Bauer Mach x Hyperlite Chest Protector

Chenner29

It's here and it's very pretty.

Going to be doing a write up on this unit as I get some skates in

Initial post will be reviewing initial thoughts etc

Initial pics, courtesy of The Goalie Crease

image.png.1bf96a3de2ec7bd299a06cca199f561c.png image.thumb.png.f652fe6e334460e41ab5d7076987df02.png

image.thumb.png.1d833a9a6d97716455b06cab9dfb9ab4.png

I ran the order through Rance at the Goalie Crease, we spent a little bit of time reviewing the arms and comparing them to my CCM AB18Pro.

Settled on the following build.  Note Bauer did NOT attach a set of Machs to the unit and I am extremely upset and have sent my mom to talk to their manager

image.png.9ec0aa7197f9f4f51156a4566235e3e5.png

I am pretty pleased with how this unit came out.

I had to make some further adjustment to the arm length, which is easy to do with the system they have in place.  There's a lot of excess material between the arm and the body, but you can adjust length with the provided velcro/nylon strap:

image.thumb.png.fd56cb48dd2931236587802cce07c8d9.png

The inner arm material is lined with air knit.  The elbow area is very soft and cushy, feels kind of like a wetsuit material.  Also very well padded with something that feels like memory foam.  Guessing it's Poron. 

image.thumb.png.598d41e9668c741c0f15de3773226054.png

After moving around in it a bit with the warm weather we're having today in Socal, it loosened up a bit.
I also adjusted the cord in the arm hinge system as I felt that was part of the reason why it felt so tight

image.thumb.png.074994f496f47a4aea38f44617f337f6.png

Unit feels extremely sturdy and solid.  Definitely on par with the AB18Pro
Shoulder floaters measure 1" thick, I'm guessing stock unit is .5"
Arms feel plenty beefy
I feel a lot of similarity in the arms with my CCM unit, you get that player shinpad feel in the front.

With the new NHL sizing restrictions, AB units can no longer be fully rounded at the upper bicep.  This creates a liability zone where manufacturers have opted to split the upper bicep into three parts, the main middle portion and an outer and inner ridge closest to your ribcage.  Other manufacturers like CCM opted to square it off to avoid any gaps, and it Bauer has followed suit this year with the Mach arms.

image.png.3831ad8efcc3eaf844340b158d75e846.png
The Bauer actually has a nice soft rounded inner layer in the upper arm (below, yellow arrows) to help support the "dead zone" where the front bicep piece folds over (below, green arrows).  Note these pics were both taken of the right arm which is why the arrows are pointing towards each other

image.thumb.png.9d900513678f3e12ea8d1fce02ab5172.pngimage.thumb.png.8a65e7c97e9feb7b108dacd70b79603e.png

The upper outside bicep and elbow hinge area are all 1" thick, plenty of protection for those chicken wing saves

image.png.0dbd26fd7fae2c958e65cd247f222251.png

Mobility wise, I can palm the top of my head with minimal effort.
I can also touch same side shoulder and opposite shoulder on both sides

Very happy overall so far.  I will update later with post skate impressions.
Meanwhile ask away with any questions

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

It's here and it's very pretty.

Going to be doing a write up on this unit as I get some skates in

Initial post will be reviewing initial thoughts etc

Initial pics, courtesy of The Goalie Crease

image.png.1bf96a3de2ec7bd299a06cca199f561c.png image.thumb.png.f652fe6e334460e41ab5d7076987df02.png

image.thumb.png.1d833a9a6d97716455b06cab9dfb9ab4.png

I ran the order through Rance at the Goalie Crease, we spent a little bit of time reviewing the arms and comparing them to my CCM AB18Pro.

Settled on the following build.  Note Bauer did NOT attach a set of Machs to the unit and I am extremely upset and have sent my mom to talk to their manager

image.png.9ec0aa7197f9f4f51156a4566235e3e5.png

I am pretty pleased with how this unit came out.

