CCM Axis 2 Set - Total Custom Pro - Initial Impressions

ZeroGravitas

I wasn't planning on writing this originally, but the forum post lamenting the lack of activity on these boards made me want to do something to generate some discussion.

New for 2022 is CCM's Axis 2 line. It was highly anticipated by yours truly because I was interested in how they would incorporate their new knee system - dubbed Dynamic Response System Pro by CCM. Also new for this year is the launch of CCM's new custom program. CCM now offers tiers of custom - Total Custom and Total Custom Pro. We won't talk about All Out here - that is essentially Total Custom Pro with a custom graphic.

With Total Custom, you get reduced custom options at a slight (inflationary?) increase in price over the prior CCM release - the Extreme Flex 5. Essentially, you're paying more for less. Less custom options and less color/material options.

With Total Custom Pro, you get the full custom options that you're accustomed to from prior CCM releases at an additional cost: +$50USD over TC for the catcher, +$50USD over TC for the blocker, +$100 USD over TC for the leg pads.

The big draw with TCP is that your equipment is to Pro-Spec, which includes the lace on the inner landing edge. But a bummer is that you don't truly get all of the custom options. For example, the pros get some custom options with EFlex that us mortals cannot get, such as having options beyond Control Rebound or Max Rebound, or getting Soft/Stiff options for the pad flex.

Even with TCP, you cannot choose a Face Foam Option - you'll be stuck with MaxRebound+. In my opinion, this is understandable as a retail stock option and even as a Total Custom option (should have renamed this custom tier though...), but not at the Total Custom Pro level.

FaceFoam.thumb.png.1f65c129ad2ed988fc241ecff1ececbc.png

FlexOptions.png.b1620594b90264a0c0500664f24d3920.png

But enough yammering. Let's get to the gear.

Full disclosure: I am employed at a hockey store and paid less than retail for this equipment. All thoughts are my own, malformed and pulled from my ass, and not my employer’s. As far as I know, CCM does not know or care who I am - though with my obnoxious colorways, I have no doubt they could find me and pee-pee whack me. I have no relationship with CCM beyond working at a retail store and selling their (and other manufacturer's) equipment.

1762523591_20220906_181918(Large).thumb.jpg.180892b008d7543e3224b7fdff4b45d6.jpg

Leg Pads

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Knee Cradle

Recessed Foam w/ Removable Knee Wrap

Changeable with Total Custom Pro only.

Toe Arrangement

HD Toe Bridge w/ Bungee Lace

Additional options with TCP. TC has optional skate lace.

Knee Landing

3D Grip

3D Grip

Changeable with Total Custom Pro only (Suregrip).

Flex Options

Pre Curved/Single Break Core/No Outer Break

TC allows same as stock, but with a single external break. TCP allows numerous options.

Knee Strap Option

No (Leather) Strap, 2" Elastic Only

TC allows a leather strap below knee. TCP allows a leather strap at the knee.

Inside Leg Channel and Calf Strap Options

Loose FIT QMSS

Tight Fit QMSS

TC allows Loose and Tight fits with QMSS or with 2 leather straps. TCP allows numerous options.

Leg and Boot Channel

Shallow Soft

Shallow Soft

Boot Strap Options

No Strap

Under Heel Angle

Thigh Protector Tab

No Lace Tab

No Lace Tab

I ordered my set as a 33+1.5 with all white weave, except the landing area, which is red weave, and the center zone, which could only be Speedskin or Jenpro. Surprisingly, the CCM customizer let me do tone-on-tone for the logos so I ran with that. I think it came out pretty solid.

I never wore Axis 1, but these pads are stiff. CCM literature states it's approximately twice as stiff as Axis 1 and that the knee landing, with the introduction of the DRS Pro knee, is about 4 times stiffer. Meanwhile boot stiffness is only slightly stiffer than Axis 1.

