The official 2022-2023 "Gear sitings" thread

ThatCarGuy

On 4/30/2023 at 8:28 PM, RedX said:

Years ago I made the mistake of using the extreme Step Steel. I concede that you could grab ice good while in your butterfly, but they caused so much strain on my knee and hip on recoveries back to my feet. The blade was higher so your foot is higher, your knee is higher. I was unintentionally causing so much strain. I remember Price talking about sticking with his Graf’s for the reason that they’re lower to the ice. He eventually switched to a one-piece True before his hiatus. 

I used the 1X Vapor’s and I am now in my second pair of one-piece True’s and they just work so well. And not that I base too much of what I wear off what NHL guys do I believe some of the most elite skaters in the league are in them with Shesterkin, Saros, and Freddy Andersen. 

All seems well but I'm not gonna drop 1200$ on a custom skate.  

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Might need to make these pics their own thread

image.thumb.jpeg.d573d81228954c025f93b9ab22e65ebd.jpeg

Anyone have the picture of brossoit facing backwards in butterfly? Or better yet markstrom sitting behind the net

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

These guys are all imitating the innovator

image.png.7d02ab9dd1fefea10a6204375d731e78.png

Need backwards goalie thread stat

Anyone else think Montembault may have lost some bags on the flight over?

looking at his pads and stick. 

***Edited, lost luggage seems likely as that’s actually Joel Hofer. 

IMG_8512.jpeg

Edited by RedX
  • Haha 4

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or noticed this, but Akira Schmid is wearing a Maltese neck guard with the logo visible. I wonder if the league noticed. Perhaps they didn’t do anything because the company is defunct (They are defunct, right?). Of course, it won’t matter anymore since the Devils have been eliminated. 
I couldn’t find a picture from tonight’s game that shows the neck guard with branding. Here’s a picture from some other game. I did see it during the telecast tonight  IMG_0809.jpeg.6557687865e842929114c1fb19ccf672.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned or noticed this, but Akira Schmid is wearing a Maltese neck guard with the logo visible. I wonder if the league noticed. Perhaps they didn’t do anything because the company is defunct (They are defunct, right?). Of course, it won’t matter anymore since the Devils have been eliminated. 
I couldn’t find a picture from tonight’s game that shows the neck guard with branding. Here’s a picture from some other game. I did see it during the telecast tonight  IMG_0809.jpeg.6557687865e842929114c1fb19ccf672.jpeg

I noticed that too, thought it was super interesting.

14 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not sure why but it bothers me when guys who need soft pads to seal their five-whole go stiff as possible. Campbell has always been in soft pads, now I don't think he'll close up that hole ever again.

Not sure what you mean since those are the softest hyperlite  pads I’ve ever seen in my life

• Like 1

It hurts me to see Campbell desperately looking for answers to re-find his game in the wrong place, his gear. When he was in his Vaughns in Toronto, he was in the zone. It's the damn injuries that screwed him over. It reminds me when Theodore switched from Vaughn to Itech mid season cause he was in a slump in Montreal and his performance just kept slipping.

Jack is better than that and I hope he can get his head straight for what's left of his career or he'll just get dropped like so many other hopefuls over the years. 

Edited by RichMan
  • Like 2

Fwiw, every time I see Jack mopping up for skinner, who has given up some astonishingly bad goals, I can't help wondering why they don't come back with jack.  Saw this in an article which seems to verify what I've casually observed. 

"While a smaller sample size, Campbell's numbers are better than Skinner's and it's not particularly close. Campbell has a .947 save percentage and a goals-against average of 1.53. Skinner has a .888 save percentage and a goals-against of 3.60"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dee said:

Fwiw, every time I see Jack mopping up for skinner, who has given up some astonishingly bad goals, I can't help wondering why they don't come back with jack.  Saw this in an article which seems to verify what I've casually observed. 

"While a smaller sample size, Campbell's numbers are better than Skinner's and it's not particularly close. Campbell has a .947 save percentage and a goals-against average of 1.53. Skinner has a .888 save percentage and a goals-against of 3.60"

And why are they still starting Skinner? Seems like Campbell is a better choice. 

7 hours ago, Dee said:

Exactly!  Obviously coach knows best but it just doesn't make sense to my little pea brain...

From what I’ve been told, seeing your better goalie change gear multiple times over the course of the season can be terrifying as a coach. Skinner has changed absolutely nothing and may appear more stable and consistent in the coach’s eyes

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

From what I’ve been told, seeing your better goalie change gear multiple times over the course of the season can be terrifying as a coach. Skinner has changed absolutely nothing and may appear more stable and consistent in the coach’s eyes

If this is the case, maybe there's a lack of support here that "Soup" needs and isn't getting. He's looking for some answers on his own?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:55 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Never seemed to bother Belfour's coaches. Or Tim Thomas'.  I'd guess Campbell's long history of being streaky, a bit of a loveable headcase and his terrible start to the season had more to do with them not giving him a chance than him trying some new gear.  

• Like 2