Warrior G3 Junior Rotation Problem

timrickmann

Hi all,

First post here.  I'm a new goalie dad and admittedly don't know a ton about this yet.  My 7 year old son just got a set of used 26+1 G3 pads , and we're having a problem with the pads seemingly wanting to slide out of position, caused mostly by the toe strap I think.  The face of the pads are turning towards the outside.  I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening.  Do I need to replace the elastic straps with proper toe ties or am I doing something wrong.  I would send pictures but I haven't got any at the moment.  Other than the pads sitting outwards they seem to be a really great set for him

Thanks for the help in advance

Welcome aboard the board @timrickmann. If I'm understanding your description correctly - it sounds like the pads are UNDER-rotating - meaning more like this (if you are looking straight on at the knees)...

\ /

image.png.a6741fa759af1472ada3274cc920df8d.png

... as opposed to this...

/ \

image.png.88f281f5739508fb175f9927c10781ac.png

... which I'd call OVER-rotating.

Anwhow - you are on the right track. Generally if pads are under-rotating it means things (the toe and/or pad strapping) are too tight. If pads are over-rotating it means things are too loose.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Also stumbled upon this Simmons article which you might find useful: https://simmonshockey.com/toe-ties-and-pad-rotation

Edited by chile57
GOOGLED AND ADDED SOME REFERENCE IMAGES...

2 hours ago, timrickmann said:

Hi all,

First post here.  I'm a new goalie dad and admittedly don't know a ton about this yet.  My 7 year old son just got a set of used 26+1 G3 pads , and we're having a problem with the pads seemingly wanting to slide out of position, caused mostly by the toe strap I think.  The face of the pads are turning towards the outside.  I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening.  Do I need to replace the elastic straps with proper toe ties or am I doing something wrong.  I would send pictures but I haven't got any at the moment.  Other than the pads sitting outwards they seem to be a really great set for him

Thanks for the help in advance

How tight are the Velcro straps? That might be something to check on.

I would also check whether he uses a boot strap, and if so, how tight it is. If the boot strap is a problem, see if it can't be loosened or removed.

I wear my ProLaces through the bottom of my skate the way an old bootstrap would have been worn, but then my pad has only Velcro straps. I wear the Velcro straps loosely, including the knee strap. My pads have some give, but they don't flop around. My knee has slid off the stack, but it seems to be more of a size problem, as it lines up above the center of the stack. 

@chile57 Yes that's helpful.  The pads actually seal great when he goes down in his butterfly.  It's when he's up getting ready for a shot, that's when the pad seems to over-rotate on him.  I've narrowed it down to the elastic toe strap on the Warrior pads.  I think I'm going to install a normal toe bridge and do some like the old CCM pads he had.  More stable for him right now I think.  The elastic strap seems to be pulling the pad and over rotating it every time he gets up off the ice

Thanks for the Simmons article though.  That's super helpful!

1 hour ago, timrickmann said:

@chile57 Yes that's helpful.  The pads actually seal great when he goes down in his butterfly.  It's when he's up getting ready for a shot, that's when the pad seems to over-rotate on him.  I've narrowed it down to the elastic toe strap on the Warrior pads.  I think I'm going to install a normal toe bridge and do some like the old CCM pads he had.  More stable for him right now I think.  The elastic strap seems to be pulling the pad and over rotating it every time he gets up off the ice

Thanks for the Simmons article though.  That's super helpful!

Try ProLaces. If you go on their official website https://prolaces.ca/en, you should see that ProLaces have a junior option for smaller pads. If you choose the lace attachment, they can be tied in through a normal toe bridge.

ProLaces are great because they keep the pad tightly secured to the foot, but provide enough slack for the pad to properly rotate. I have not had rotation issues after switching from toe hooks to ProLaces. If you choose the "Pro Laces Armour", you get a set of elastic laces in a reinforced skate lace sheath that protects against the elastics getting cut. There are also the "Hybrid", "TGN", and "Trav4" spec versions. I wear the Hybrid version. Don't forget to use the promo code TravSucks for a $5 discount. 

@timrickmann I'm not telling you what to do - but if your little person is in junior pads (and likely rapidly growing) I would just stick with regular run of the mill lace as you've suggested rather than spend the money elsewhere. Guess you could argue that anything aftermarket would be transferable but I'd hone in on the solution before I spend the money. For what its worth - I think you are on the right track.

If you have a chance to try it out on the ice:

Open up all the straps except calf and maybe knee strap. See how the pads do now. If still problematic, loosen the straps a bit. Maybe half an inch or so and repeat the test. Then add one strap, boot or toe and repeat the test to see if anything changed. Then change something and test again.

This test sequence can be done to only say right pad while left is as used to be. Will take some repeats to see the effects.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Very helpful!  I came up with a solution that used a toe bridge and the toe hooks from his old pads, ditching the elastic strap at the front of the skate and keeping everything else.  I think it should work really well!.  I put a painters stir stick inside the channel where the old strap went through, and connected that with the toe bridge.  It's plenty strong and still a bit flexible and should hold up well!  A little bit DIY but it's a cheap solution that should work

IMG_8369.JPG

IMG_8370.JPG

IMG_8371.JPG