Jump to content

Was it really that bad? Looking back on past Goalie/Goalie gear controversies.


GoalieInTheDesertYT
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/3/2022 at 8:44 PM, RichMan said:

The Onezie goalie helmet. It still hasn't made the market and I wonder if it ever will.

I spoke with the creator of the helmet last week. He said it's progressing and will be on the market soon. 

Over the past years he has told me about the effort and cost to bring a new item to market. It wasn't easy or cheap or fair or kind. God bless him for sticking to it as personally I would have gave up a long time ago.

His stories have given me a new perspective on any new stuff that is sold. If I don't like it, I just don't buy it. I'll never crap on something knowing that it takes some real effort to be there. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 4:05 AM, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

I am on the younger side of the site, I remember using thigh boards for a total of 5 practices before chucking them because of how annoying they are.

They were great for goalies that played in certain period of gear.

If you were taught and played when your pads were tucked under your legs and you let the puck hit your pants square up (like I did), these boards were AMAZING! They stopped the puck that always hit the gap between the pad top (we also wore short pads) and the bottom of your pants.

Pads then were designed to rotate and block better. Thigh boards kinda got in the way and died off.

But - for those that were playing in that time of pad design transition - they were killer.

Some were used like a ramp to help gobble up picks that were heading for the 5 hole.

Favorite Set Up of All Time - Page 4 - Gear - THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe not too controversial depending on how you look at it I suppose. I mean I make a lot of saves with the shaft of my stick. Whether that's a skill or just luck I'm not real sure.  

Montreal long goalie sticks. I used them and don't remember ever cutting them down.  They seemed very balanced.  

Is Timberwolf on this bb?

4000_jr.jpeg.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Scythe said:

Maybe not too controversial depending on how you look at it I suppose. I mean I make a lot of saves with the shaft of my stick. Whether that's a skill or just luck I'm not real sure.  

Montreal long goalie sticks. I used them and don't remember ever cutting them down.  They seemed very balanced.  

Is Timberwolf on this bb?

4000_jr.jpeg.jpg

Never used those but they were beautiful sticks.

I made so many saves with the top end of my stick in my 30+ years that it might as well be a statistic :D

I don't recall ever seeing Timber on here since I joined. Maybe @SaveByRichter35 can answer that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Scythe said:

Maybe not too controversial depending on how you look at it I suppose. I mean I make a lot of saves with the shaft of my stick. Whether that's a skill or just luck I'm not real sure.  

Montreal long goalie sticks. I used them and don't remember ever cutting them down.  They seemed very balanced.  

Is Timberwolf on this bb?

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Never used those but they were beautiful sticks.

I made so many saves with the top end of my stick in my 30+ years that it might as well be a statistic :D

I don't recall ever seeing Timber on here since I joined. Maybe @SaveByRichter35 can answer that one.

@timberwolf...nope.  Unless he goes by a different name here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was young, I saw a news report on a goalie stick that was being developed and was hoping for a legality ruling. 

It was called Hammerhead sticks if I remember correctly, basically had a small piece that jutted out on the heel (so the stick was like _\__ instead of \___) covering the post a bit better on your blocker side. Kinda made a lot of sense to me when I was young.

I can't find anything online, does anyone else remember them?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanna clarify once and for all that this skate was simply, an ordinary, crystal clear, unmistakable, frank as Frank Pietrangelo, a god-damn, mother f***in' PLAYER SKATE

Nowthen...

How do I know for sure? Well first of all I was working in retail hockey at that time when it was released. And I did ask our sales representative when I did see it that I was curious about removable tendon guard. He said the reason it was removable was because many hockey players have a bad habit of taking their skates off like their sneakers--using their toe against their heels to push it off and that over time weakens the guard and cuts/breaks it off. So they would start offering the replacements. Tendon guards are in place to protect from injury. And the option to remove it was like the option to remove the seatbelts from your car.

