Brian's Optik 3 preview

Snowman30

9 hours ago, TresPasser said:

Just noticed that Brian's has changed Boa to UTURN system. Does anyone have any info about this change and differences between these two systems?

Making a guess but might be a licensing issue. I believe BOA is a trademark of whoever created it. I know DC snowboard boots were some of the first to use the BOA system. Maybe they tweaked it slightly or just ripped it off and called it something else. This is just a guess

51 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Making a guess but might be a licensing issue. I believe BOA is a trademark of whoever created it. I know DC snowboard boots were some of the first to use the BOA system. Maybe they tweaked it slightly or just ripped it off and called it something else. This is just a guess

Same product, different company. 

These type of switches mainly come down to $$$

https://www.boafit.com/en-us

https://uturn.eu/

16 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Or product allocation/availability

And is that not essentially $$$ - Checkmate. 

Though that brings up the question. BOA's availability on their product must be abhorrent if Brians (Canada) is willing to disengage from a long term partnership from BOA who's head office is in the USA, to go to a competitor who's based out of Denmark. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And is that not essentially $$$ - Checkmate. 

Though that brings up the question. BOA's availability on their product must be abhorrent if Brians (Canada) is willing to disengage from a long term partnership from BOA who's head office is in the USA, to go to a competitor who's based out of Denmark. 

I would believe it could be a mix of availability + price, normally you would not choose a supplier in a country like Denmark for the sake of a cheap product, because well.... things are not cheap in Denmark. But at least the current situation with the currencies help. As an example, the last time I bought some hockey equipment in Canada the rate was 4,98 DKK to 1 CAD, right now it's 5,68 DKK to 1 CAD, so that also helps a bit with a weaker currency, than the relationship with the CAD-USD where the USD have risen a lot more.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadsM said:

I would believe it could be a mix of availability + price, normally you would not choose a supplier in a country like Denmark for the sake of a cheap product, because well.... things are not cheap in Denmark. But at least the current situation with the currencies help. As an example, the last time I bought some hockey equipment in Canada the rate was 4,98 DKK to 1 CAD, right now it's 5,68 DKK to 1 CAD, so that also helps a bit with a weaker currency, than the relationship with the CAD-USD where the USD have risen a lot more.... 

USD to CAD is about 0.75 - 0.78 over a 5 year average. The exchange rate between the two countries hasn't had a lot of volatility. Only during the onset of the pandemic where it was 0.70. But everything was out of whack then. 

I can't imagine that the lower price of the Denmark currency would offset any benefits that the logistics chain that would come from China -> US -> Canada. 

Chances are most of the widgets are all being created in Asia and the shipping over the pacific for ground shipment in NA is a lot cheaper than Ground shipment across Asia/Europe, Atlantic, then NA. 

BOA has been on Brian's gloves since the Optik 1. Released to the public in late 2017. So if we wanted to look at a three year contract term with a few extension options, I'm taking a guess that the contract had reached it's term and that through negotiations, UTURN was able to come in and scoop up BOA's lunch. 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:04 AM, ilyazhito said:

So the über-hard rebounds Bauer has are a function of pad core? That is interesting.

I'll definitely take a look at the Stabilislide Brian's knee block topic.

I'll have to wait for Optik 3 gameplay reviews to see if I might later be able to get a used unit. 

Skin also has something to do with it too

But generally speaking, no one is close to Bauer in rebounds. The Bauer rebounds have velocity off of them. Everyone else just has distance, but it's not fast.

Monkey has some blurbs up along with their customizer.

Pads

Brand new for 2022, Brian’s Custom Sports unleashes their newest iteration of the Optik series with the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Leg Pads; designed to take the already beloved Optik line to all new heights!

Starting with the face of the pad; a flat, laceless design that has become a staple of the Optik line returns, along with a redesigned, streamlined outer roll that helps reduce the weight of the pad and improve five hole closure.

The three flex options introduced in the Optik 2 make their return in the Optik 3, he FLX option is similar to a double internal break with an 80 degree toe taper which is meant for a hybrid goalie who wants more of an S curve to their pad. Next, the FLY option will be for a goalie who has a wider butterfly and wants a stiffer pad setup with a 90 degree toe taper; while the MAX option will be a middle ground between the FLX and FLY option, featuring the S shape as seen in the FLX but offering a stiffer build that a goalie needs for long term use but will not be as stiff as the FLY option. The MAX option will come as a 87 degree toe taper.

