The official 2022-2023 "Gear sitings" thread

ThatCarGuy

2 hours ago, MTH said:

I thought he was in an i8 with Sportmask. The Pro's Choice round holes by the ear make sense now. Sportmask ones are ovals.

Sportmask will (Or used to) do round holes for custom masks (I own one).  Quick was in a Sportmask Pro 3i, and after a quick image search, have the standard Sportmask holes.  I thought he had one with the round.

Edited by beansbats
I was wrong.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

A little while back, I took part in a coaching clinic offered by the Ottawa 67s coaching staff (which was fantastic). 
We also got a tour of the room, so I snapped some pics. 
I don’t know my chesties that well, but is this a hybrid/frankenchestie…(?)

7046F744-3BAC-4FBB-9ECC-7E1E9164E30A.jpeg

1AB29CCC-D946-4148-9731-5933379EBDEF.jpeg

5947CF59-BE53-46C9-94DA-7FE89865080F.jpeg

247444D6-20E1-43A9-9C08-6CA10ACF52B9.jpeg

491A66E8-A179-4A43-8BE2-0A54ABEA2883.jpeg

7DCD6A12-C795-4A68-A0A0-71D40AB5F8AA.jpeg

4C2F57C8-8BC5-4932-82B0-7BA8AAB85B26.jpeg

Very cool.

Yea, that C/A is a mix of the Eflex and Axis line. Which makes sense since, from what I've heard, the eflex arms aren't the most protective. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

A little while back, I took part in a coaching clinic offered by the Ottawa 67s coaching staff (which was fantastic). 

Yes chesty is an Eflex body with Axis arms

White based CCM pads have boot risers installed

image.png.e6a8a1bdc3315c108bd4e74edc56c359.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Yes chesty is an Eflex body with Axis arms

White based CCM pads have boot risers installed

image.png.e6a8a1bdc3315c108bd4e74edc56c359.png

Well spotted! We weren’t allowed to touch anything, but it looked liked the kind of foam you’d expect to see inside a 90s era Pro”helmet”.

Very minimal strapping on those; pretty modern! And yet… both goalies use skate lace toe-toes; I guess we’re still a couple of years away from goalies at this level having only known some variation of the bungee cord.

interesting- if fatalist- message on Mac’s stick, as seen in the pic.

The goalie coach, Andrew Mercer, was also there. I was fortunate enough to work with him briefly. A few very interesting drills, coming from a different perspective; I tried one with the goalie on my kid’s team that I coach, and it worked very well!

31 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Very minimal strapping on those; pretty modern! And yet… both goalies use skate lace toe-toes; I guess we’re still a couple of years away from goalies at this level having only known some variation of the bungee cord.

Unlikely unless prolaces “push” model works as expected. Skate lace is still the optimal way to play the post at higher skill levels and highly encouraged by coaches and goalie partners for quicker post movements

54 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Unlikely unless prolaces “push” model works as expected. Skate lace is still the optimal way to play the post at higher skill levels and highly encouraged by coaches and goalie partners for quicker post movements

Hoping that someone can find out/compile tangible data on the performance difference and ankle strain difference between the two.

But you're right, bungees haven't really caught on with the current era of NHL goaltenders (I think I've seen maybe only 6 goalies use them so far this year).  It'll be interesting to see if the next crop of goaltenders in 5-10 years will retain use of bungees as they graduate to pro, since bungees usually come standard default with most stock pads nowadays.

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Is there a real advantage or is it a placebo effect? What would those who have used both and use a lot of RVH have to say? What about regular cord instead of bungee cord?

There is definitely less stress on the lower joints with the bungees but pushing off the toe box of the pad from the post was impossible for me with them. You lose all your power and momentum because they stretch, where as with the laces the stay taught so you can generate power. I’m part of the younger generation, but laces are the way to go for me.

5 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Is there a real advantage or is it a placebo effect? What would those who have used both and use a lot of RVH have to say? What about regular cord instead of bungee cord?