But even with all that stiffness, rebounds off these pads are nothing like Mach. Sometimes shots seem to die a foot away from the pad, or right next to the pad. Mach seems to send everything away with a vengeance. I've absolutely let goals in that Mach could have saved me from.

That said, I appreciate the S-curve on these pads as it definitely helps me close the five hole better than Mach.

1655828151_20220906_181031(Large).thumb.jpg.ce1d0fe00c7545778984f3bb052f6854.jpg

209856772_20220906_181038(Large).thumb.jpg.3d75fce2c11c12bc8a706e578fccbb64.jpg

A big surprise to me was that the boot strap came as a leather strap instead of the QK5 strap that came with older CCM models.

1070880825_20220906_181130(Large).thumb.jpg.01db18acc48122979fa42640809c4d37.jpg

852358765_20220906_181046(Large).thumb.jpg.e00a9f65eff4f07b3d1951dd910c6c91.jpg

Here, you can see the mismatch of colors between the white Speedskin and the white weave.

1647176350_20220906_181059(Large).thumb.jpg.7a6924d181650f1d51b7395019a3aaa1.jpg

Below is the DRS Pro knee. Instead of having a wedge integrated with the knee block like Bauer and inserted into the core of the pad, CCM has a stiff wing built into the side of the pad, which is Velcro'd to the knee stack.

524976490_20220906_181259(Large).thumb.jpg.42d0435386ecd68bbd15c589b2c9bb4d.jpg

The inside edge of the pad, with the telltale lace in the inner gusset. The foams used on the landing area are very stiff. Sliding is pretty good. I'd say about 70-75% of CORTech sliding. How of that is up to the weave and how much of that is up the stiffened landing area foams? Who knows!

1433746708_20220906_181417(Large).thumb.jpg.f3fab187527b68d990f6de938aaeba17.jpg

Catcher

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Palm Size

SR/Regular

SR/Regular

Cuff/Thumb Options (Break)

591 One-Piece

580 One-Piece

Tee Pocket

Double Tee

Double Tee

Palm Material

AX Suregrip Grey

AX Suregrip Grey

Hand Position

Pinky Loop

No Pinky Loop

With Pinky Loop

Stiffness

Game Ready

Pro

I ordered a 580 catcher. Mostly because I was tired of customers asking me what a 580 was like and not having something to let t hem try on. Closure was, surprisingly very good out of the box. I threw it in a baseball glove steamer and worked it in. It was much easier to use out of the box compared to my Bauer Mach - which also has a pro palm. Using it has not been a big adjustment from the 600-esque closure on the Bauer Mach. The pocket seems huge and it really feels like it just gobbles up pucks. Minor quality nitpick - there is some excess black thread in the tee - you can see it in the first picture below.

273393795_20220906_180708(Large).thumb.jpg.5dcd068a85e356e100ea31e88cebeec2.jpg

If you opt for any break besides the 591 break, you do not get the new backhand and new strapping system, so I can't comment on the new Cross Form strapping system.

1033444035_20220906_180721(Large).thumb.jpg.d1085c26ddd418759f09b23ebe0e3a48.jpg

My custom order seems says that I specced for AX Suede Suregrip Grey, but I seem to have gotten the Beige?

1103922669_20220906_180738(Large).thumb.jpg.96ea303a3bad71617cc6c3ad10ac35a2.jpg

Blocker

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Palm Size

SR/Regular

SR/Regular

SR/XL is available with TCP.

Palm Material

AX Suede W/ Black Palm

AX Suede W/ Black Palm

Finger Protection

Curved Finger Protection

Straight Finger Protection

Hand Fit Options

Regular

Regular

Blocker feels pretty good on the hand. The palm does feel tightened up over prior CCM models, taking a page out of Bauer's book. The palm isn't quite as tight/luxurious feeling as a Bauer palm, though.

Overall, performance so far is kind of middling. It does not shoot out rebounds like a Bauer blocker does.

