Future of Goaltending

TheGoalNet

The Future of Goaltending   

51 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will change the most in goaltending moving forward? (Vote Multiple Items)

• Gear Shapes
    • Gear Materials
    • Technique
    • Equipment regulations
    • Customization Options
    • Retail Vs Direct Sales
    • Larger Goalies
    • Gear that improves function
    • New save selection

On 1/28/2018 at 12:11 PM, Fullright said:

Heck, there used to be Northland & Sherbrooke sticks. While we are a little off topic, what happened to Cooper, Micron, and probably the most obscure of all Great Saves? Hate to admit, I played in college with one of the owners, Stu Gould, but alas lost contact with that maniac. Good man, good goalie.

Companies come and go as things move ahead. Some one buys out some else's company. A big change though that wasn't around before is the ability of the buyer to reach out directly to the company and vice versa through the internet. The word is mouth is much broader than ever before. Total Hockey got over extended and re-organized. Now, only two of their stores in the Northern Illinois area stock goalie equipment. Kind of a shaky basis for a company to rely on a kid wanting to look like so and so using stuff that his/her favorite uses in the show. Not to mention, the kid is only using the same label, not the same piece.

Bauer bought Cooper in the mid 90s

• 4 weeks later...

RVH kinda sounds X rated.

Or related to

549605364.jpg?350

Honestly technique and the fact that every goalie now has a goalie coach has changed the game. There are mite goalies with butterfly movements and other techniques that would make Roy in the day look sloppy. It's insane how much training youth athletes all see now.

11 minutes ago, MTH said:

RVH kinda sounds X rated.

Or related to

549605364.jpg?350

Honestly technique and the fact that every goalie now has a goalie coach has changed the game. There are mite goalies with butterfly movements and other techniques that would make Roy in the day look sloppy. It's insane how much training youth athletes all see now.

I agree 100%... I would compare it to how metrics have changed Baseball.  All of the video analysis, breakdowns and technique variations make goalies better.  Save selections, shooter tendencies, none of that existed when I was growing up.  Add that to the physical training, sports psychology and advancements in equipment... better on ice performance from the wee ones up to the Pros

I'm not sure how generally old everyone is here, but there was a lot of coaching possible that existed when I was a kid. I went to quite a few camps with sport psychologists and was doing butterfly slides in Koho Evolutions and Vaughn Visions when they were still relevant pads.

I will definitely agree that this stuff is significantly more pervasive now though and I only see it becoming more so.

Archived