 said:

For you guys with the M5's how are they for durability and anyone have the matching gloves? might be pivoting from Brians to Bauer. I know the durability and craftsmanship wont be nearly the same but its hard to justify spending 2500+ on pads when i play mid to lower level beer league maybe 2 times a week. Trust me I want to spend that but the rational side of me is overtaking.

I've always been leery of Bauer since there has been some durability issues but that was some time ago. I've been reading some good reviews of the m5's and seeing that I'm looking or a stiffer pad they might be in my wheel house. I'm currently in warrior G5 pros and are softening up a little bit.

My main concerns are durability, can I get 2/3 years out of the pads with the same schedule of 1/2 games a week? I'm also worrying about the m5 glove protection. I've only used pro palm Simmons gloves and pro warrior gloves. I'm not facing super hard shots but a couple guys play down in our league and can shoot it. I've yet to have a stinger in my warrior but have not taken a hard shot into the palm always the pocket. I've thought about getting M5 blocker/pads and a Mach glove, but if the protection is ok on the M5 glove i can get both gloves for the price of just the Mach glove.

I've been using the M5's for a couple months now and the durability seems to be pretty good. The material on the face of the pad (I'm not exactly sure what it's called) appears slightly dented looking after taking shots from pucks but, no real damage is done to the pads and it appears a similar thing happens with the Machs. To give you an idea of my schedule, I play A level travel hockey and practice 2-3 times a week with an average of 1-2 games on weekends, and no significant damage has been done to the pads at all in the time I've used them. I have the matching glove (I have yet to have a stinger in the glove) and blocker as well and they seem to have the type of build quality you'd expect from a second price point Bauer pad. I have no idea if the set will hold up long term but, as of now I can't see any reason I would need to switch due to durability issues.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 7:10 PM, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

I've been using the M5's for a couple months now and the durability seems to be pretty good. The material on the face of the pad (I'm not exactly sure what it's called) appears slightly dented looking after taking shots from pucks but, no real damage is done to the pads and it appears a similar thing happens with the Machs. To give you an idea of my schedule, I play A level travel hockey and practice 2-3 times a week with an average of 1-2 games on weekends, and no significant damage has been done to the pads at all in the time I've used them. I have the matching glove (I have yet to have a stinger in the glove) and blocker as well and they seem to have the type of build quality you'd expect from a second price point Bauer pad. I have no idea if the set will hold up long term but, as of now I can't see any reason I would need to switch due to durability issues.

Have any issues with the blocker edge wearing out quickly? i use paddle down often and seem to always get wear on the edge of the blocker. I'm mostly wondering if i should spring for the extra cash and get a  mach blocker and glove. I tried on the M5 gloves and they felt good but side by side with the mach i could see and feel a little bit of difference in the material they used. The M5 glove closed nicely off the shelf and didn't fell too thin. In the past ive always thought a blocker is a blocker and haven't really paid that much attention to them.

8 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

Have any issues with the blocker edge wearing out quickly? i use paddle down often and seem to always get wear on the edge of the blocker. I'm mostly wondering if i should spring for the extra cash and get a  mach blocker and glove. I tried on the M5 gloves and they felt good but side by side with the mach i could see and feel a little bit of difference in the material they used. The M5 glove closed nicely off the shelf and didn't fell too thin. In the past ive always thought a blocker is a blocker and haven't really paid that much attention to them.

I had the edge of my Hyperlite wear pretty notably from paddle down after only like...20 uses I think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:10 PM, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

Have you had any buyers remorse with going with m5 gloves and not Mach? Don’t know if it’s worth spending more money on higher quality gloves vs M5 gloves if you aren’t seeing high caliber shooters. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, xmikex32 said:

Have you had any buyers remorse with going with m5 gloves and not Mach? Don’t know if it’s worth spending more money on higher quality gloves vs M5 gloves if you aren’t seeing high caliber shooters. 

I meant to reply to this thread and then never got around to doing so. I apologize for the late response, I have not had any buyers remorse from going with the M5 gloves over the Mach. There is of course a difference in materials and everyone is subject to a random stinger every once and a while, but I haven't noticed any myself. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

I meant to reply to this thread and then never got around to doing so. I apologize for the late response, I have not had any buyers remorse from going with the M5 gloves over the Mach. There is of course a difference in materials and everyone is subject to a random stinger every once and a while, but I haven't noticed any myself. 

Are the rebounds off the M5 blocker pretty hot? torn between just getting a full M5 set or getting mach gloves and M5 pads.

12 hours ago, AnotherRandomGoalie said:

The rebounds off the M5 blocker seem pretty hot to me. 