2123757688_20220906_180802(Large).thumb.jpg.ccefb07eef57c6d9860ed2f2ddeec349.jpg1321622273_20220906_180810(Large).thumb.jpg.a23a19e037ef1e69f825c326f046cfd8.jpg

The new sidewall construction is very stiff. They have some very stiff foams in the black weave part of the photo below.

911726247_20220906_180814(Large).thumb.jpg.a0bb839aab4b63d11901f40e4d6c7167.jpg

I've been missing the blocker cuff, which Mach eliminated.You are able to change tightness of the cuff by Velcroing both sides of the cuff - the piece that has the Polygiene tag and the opposite side are Velcro'd in.

86122394_20220906_180830(Large).thumb.jpg.ddb251f0bd5271066ccac4d2d90d45a1.jpg

Minor nitpicks with the quality, see below.

1751733725_20220906_180944(Large).thumb.jpg.a29d2c6f23e3fee14958591c8157cddb.jpg1257053279_20220906_180952(Large).thumb.jpg.1cf59df98de945c392f3703a0651cd3f.jpg

Let me know if you any questions or want additional pictures! A long-term review is unlikely to follow.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

It might be the same palm material setup as 591 where they use beige in the cuff section but grey suregrip everywhere else. 

You're right. Beige in the cuff section and grey suregrip where the fingers are. Good catch!

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I remember being fairly impressed with the Axis 2 legpads when I saw them in store at first. It felt like the first real departure from the Lefebvre name for them as a company.

I agree and that's why I never bothered to get an Axis 1 set when they first came out. They didn't seem like a true departure from anything CCM/Lefevre had done before - they seemed like a stiffer EFlex with an ugly graphic.

But I guess I'm pretty hypocritical about "departing from a Lefevre design" when I'm wearing a 580 catcher...

Set looks good, aside from that HORRENDOUS black stitching that's barely poking out. 

I'd send them back. ;) 

My 'tism can't help it!

Just now, ZeroGravitas said:

I agree and that's why I never bothered to get an Axis 1 set when they first came out. They didn't seem like a true departure from anything CCM/Lefevre had done before - they seemed like a stiffer EFlex with an ugly graphic.

That Axis 1 graphic was rough. 

But I guess I'm pretty hypocritical about "departing from a Lefevre design" when I'm wearing a 580 catcher...

I rag on CCM/True gloves and blockers a ton because I can't stand them, but the 591 just felt so wrong to me. I'd happily use a standard 590 over it. 

Not gonna lie... when I saw the first picture of the set as a whole... the color scheme you chose coupled with the tonal logos was curious to me... to say the least. But after seeing the close-ups I'd agree it turned out well. Good to see the touch of gold with the embroidery and contrasting stitchwork. 

Your functional specs of course are right in line with what I would have chosen. While the stiffness and rebounds aren't what you've experienced with Mach... I'll be interested to hear how well the stiffness Axis2 does have holds up. My Axis1 set has softened up at the thigh from last year as you'd expect them to, but they're still performing well. 

Also... when will we get a video of @ZeroGravitas with a shaved head and a tie showing us how he uses a baseball glove steamer like this guy?? A carabiner with your keys attached clipped to a belt loop is also an absolute must.

20 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That Axis 1 graphic was rough. 

I rag on CCM/True gloves and blockers a ton because I can't stand them, but the 591 just felt so wrong to me. I'd happily use a standard 590 over it. 

I loved the Axis 1 graphic, but mainly because I'm a University of Michigan fan, so I made sure the "M" portion of the graphic stood out in maize and blue.    Naturally, living in Columbus, OH (home of U of M's big rival the Buttguys) I caught tons of crap for it, but that's half the fun of a rivalry.

I haven't tried on the 591, but I've never liked a V style closure.   I get that stingers can be more of an issue with a U style closure, but it's just more natural and easier to close.

