Uncage

20 minutes ago, CamWardFan said:

As far as cat eye vs. certified, I'm pretty sure that would not be an issue down the line.  All it would require is a denser pattern of wires to reach the certified standard. Even with a full certified pattern, the thinness of the wires could be a distinct visual advantage with no worry about sticks. Also could obviously be a weight saver.

This is kind of what I was thinking too. If it's thinner and less likely to rust out that would be a huge upside.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 12:22 AM, Chenner29 said:

I've read and reread this thread several times

In my mind I'm still reading "tensegrity" as "Tegridy"

image.png.50b51aaa1adde4e3ebe37fd1d0ca6e4e.png

If I understand the video and website correctly, it looks like the cross bars are actually made of Dyneema thread.  If the threads were to snap from impact, I don't think they would recoil the way we are expecting

Paging our resident engineer @maxtm30

I’m guessing the wires would snap like a nylon/cotton thread, so split in two. This structure seems to be more resilient that a standart cage. I do not use a cat eye (I’m not cool I know) but traditional cages loose strength to more they bend. This product looks really promising, first time there is inovation in the goalie cage (except the SAW hardware Bauer put out with the Concept and NME one). 

The aesthetics are weird, but then again, look how we reacted to the 1s back in the day(or how a certain netminding guy reacted to the hyperlite in the mach thread). The guy from uncage might not be a goalie, but he could fine tune his design with some adjustments I guess.

Time will tell.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:24 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

I can't tell from the pictures - is it one cord that is laced all the way around? Or multiple cords? If it's one, a failure where the single cord under tension is cut seems like it could be catastrophic as opposed to a single cord.

I'm imagining a single cord failing and that whole single cord under tension unraveling and slicing you up pretty good.

The wire is made from Dyneema, if I'm reading correctly, which is similar to Kevlar. I know you need some pretty sharp scissors to handle Kevlar. Would this stuff slice you up worse/deeper than a shard of steel?

A single thread spreads the impact on a longer thread, so less tension overall when impacted. This might help actually. But it "looks" like multiple to me.

The thing for me is that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one of these unless it was strung in the same pattern as a certified cage (no reason to use a pro cat-eye style pattern when the wire is that thin). I would also need to see the cage and mask stand up to serious abuse; shots from all angles, hitting every part of the wire and perimeter bar, at speeds well above what we would ever face, for an extended period of time. I'd also want to see how it stands up to getting smashed by sticks and skates; and I'd need to know more about how to inspect these for material fatigue, and what happens during the failure moment.

Cost could also be an issue, if these requires regular replacement.

Edited by CJ Boiss