Let's Talk Skates

43 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I've read a few guys thoughts on them in GGSU (for what thats worth...) and they seem to well liked and perform well.  I previously used the Goaler Pros and couldn't adjust to their feel or the shorter blade (coming from Bauers).

The DM1080 and the AS1 Tack really have me intrigued tho!

That's exactly my dilemma since I have Bauers but I'm due for an upgrade. I feel like the shorter blades would feel more agile. Would love to take a pair for a spin

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

That's exactly my dilemma since I have Bauers but I'm due for an upgrade. I feel like the shorter blades would feel more agile. Would love to take a pair for a spin

I have reactor 6000 and just upgraded earlier this year to black steel. I absolutely love them but I'm curious about the cowlingless or reduced cowling skates out there. From both a comfort and attack angle perspective

2 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

Did you know this cowling is one of the very few Step does NOT make an extreme blade for? It’s higher than you think...

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I have reactor 6000 and just upgraded earlier this year to black steel. I absolutely love them but I'm curious about the cowlingless or reduced cowling skates out there. From both a comfort and attack angle perspective

What's the main difference between regular and black? I thought it was strictly cosmetic

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Did you knowthis cowling is one of the very few Step does NOT make an extreme blade for? It’s higher than you think...

It's not the height I'm concerned with but the length of the blade. Having them slightly higher than older Grafs is probably a good thing seeing I'm in Bauers now

1 minute ago, Datsyuk92 said:

What's the main difference between regular and black? I thought it was strictly cosmetic

It's not the height I'm concerned with but the length of the blade. Having them slightly higher than older Grafs is probably a good thing seeing I'm in Bauers now

Ah- lengthwise, not heightwise! 

The black is a coating that further hardens the blade.

3 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

Part of it is the coating on the blade... Allegedly they hold the edge longer... I've only been thru 2 sharpenings so far... Love them

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Ah- lengthwise, not heightwise! 

The black is a coating that further hardens the blade.

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Part of it is the coating on the blade... Allegedly they hold the edge longer... I've only been thru 2 sharpenings so far... Love them

Sounds like a nice upgrade from my regular StepSteel blades. Thanks for the info guys

53 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

When you already have VH skates but recently tried on the Vapor 1X and can't get them out of your mind

Frustration-630x419.jpg

I am expecting this to get some HATE HATE HATE... People love their True skates. 

What about the 1X has you considering a change?

34 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

31 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

Sounds like a nice upgrade from my regular StepSteel blades. Thanks for the info guys

I picked up a set of Tydans w/ DLC and love them. Better steel than the stock Bauer 3G in the first place, but the addition of DLC coating lets me go longer between sharpenings and really reduces the effect of kicking posts. 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I am expecting this to get some HATE HATE HATE... People love their True skates. 

What about the 1X has you considering a change?

I first glimpse they're just really pretty. But then putting them on was "wow".

7 hours ago, Datsyuk92 said:

Wouldn't your VHs be more comfortable since they're made specifically for you?

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Wow, how? More comfortable than your True? Lighter than your True? 

First of all I wana point out I NEVER said they were "more" of anything or better or compare them to what I got.

What I was getting at was that I put them on and I was very impressed. Same as when I first put on the Sportmask Professional Series mask for the first time - I wasn't looking to change masks, I was very happy with what I had up until that point in time. And yes, I eventually sold off all my Protechsport masks and went into Sportmask.

That doesn't mean I'm prepared to sell off my VH skates and switch. Maybe I will? But maybe not. I'm not suggesting anything here. If I wasn't in the market for new skates, I definitely would take a closer look at the Vapor 1X and give it some serious consideration. As I said, it was very impressive when I had it on. Very comfortable, extremely light good support, stiff in the right areas. It's a solid skate. And I'm typically NEVER on the side of giving Bauer praise. I'v just learned from working so many years in hockey to put your personal feelings aside and give credit where it's due.

Just now, Moose75 said:

I'm saying come to the dark side...get the 1x lol

Oohhhh. lol

Well, never say never I guess, crazy life right? Even if I wanted to REALLY buy those skates,  I have to think about the $1000+ I already spent on my VH skates knowing I won't get even half of that money back.

I was a long time Bauer molded tuuk cowling with over drive blade user. For the longest time I resisted switching to newer vertexx cowling. My biggest concern was around the 3mm steel. Last year I switched to the Bauer pro and loved it. What I noticed was the cowling notch allowed for deeper wider stances without fear of slip out, similar to results achieved by overdrive blades but without blade having to engage. After a year in vertexx cowling and seeing all the hype was true about them I kicked myself for waiting a decade to try newer technology. I then decided to take the full plunge and get up to date with technology. I purchased a pair of True 1 piece skates last month. True skates are as amazing as described. The fit, the molding process are light years beyond anything off the shelf.  The power the 1 piece skates deliver is nothing short of amazing. The step steel compliments the power well and I’ve had to drop down two sharpenings from a 3/8 in 4mm to 5/8 due to stiffness of boot and energy efficiency. The only real issue with the True skates is the carbon runner is prone to nicks and chips. After 9 days of ownership my skates developed a small hole in the carbon. My skate shop emailed True and they just told me to fill it with epoxy. So yes after dumping over $1k on skates you’re kind of on your own if there are any issues. It’s a bit scary but the performance is unreal. My lateral pushes and butterfly slides have increased easily by 25% in distance and efficiency. Also all foot pain is gone. An additional added benefit from the True skates is my legs don’t get as tired due to the increased stability from the skates. Good luck in your skate decisions if you’re anything like me you’ll end up asking yourself what took you so long to make the switch. 

5 hours ago, Harman said:

Im guessing no because of extra 2 rivets in middle of skate would only fit the tack pro skates

You could probably use them without the extra rivets or drill for the extra rivets. If it is a special fitting, you had better believe that it would be a replacement part. I don’t think it would be terribly complicated.

So again... I need to preface this because I don’t hate True skates or doubt their performance!!! I’m amazed with how quickly they have changed a lot of things in the industry. 

However, I feel compelled to back up some of my earlier comments so my opinions seem more grounded. 

True skates are made 1 by 1. Given that style of production, you’ll see some witness marks because they are not mass produced with identical components. Those witness marks make the fit & finish seem less polished than a Bauer or CCM

the new True 2 piece skates (NOT PICTURED) seem better so I imagine True is working on this 

57143190-E26B-4B9A-8D42-D481DA5930E4.jpeg

30B139CE-87DF-45C4-AFE2-008E45FB411E.jpeg

A4A7CF65-5C1C-42ED-B670-C9F4AA3BCB3F.jpeg

4A293B97-DF70-4035-AB48-43F51CB25554.jpeg

42CE4E81-0101-4C4C-9703-292765AD9A6B.jpeg

@TheGoalNet no doubt are you getting a hand-crafted, one at a time built skate. I would bet if they started building stock sizes, they would be a hell of a lot more purtier. What is happening is literally the holder has been grafted onto the boot. True most likely figures that you are not buying for beauty, but sheer performance. 

As an example of how hard it is to finish composites: very few of my items that I built from composite looked like a polished, production piece unless it were painted. For example- when I built a “raw” finished frame, I charged $300-500 extra over having an expert motorcycle painter paint it even with flip/flop paint (which was a very expensive finish). I tried steering customers to flip/flop over me trying to make an attractive “nude” finish. Tonnes of filler and cosmetic fabrics go into a “nude” finish. “nude” finish ended up heavier than paint on my bike frames and handlebars! I remember before selling my business that I was going to offer a customer a $200 discount if he opted out of the “nude” finish. My business was sold and the guy got his deposit returned. 

Archived