A Bri-Core tri-axle carbon fiber weave can be found in the thigh rise, allowing for a stiff thigh without adding a lot of weight.

The inside edge of the Brian’s Optik 3 will feature the popular Opti-Slide Primo sliding edge as seen in other Brian’s models. Primo is designed to give the goaltender a quicker sliding surface while adding durability for long term use.

Around on the back of the leg pad, Brian’s offers a removable outer knee flap so the player can have an open or closed knee cradle based on their preference. A dual option knee strap is paired with Brian’s Smart Strap system down at the calf. An optional upper calf strap can be added to aid with rotational control.

Finally at the bottom of the leg channel Brian’s well known and loved Smart Cord strapping at the toe and Smart Boot strap.

If you are an elite-level goaltender who previously enjoyed the Optik leg pad or is looking for the newest and best offering from Brian’s Custom Sports, look no further than the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Leg Pads.

Catcher

Brand new for 2022, Brian’s Custom Sports unleashes their newest iteration of the Optik series with the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Catcher; designed to take the already beloved Optik line to all new heights!

Starting in the palm of the glove, The Optik 3 pays homage to the massive looks of its predecessors, while still maintaining NHL specs. The closure will come stock as a 40 degree closure with a game ready palm. Throughout the palm, you will see the laced in break that ensures a consistent snap closure and feel.

A bevelled thumb and one-piece cuff which have been staples of the Optik line return as well, with the Optik 3 featuring a Bri-Core carbon fiber reinforcement in the cuff for additional protection and stiffness in the cuff and wrist.

Finally at the wrist The BOA wrist strapping coupled with a floating strap design allows for a personalized fit.

If you are an elite-level goaltender who previously enjoyed the Optik glove or is looking for the newest and best offering from Brian’s Custom Sports, look no further than the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Glove.

Blocker

Brand new for 2022, Brian’s Custom Sports unleashes their newest iteration of the Optik series with the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Blocker; designed to take the already beloved Optik line to all new heights!

Starting with the board of the Optik 3, you will see Brian’s has maintained the bevelled shape of the board, allowing the blocker to be extremely lightweight and balanced. The Optik 3 features a Bri-Core carbon fiber reinforcement as well to reduce puck impacts.

A bindingless face and sidewall coupled with a high density sidewall and thumb allows for maximum protection.

On the backhand, a wide cuff opening is placed with a mid-centered hand placement, which allows for maximum movement in the wrist to make those tricky saves in close.

Finally adjustable fingers and a BOA smart dial strapping system allow for a truly dialed in fit to make the Optik 3 your own.

If you are an elite-level goaltender who previously enjoyed the Optik blocker or is looking for the newest and best offering from Brian’s Custom Sports, look no further than the Brian’s Optik 3 Pro Senior Custom Goalie Blocker.

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Monkey has some blurbs up along with their customizer.

Pads

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sounds like there was the addition of carbon fibre but most of the design has remained the same. 

Yeah, pretty much. I snagged some screenshots from the Brian's website here as well of changes I've noticed (that are most obvious, from here https://www.goalies-only.com/collection-optik-3/). I think these are all good changes and not everything has to be extreme for the sake of change. 

The carbon fiber in the thigh of the Optik3 is going to do a lot, given on my experience of it in the thigh of my GnetikV with versus GnetikIV without.

[Quick note for me is that I've never had an issue with my Optik1 or Optik2 blockers' thumbs, though I don't see the squared up thumb as a bad design change either. My Optik2 blocker is basically an Optik2.5 since I have a Bri-Core board in it, thing rockets pucks off of it and I love how it feels holding a stick. I promise I'll write a review of my GNetikV set, featuring Optik2 blocker, at some point soon.]

image.thumb.png.7c41cfc26b134be114a499a163bff59d.png

image.thumb.png.7b92f1f117d3e74de85c911409fb95ef.png

image.png.3b7377f316ea964908c628be57ecd259.png

image.thumb.png.1049496cee665006c29b7c6b25f5c8f0.png

image.png.5bc3f59ddd734144031f6f86bc3b8e53.png

image.png.e79603fc5b015eef73a9692ef5b23683.png

image.png.875977a847d8dfaa92bb52b37f6d8ee1.png

image.png.b147ab71ce3a80415842deee3d949b5f.png

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...