Soon enough I got questions about if we carried the "Mako goalie skate" and I straight up told customers it wasn't a goalie skate. Some accepted this answer and some fired back with the same old question of "Well why is the tendon guard removable, huh"? So the only way to know for sure was to check the catalog and sure enough, no where did it say that it was  convertible goalie skate. I also called up Mr. Jeff Sarginson who was our Easton sales representative at the time and told me that it was indeed not a goalie skate, not advertised as a goal skate, not intended to be used for goalie and not built or designed for goalies. Period.

There were still yo-yos out there who were convinced it'd be cute to buy a $600 skate and still have to spend another $100 or so to put a Graf cowling on. And that's fine but anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Scythe said:

I had a Boddam catcher for awhile in the same colors as those pads. Big ass frying pan glove. It was pretty good though.  

I have a Boddam catcher now, love it, and planning to order another. Dare I say, I like it more than my Factory MAD catcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, XCVII said:

I wanna clarify once and for all that this skate was simply, an ordinary, crystal clear, unmistakable, frank as Frank Pietrangelo, a god-damn, mother f***in' PLAYER SKATE

 

Nowthen...

 

How do I know for sure? Well first of all I was working in retail hockey at that time when it was released. And I did ask our sales representative when I did see it that I was curious about removable tendon guard. He said the reason it was removable was because many hockey players have a bad habit of taking their skates off like their sneakers--using their toe against their heels to push it off and that over time weakens the guard and cuts/breaks it off. So they would start offering the replacements. Tendon guards are in place to protect from injury. And the option to remove it was like the option to remove the seatbelts from your car.

Soon enough I got questions about if we carried the "Mako goalie skate" and I straight up told customers it wasn't a goalie skate. Some accepted this answer and some fired back with the same old question of "Well why is the tendon guard removable, huh"? So the only way to know for sure was to check the catalog and sure enough, no where did it say that it was  convertible goalie skate. I also called up Mr. Jeff Sarginson who was our Easton sales representative at the time and told me that it was indeed not a goalie skate, not advertised as a goal skate, not intended to be used for goalie and not built or designed for goalies. Period.

 

There were still yo-yos out there who were convinced it'd be cute to buy a $600 skate and still have to spend another $100 or so to put a Graf cowling on. And that's fine but anyway.

 

 

NextRapidIberianemeraldlizard-size_restr

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2022 at 9:09 AM, XCVII said:

I wanna clarify once and for all that this skate was simply, an ordinary, crystal clear, unmistakable, frank as Frank Pietrangelo, a god-damn, mother f***in' PLAYER SKATE

 

Nowthen...

 

How do I know for sure? Well first of all I was working in retail hockey at that time when it was released. And I did ask our sales representative when I did see it that I was curious about removable tendon guard. He said the reason it was removable was because many hockey players have a bad habit of taking their skates off like their sneakers--using their toe against their heels to push it off and that over time weakens the guard and cuts/breaks it off. So they would start offering the replacements. Tendon guards are in place to protect from injury. And the option to remove it was like the option to remove the seatbelts from your car.

Soon enough I got questions about if we carried the "Mako goalie skate" and I straight up told customers it wasn't a goalie skate. Some accepted this answer and some fired back with the same old question of "Well why is the tendon guard removable, huh"? So the only way to know for sure was to check the catalog and sure enough, no where did it say that it was  convertible goalie skate. I also called up Mr. Jeff Sarginson who was our Easton sales representative at the time and told me that it was indeed not a goalie skate, not advertised as a goal skate, not intended to be used for goalie and not built or designed for goalies. Period.

 

There were still yo-yos out there who were convinced it'd be cute to buy a $600 skate and still have to spend another $100 or so to put a Graf cowling on. And that's fine but anyway.

 

 

ironically, basically taking the tendon guard off the player skate is what we have now as goalies skates

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 4:28 PM, johncho said:

When I was young, I saw a news report on a goalie stick that was being developed and was hoping for a legality ruling. 

It was called Hammerhead sticks if I remember correctly, basically had a small piece that jutted out on the heel (so the stick was like _\__ instead of \___) covering the post a bit better on your blocker side. Kinda made a lot of sense to me when I was young.

I can't find anything online, does anyone else remember them?

I remember that!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...