I'm full right, so I can't use M5 gloves. Last time I checked, they only had regular available, both at Pure Hockey and at Goalie Monkey. The only manufacturer with full right available at a similar price point to the M5s is Warrior (G6+/G6.1+).

23 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I'm full right, so I can't use M5 gloves. Last time I checked, they only had regular available, both at Pure Hockey and at Goalie Monkey. The only manufacturer with full right available at a similar price point to the M5s is Warrior (G6+/G6.1+).

Pure hockey has some full right m5 pro gloves and blockers. 

• 1 month later...

Went and tried on some M5’s and seems like I can fit in either a large or a medium. The medium might be more mobile and seem to fit a little better without the thigh rise being too big  

the white pad is large and the blue is medium. My knee pads are usually covered by socks and taped down. 

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8803.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

Went and tried on some M5’s and seems like I can fit in either a large or a medium. The medium might be more mobile and seem to fit a little better without the thigh rise being too big  

the white pad is large and the blue is medium. My knee pads are usually covered by socks and taped down. 

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8803.jpeg

Looks like medium is the right choice if it was me personally

• Like 3

4 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8803.jpeg

Medium is what you want. You're landing low on the large. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8802.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8803.jpeg

Medium 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xmikex32 said:

I think and hope so I ordered a pair mediums.

Just got my Mediums last week.  Spent a LOT of time deliberating between M or L. Very glad I did. The mobility is really good .  They do feel a bit clunky just because of how stiff they are and my history with squishy pads, but oof, they'd be a mess if L.  The 1/2 inch or whatever loss of thigh rise coverage is a very fair compromise for all the other benefits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Just got my Mediums last week.  Spent a LOT of time deliberating between M or L. Very glad I did. The mobility is really good .  They do feel a bit clunky just because of how stiff they are and my history with squishy pads, but oof, they'd be a mess if L.  The 1/2 inch or whatever loss of thigh rise coverage is a very fair compromise for all the other benefits.

Ya the larges just felt massive on me because of how stiff they are. The thighrise seemed like it would poke a foot out in front of me. I want smaller for mobility and i think my BF is just wide enough that the shorter TR should still close the 5 hole

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I'm guessing the first skate went well? 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm guessing the first skate went well? 

yeah, really well.  It was 75 minutes. Pads felt a little clunky and a bit foreign, in the sense of very noticeable things on my legs, very different than even my Extra Stiff V9s.  First 10 minutes were uncomfortable getting used to them.  Landed on the face a few times but eventually figured out that I need to slightly adjust my footwork and stance to get them to rotate properly.  Once I did, they felt great and I started to settle in and just play about 45 minutes in.   They for sure do not slide as well as my V9s (Quick Slide is amazing) but they slid just fine. They are really comfortable when down and the knee block feels so solid and responsive. 

No good shots to the blocker, unfortunately but it is really comfortable, too.  The dexterity feels a bit different and foreign but got used to it pretty quick.

The glove, wow.  I had no idea a 600 would feel so natural and enjoyable but man, that thing is incredible.  Tons of glove saves and it was super easy to catch with and really snappy.  Puck handling is a bit awkward but I think I am just adjusting to the dexterity differences of both hands, so that'll come.

Did some slide and edge work at an open training yesterday too and that was great.  So far, very happy with the switch to Bauer after a lifetime in Vaughn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

yeah, really well.  It was 75 minutes. Pads felt a little clunky and a bit foreign, in the sense of very noticeable things on my legs, very different than even my Extra Stiff V9s.  First 10 minutes were uncomfortable getting used to them.  Landed on the face a few times but eventually figured out that I need to slightly adjust my footwork and stance to get them to rotate properly.  Once I did, they felt great and I started to settle in and just play about 45 minutes in.   They for sure do not slide as well as my V9s (Quick Slide is amazing) but they slid just fine. They are really comfortable when down and the knee block feels so solid and responsive. 

No good shots to the blocker, unfortunately but it is really comfortable, too.  The dexterity feels a bit different and foreign but got used to it pretty quick.

The glove, wow.  I had no idea a 600 would feel so natural and enjoyable but man, that thing is incredible.  Tons of glove saves and it was super easy to catch with and really snappy.  Puck handling is a bit awkward but I think I am just adjusting to the dexterity differences of both hands, so that'll come.

Did some slide and edge work at an open training yesterday too and that was great.  So far, very happy with the switch to Bauer after a lifetime in Vaughn.

Right on dude. Glad it went well. 

As for the glove, it's a 75 break, but the closing method feels closer to a 590. Probably why you found the transition so easy.