14 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Not gonna lie... when I saw the first picture of the set as a whole... the color scheme you chose coupled with the tonal logos was curious to me... to say the least. But after seeing the close-ups I'd agree it turned out well. Good to see the touch of gold with the embroidery and contrasting stitchwork. 

Your functional specs of course are right in line with what I would have chosen. While the stiffness and rebounds aren't what you've experienced with Mach... I'll be interested to hear how well the stiffness Axis2 does have holds up. My Axis1 set has softened up at the thigh from last year as you'd expect them to, but they're still performing well. 

Also... when will we get a video of @ZeroGravitas with a shaved head and a tie showing us how he uses a baseball glove steamer like this guy?? A carabiner with your keys attached clipped to a belt loop is also an absolute must.

My Axis 1 curved a little as well on top which I'm not complaining to be honest, I like it.. and rebounds still kick fairly well. My 2s should be in soon, can't wait. 

On 9/16/2022 at 6:27 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Subtract the tie and it's not too far off from the store uniform. No go on the shaved head though, wife would kill me.

I was messing around with the customizer pre-release and couldn't figure out a color scheme/design that I liked, so I just went all white. I had been wanting to go back to a white-based design for a long time now. I was more interested in getting the order submitted ASAP than I was concerned with anything else; I had heard some horror stories about CCM wait times, plus I had a feeling I wouldn't like them as much as my Bauers. That said, I think I do like the 580 catcher more than the Bauer catcher.

Axis 2 is quite a bit stiffer than Axis 1, so hopefully no one will see any premature breakdown.

Axis2Changes.thumb.png.303a5d69518dec1f39c413f73a98678d.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I had a feeling that the new QMMS system would be an issue because of how tight the velcro strap is, without the extra give which restricted the crap out of me after my first use.  I was tired AF after 30 minutes and getting exhausted due to the restriction. Not to mention that my upper calf area isn't that big. 

I started taking big pillows and wrapping them around my pads hoping it will get looser. 

How did you find it?

Overall the pads are great, harder rebounds vs the Axis 1, better seal on the butterfly. My game ready glove though feels like a Pro and a little stiffer. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982

Which QMSS strap do you mean?

My (minor) issues are that the knee strap coming out of the knee block seems/feels a little short when strapping below the knee.

My boot strap has deteriorated quite a bit. It looks like CCM uses some kind of colored sticker applied to the leather boot strap, but the sticker quickly lost adhesiveness and has come off, leaving parts of the boot strap naked.

I haven't touched my Machs since I got these.... despite Mach giving better rebounds (and slide, but I modified them with vinyl so that's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison). I do feel like shots off the pads and blocker kind of "flutter" or wobble away at noticeably reduced velocity. With Bauer, pucks seem to rocket off and maintain the velocity they had coming in, and the trajectory is much more consistent and seldom flutter-y. The 580 catcher has been awesome for me. If Bauer ever offered a 580 at retail/retail custom...

26 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Which QMSS strap do you mean?

My (minor) issues are that the knee strap coming out of the knee block seems/feels a little short when strapping below the knee.

My boot strap has deteriorated quite a bit. It looks like CCM uses some kind of colored sticker applied to the leather boot strap, but the sticker quickly lost adhesiveness and has come off, leaving parts of the boot strap naked.

I haven't touched my Machs since I got these.... despite Mach giving better rebounds (and slide, but I modified them with vinyl so that's not quite an apples-to-apples comparison). I do feel like shots off the pads and blocker kind of "flutter" or wobble away at noticeably reduced velocity. With Bauer, pucks seem to rocket off and maintain the velocity they had coming in, and the trajectory is much more consistent and seldom flutter-y. The 580 catcher has been awesome for me. If Bauer ever offered a 580 at retail/retail custom...

The new QMSS2, like you have and me. Below the knee, it's too damn short.... I'm trying to stretch it out when it's sitting at home by strapping them on larger objects. 