I had to make some further adjustment to the arm length, which is easy to do with the system they have in place.  There's a lot of excess material between the arm and the body, but you can adjust length with the provided velcro/nylon strap:

image.thumb.png.fd56cb48dd2931236587802cce07c8d9.png

The inner arm material is lined with air knit.  The elbow area is very soft and cushy, feels kind of like a wetsuit material.  Also very well padded with something that feels like memory foam.  Guessing it's Poron. 

image.thumb.png.598d41e9668c741c0f15de3773226054.png

After moving around in it a bit with the warm weather we're having today in Socal, it loosened up a bit.
I also adjusted the cord in the arm hinge system as I felt that was part of the reason why it felt so tight

image.thumb.png.074994f496f47a4aea38f44617f337f6.png

Unit feels extremely sturdy and solid.  Definitely on par with the AB18Pro
Shoulder floaters measure 1" thick, I'm guessing stock unit is .5"
Arms feel plenty beefy
I feel a lot of similarity in the arms with my CCM unit, you get that player shinpad feel in the front.

With the new NHL sizing restrictions, AB units can no longer be fully rounded at the upper bicep.  This creates a liability zone where manufacturers have opted to split the upper bicep into three parts, the main middle portion and an outer and inner ridge closest to your ribcage.  Other manufacturers like CCM opted to square it off to avoid any gaps, and it Bauer has followed suit this year with the Mach arms.

image.png.3831ad8efcc3eaf844340b158d75e846.png
The Bauer actually has a nice soft rounded inner layer in the upper arm (below, yellow arrows) to help support the "dead zone" where the front bicep piece folds over (below, green arrows).  Note these pics were both taken of the right arm which is why the arrows are pointing towards each other

image.thumb.png.9d900513678f3e12ea8d1fce02ab5172.pngimage.thumb.png.8a65e7c97e9feb7b108dacd70b79603e.png

The upper outside bicep and elbow hinge area are all 1" thick, plenty of protection for those chicken wing saves

image.png.0dbd26fd7fae2c958e65cd247f222251.png

Mobility wise, I can palm the top of my head with minimal effort.
I can also touch same side shoulder and opposite shoulder on both sides

Very happy overall so far.  I will update later with post skate impressions.
Meanwhile ask away with any questions

I’m about to order something very similar, except with mach all the way through most likely. I was originally nervous about the arms because I previously had an ultrasonic and the as the sliding system slid up it would get caught on the shoulder flap if that makes any sense. It would basically hinder mobility and not let your arm slide all the way up. Just tried on the mach in store and had no issues with it what so ever. Protection was also lacking on the ultrasonic. Most likely going to go medium mach body and arms, beef up shoulders/bicep/forearms, and then make the forearms slightly shorter. Just tried on every chest protector in my local hockey shop and they had all of the latest models of every brand in my size (somehow). Mach was easily the most mobile and comfortable chest protector I tried on. We’ll see where it goes😂

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Nope, it was a quick turnaround lol

What didn't you like about it?

I'm using a custom hyperlite with pro series arms (reinforced shoulders, biceps, forearms) and really loving its protection and mobility. I haven't had any heat issues with it either, which is a pleasant surprise living in Texas.

16 minutes ago, Teezle said:

What didn't you like about it?

I'm using a custom hyperlite with pro series arms (reinforced shoulders, biceps, forearms) and really loving its protection and mobility. I haven't had any heat issues with it either, which is a pleasant surprise living in Texas.

I got smoked a couple times in the ribs and arms.  Ended up sticking with my NHL spec CCM

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I got smoked a couple times in the ribs and arms.  Ended up sticking with my NHL spec CCM

That's too bad. I was debating on ordering a new beefed up Bauer since the pro return Pro I have is a medium body and it's a bit small. But I have felt nothing in the Pro and I wonder if the retail beefed up one's still aren't actually on par with what they are sending out to the pro players.

1 hour ago, wox33 said:

That's too bad. I was debating on ordering a new beefed up Bauer since the pro return Pro I have is a medium body and it's a bit small. But I have felt nothing in the Pro and I wonder if the retail beefed up one's still aren't actually on par with what they are sending out to the pro players.

I'm one to believe that the actual Pro units are a cut above in protection compared to store bought ones, especially for beer leaguers and the likes. I remember my pro-return H5 had significantly thicker arm padding compared to anything I've worn over the decades. Brown units might be the only brand that equals without asking for the beefed up kit IMO. I had the JB503, zero issues I can think of.