New C&A advice

Hey everyone, I'm currently in a CCM Shield 2.9 that's been decent for my lower level games but as I've progressed into faster more skilled games, it's definitely not giving me a whole lot of confidence. I recently snagged a Premier pro but ended up selling it as elbow floaters were sagging too far down the forearms and causing a lot of interference with my glove and blocker, I've chalked it up to the age of the unit and the condition of the elastic on the elbow floaters but I wasn't sure if that was a common theme with that chest protector.

I'd love to get some feedback on a few of the units I've got in mind.

EF5 - I feel like this will probably be the closest to my Shield 2.9 but I have read some things stating the protection for a "pro" level unit was questionable.

Axis - I've tried this unit a while back and liked the fit but haven't found any sort of long term use reviews.

Premier - Now that I know what to look for with the elbow floaters I've debated trying to find one in better condition because I did like the feel.

CCM Pro - I've got my eyes on one but it's a large body. It does have regular arms which I do believe will work for me but I'm in a medium now so I question whether it would fit correctly. 

I appreciate any feedback!

Any reason why you want to solely stick with CCM units? 

Warrior, Bauer, Vaughn, and Brians all make great chest protectors and they all have different feels. If you're able to (and you haven't yet), I'd highly recommend trying on a ton of stuff at your local hockey shop to see what you like best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

Hey everyone, I'm currently in a CCM Shield 2.9 that's been decent for my lower level games but as I've progressed into faster more skilled games, it's definitely not giving me a whole lot of confidence. I recently snagged a Premier pro but ended up selling it as elbow floaters were sagging too far down the forearms and causing a lot of interference with my glove and blocker, I've chalked it up to the age of the unit and the condition of the elastic on the elbow floaters but I wasn't sure if that was a common theme with that chest protector.

I'd love to get some feedback on a few of the units I've got in mind.

EF5 - I feel like this will probably be the closest to my Shield 2.9 but I have read some things stating the protection for a "pro" level unit was questionable.

Axis - I've tried this unit a while back and liked the fit but haven't found any sort of long term use reviews.

Premier - Now that I know what to look for with the elbow floaters I've debated trying to find one in better condition because I did like the feel.

CCM Pro - I've got my eyes on one but it's a large body. It does have regular arms which I do believe will work for me but I'm in a medium now so I question whether it would fit correctly. 

I appreciate any feedback!

CCM AB18Pro all the way.

Retail stock CCM units are junk.  These are NHL issued.  You can find them on Sideline Swap

image.png.542fbb54fff828c44903dcda99771a60.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Any reason why you want to solely stick with CCM units? 

Warrior, Bauer, Vaughn, and Brians all make great chest protectors and they all have different feels. If you're able to (and you haven't yet), I'd highly recommend trying on a ton of stuff at your local hockey shop to see what you like best. 

I'm not opposed to them but I do like the way the retail CCM units have the belt loops that work with the buckles on the CCM pants. There also tends to be a whole lot more CCM on the used market than the others. I've tried on Warrior, Bauer, and Vaughn. The warriors felt a bit too bulky for me but I did like the Bauers and Vaughns, probably need to spend some time looking at both of those brands again and seeing if I can try them on again.

12 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

CCM AB18Pro all the way.

Retail stock CCM units are junk.  These are NHL issued.  You can find them on Sideline Swap

image.png.542fbb54fff828c44903dcda99771a60.png

I actually saw your review on this right after I posted mine. How did you find the sizing of this one vs other chest protectors you've had? I'm currently in a medium CCM but the one i'm looking at is a Large with regular arms so I'm a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger. 

2 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

I actually saw your review on this right after I posted mine. How did you find the sizing of this one vs other chest protectors you've had? I'm currently in a medium CCM but the one i'm looking at is a Large with regular arms so I'm a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger. 

I've seen them come in 3 different fit profiles, Fit 2, Fit 3, and Fit 4.  Haven't noticed a huge difference between Fit 2 and 3.  Pick up one of those and you should be golden