A big reason why guys prefer laces still has to do with toe bridge in post rvh. 

It's a lot easier to hit and transition out of when using laces over bungee. 

12 hours ago, Neomop said:

Hoping that someone can find out/compile tangible data on the performance difference and ankle strain difference between the two.

But you're right, bungees haven't really caught on with the current era of NHL goaltenders (I think I've seen maybe only 6 goalies use them so far this year).  It'll be interesting to see if the next crop of goaltenders in 5-10 years will retain use of bungees as they graduate to pro, since bungees usually come standard default with most stock pads nowadays.

I’m not saying it’s considerably more then 6 but I can think of more then 6 off the top of my head. Most bungee users are the Pro Lace Hybrid that comes stock on the True’s. Then there’s whatever the hell Hellebuyck uses.

20 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

7046F744-3BAC-4FBB-9ECC-7E1E9164E30A.jpeg

1AB29CCC-D946-4148-9731-5933379EBDEF.jpeg

5947CF59-BE53-46C9-94DA-7FE89865080F.jpeg

247444D6-20E1-43A9-9C08-6CA10ACF52B9.jpeg

491A66E8-A179-4A43-8BE2-0A54ABEA2883.jpeg

7DCD6A12-C795-4A68-A0A0-71D40AB5F8AA.jpeg

4C2F57C8-8BC5-4932-82B0-7BA8AAB85B26.jpeg

Man.  Drooling over those Warrior twigs.  Nice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

He's coming out with another model?

18 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

17 hours ago, Neomop said:

Keep in mind, these are guys who basically full-time the position and supplement their on-ice work with a lot of off-ice stuff, and are playing in an environment with higher stakes. 

For us older guys, hip and ankle strength are the first to go, and these two regions get torqued on the hardest in butterfly. 

If you're going to tweak your ankle/knee/hip dropping into a butterfly you are probably RVHing shin box to post or not using it at all, and it is just better to manage what you do the most (butterfly)

As others have said, regular skate lace has a set end point.  I think the key word word we are looking for is "responsiveness" - laces are more responsive when loading into and off the post than bungee. 

Even if you're using 2.5" of slack on skate lace, most of it wraps around the post, and more importantly, does not expand when your weight shifts into or out of the post.  As the speed of play gets faster, it becomes even more important to be able to stop and anchor quickly and efficiently; bungee does not allow us to do that.

From personal experience integrating RVH and refining other post play aspects into my own game, I have noticed a difference between the two.  I'm currently using ProLaces Armor Hybrid on my pads as I'm still a little timid with my recent knee injury, but once it gets feeling back to 100% I will likely switch back to skate lace.

For those looking to improve this range, you can try the drills below

19 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Well spotted! We weren’t allowed to touch anything, but it looked liked the kind of foam you’d expect to see inside a 90s era Pro”helmet”.

interesting- if fatalist- message on Mac’s stick, as seen in the pic.

The goalie coach, Andrew Mercer, was also there. I was fortunate enough to work with him briefly. A few very interesting drills, coming from a different perspective; I tried one with the goalie on my kid’s team that I coach, and it worked very well!

Yes, looks like a Rubatex "patch" to me - probably has some adhesive on the back side so it was a peel and stick solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this talk about the toe-tie lace preferences reminds me of the old GSBB days when that one member in Vancouver (What was his name?) was convinced NO toe-ties were the way to go. He tightened the bootstrap a little and went without toe-ties. Do you remember that premise?

Now we’ve swung the opposite direction, no bootstraps and skate lace toe-ties. What a crazy world. 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

All this talk about the toe-tie lace preferences reminds me of the old GSBB days when that one member in Vancouver (What was his name?) was convinced NO toe-ties were the way to go. He tightened the bootstrap a little and went without toe-ties. Do you remember that premise?

Now we’ve swung the opposite direction, no bootstraps and skate lace toe-ties. What a crazy world. 

Burn your toe ties. 

• Haha 3