Necessity of Extra Blades

Rfmusso

Looking to get thoughts from the group on if having an extra set of skate blades in your bag is necessary. 

My concern is more around blades breaking than performance/edges etc. I’ve never broken a blade before but I cringe every time I hit the post. 

Currently in CCM FT480s with the stock XSG1 blades after a decade+ in Bauer Reactor 1000s

Absolutely not necessary.  Smart insurance decision? Yes.  Will you be able to change them out if needed if you keep some on hand?  Yes.

I've been playing for 25+ years and have not once, ever, had to stop playing because of a blade issue. 

I do have an extra set but I keep them at home when playing.  I have them, well, because they came with the skates I bought, but, because I like to change them out every 3 weeks, playing 3 times a week.  I get both my sets sharpened together and I have one of those blue Bauer cases for mine.   It works great. 

I keep an extra set in my bag but not for emergencies- I send mine out for profiling/sharpening so always have two sets in rotation when one needs to get mailed out.  Your skate blades will probably be the last piece of equipment that would break in-game.  

I'm not sure which adjustment screw the FT480's use to secure the blade, but I'd suggest getting a set of the metal screws if yours uses the plastic ones.  One of mine on my old CCM's boke mid-game and my blade wouldn't stay secured in the skate.  

https://www.icewarehouse.com/CCM_SpeedBlade_XS_Holder_Adjustment_Screw_Kit/descpage-CSHRP.html

Nah, never felt needed honestly. 

I have an extra set of blades kicking around my garage (unsharpened), but that's only because getting replacement blades of my Tack cowling, in my size, was getting rare and I wanted to ensure I had a backup set to keep my skates going. 

I could see some use if you're playing travel hockey, or high tier hockey.

But for Beer League? I'll survive. 

56 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nah, never felt needed honestly. 

I have an extra set of blades kicking around my garage (unsharpened), but that's only because getting replacement blades of my Tack cowling, in my size, was getting rare and I wanted to ensure I had a backup set to keep my skates going. 

I could see some use if you're playing travel hockey, or high tier hockey.

But for Beer League? I'll survive. 

Good point, I bring my extra set to tournaments.

It’s recommended for sure… the only problem I had was with byonic. You have to be careful about when it’s time to stop using a set. I took a shot off the blade after around a year of using them and didn’t notice one had snapped in 3 places until I got off the ice lol. 

I wouldn’t say you have to have a spare but you have to buy a new set once and a while. I currently use bladetech and they’re the best I’ve used. But they cost a bit of money so I only have one pair of them as of now lol

Thanks All!

I think you’ve gotten me over my fear of breaking a blade on the ice. I’ve only seen it happen to a player once and never to a goalie.

thanks for the tip @jerd31 on the screw. I’ll take a look at mine tomorrow but I remember it feeling flimsy the few times I’ve taken my blades out.

Now I need to talk myself out of getting a second set of blades to experiment with profiling 🙂

I've had a team mate snap a blade once.  I don't remember how.  Luckily for him the pro shop was still open so he just bought a new set on the spot and had them sharpened.  For all of you saying you have a spare set but don't keep them in your bag, you may as well.  If you already have them ready to go then why not have them on hand just in case?  I don't have a spare set of steel.  If I did, and they were sharpened and profiled and ready to go, they would be in my bag.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've had a team mate snap a blade once.  I don't remember how.  Luckily for him the pro shop was still open so he just bought a new set on the spot and had them sharpened.  For all of you saying you have a spare set but don't keep them in your bag, you may as well.  If you already have them ready to go then why not have them on hand just in case?  I don't have a spare set of steel.  If I did, and they were sharpened and profiled and ready to go, they would be in my bag.  

All of games are way past pro-shop hours so the thought of being on ice down a blade sits in the back of my mind and is pushing me to get a second set *just* in case. I don't think I need step-steel or bladetech of anything fancy, just steel.

• Like 1

For player and goalie, I have a spare set of steel in my bag. I would rather have it available and not need it, than need it and not have it. I've only ever switched my blades once (goalie) when I was driven into the post so hard it put a dent in the edges. Could barely skate on that blade. Burnt our only timeout to swap the blades and was right back into the game.

Plus, it's nice to drop a set off to the proshop and put my others in. When the ones on the skate need work, I always swap out. Don't want one set getting wore down and the other being nice and new, throwing off my game. Both sets are kept as close as possible.