I feel a bit of that wobble if it hits sqare on my butterfly but they are stiffer throughout vs the Axis 1. I do feel shoots a little weider too vs the Axis1. 

I ended up without the boot strap. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982

On 10/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

The new QMSS2, like you have and me. Below the knee, it's too damn short.... I'm trying to stretch it out when it's sitting at home by strapping them on larger objects. 

I feel a bit of that wobble if it hits sqare on my butterfly but they are stiffer throughout vs the Axis 1. I do feel shoots a little weider too vs the Axis1. 

I ended up without the boot strap. 

I skated for the first time in a couple of weeks - was busy with work - and I think I see what you mean. The strap itself is long, but maybe they don't give us quite enough velcro.

23 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

For the updated QMSS, I found the pad is sitting higher off my skate. It's not a bad thing, like the strapping, but frustrating that my pads play too large now. If I had to do a re-order, I would order a smaller size.

You're right they do sit taller, but when I drop I have no issues, I kinda like this. I ordered the same size as the Axis1. 

@ZeroGravitas I would like a longer strap and maybe more velcro. I was able to stretch out the strap though and my 3rd game was better. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:35 PM, mr_shifty1982 said:

You're right they do sit taller, but when I drop I have no issues, I kinda like this. I ordered the same size as the Axis1. 

@ZeroGravitas I would like a longer strap and maybe more velcro. I was able to stretch out the strap though and my 3rd game was better. 

This chatter is actually inspiring me. I might try to make an extension to make them sit more like Axis 1.

My main issue is getting in and out of RVH or sort of 1/2 recovering. When I am in some scrunched positions, the pads interfere with pants and C&A. I can get through skates, but I am just not comfortable with it and would prefer a shorter version of this pad given the choice.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

Didn't realize I never posted a photo of this - here's a picture of the wear on the boot strap. This is happening to both pads.

Happened to both pads within 10 skates. The red color is kind of plastic-y and I assume it is glued to the leather boot strap, but it comes off very easily.

20221217_131020.thumb.jpg.528604d6856053b6d2714bf89461ab1e.jpg

Have you tried ditching it? I wore it on all my pads the last 11 years. While I had my Axis 1 I just took it off, haven't looked back. 

22 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Have you tried ditching it? I wore it on all my pads the last 11 years. While I had my Axis 1 I just took it off, haven't looked back. 

Yeah, I'm not big on the boot strap. I only order it because I have the Kenesky pad carrying strap and it makes carrying the pads super easy. I will probably end up removing the boot strap itself and keeping the buckle.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

I wasn't planning on writing this originally, but the forum post lamenting the lack of activity on these boards made me want to do something to generate some discussion.

New for 2022 is CCM's Axis 2 line. It was highly anticipated by yours truly because I was interested in how they would incorporate their new knee system - dubbed Dynamic Response System Pro by CCM. Also new for this year is the launch of CCM's new custom program. CCM now offers tiers of custom - Total Custom and Total Custom Pro. We won't talk about All Out here - that is essentially Total Custom Pro with a custom graphic.

With Total Custom, you get reduced custom options at a slight (inflationary?) increase in price over the prior CCM release - the Extreme Flex 5. Essentially, you're paying more for less. Less custom options and less color/material options.

With Total Custom Pro, you get the full custom options that you're accustomed to from prior CCM releases at an additional cost: +$50USD over TC for the catcher, +$50USD over TC for the blocker, +$100 USD over TC for the leg pads.

The big draw with TCP is that your equipment is to Pro-Spec, which includes the lace on the inner landing edge. But a bummer is that you don't truly get all of the custom options. For example, the pros get some custom options with EFlex that us mortals cannot get, such as having options beyond Control Rebound or Max Rebound, or getting Soft/Stiff options for the pad flex.

Even with TCP, you cannot choose a Face Foam Option - you'll be stuck with MaxRebound+. In my opinion, this is understandable as a retail stock option and even as a Total Custom option (should have renamed this custom tier though...), but not at the Total Custom Pro level.

FaceFoam.thumb.png.1f65c129ad2ed988fc241ecff1ececbc.png

FlexOptions.png.b1620594b90264a0c0500664f24d3920.png

But enough yammering. Let's get to the gear.

Full disclosure: I am employed at a hockey store and paid less than retail for this equipment. All thoughts are my own, malformed and pulled from my ass, and not my employer’s. As far as I know, CCM does not know or care who I am - though with my obnoxious colorways, I have no doubt they could find me and pee-pee whack me. I have no relationship with CCM beyond working at a retail store and selling their (and other manufacturer's) equipment.

1762523591_20220906_181918(Large).thumb.jpg.180892b008d7543e3224b7fdff4b45d6.jpg

Leg Pads

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Knee Cradle

Toe Arrangement

Additional options with TCP. TC has optional skate lace.

Knee Landing

3D Grip

3D Grip

Changeable with Total Custom Pro only (Suregrip).

Flex Options

TC allows same as stock, but with a single external break. TCP allows numerous options.

Knee Strap Option

TC allows a leather strap below knee. TCP allows a leather strap at the knee.

Inside Leg Channel and Calf Strap Options

Loose FIT QMSS

Tight Fit QMSS

TC allows Loose and Tight fits with QMSS or with 2 leather straps. TCP allows numerous options.

Leg and Boot Channel

Shallow Soft

Shallow Soft

Boot Strap Options

No Strap

Under Heel Angle

Thigh Protector Tab

No Lace Tab

No Lace Tab

I ordered my set as a 33+1.5 with all white weave, except the landing area, which is red weave, and the center zone, which could only be Speedskin or Jenpro. Surprisingly, the CCM customizer let me do tone-on-tone for the logos so I ran with that. I think it came out pretty solid.

I never wore Axis 1, but these pads are stiff. CCM literature states it's approximately twice as stiff as Axis 1 and that the knee landing, with the introduction of the DRS Pro knee, is about 4 times stiffer. Meanwhile boot stiffness is only slightly stiffer than Axis 1.

But even with all that stiffness, rebounds off these pads are nothing like Mach. Sometimes shots seem to die a foot away from the pad, or right next to the pad. Mach seems to send everything away with a vengeance. I've absolutely let goals in that Mach could have saved me from.

That said, I appreciate the S-curve on these pads as it definitely helps me close the five hole better than Mach.

1655828151_20220906_181031(Large).thumb.jpg.ce1d0fe00c7545778984f3bb052f6854.jpg

209856772_20220906_181038(Large).thumb.jpg.3d75fce2c11c12bc8a706e578fccbb64.jpg

A big surprise to me was that the boot strap came as a leather strap instead of the QK5 strap that came with older CCM models.

1070880825_20220906_181130(Large).thumb.jpg.01db18acc48122979fa42640809c4d37.jpg

852358765_20220906_181046(Large).thumb.jpg.e00a9f65eff4f07b3d1951dd910c6c91.jpg

Here, you can see the mismatch of colors between the white Speedskin and the white weave.

1647176350_20220906_181059(Large).thumb.jpg.7a6924d181650f1d51b7395019a3aaa1.jpg

Below is the DRS Pro knee. Instead of having a wedge integrated with the knee block like Bauer and inserted into the core of the pad, CCM has a stiff wing built into the side of the pad, which is Velcro'd to the knee stack.

524976490_20220906_181259(Large).thumb.jpg.42d0435386ecd68bbd15c589b2c9bb4d.jpg

The inside edge of the pad, with the telltale lace in the inner gusset. The foams used on the landing area are very stiff. Sliding is pretty good. I'd say about 70-75% of CORTech sliding. How of that is up to the weave and how much of that is up the stiffened landing area foams? Who knows!

1433746708_20220906_181417(Large).thumb.jpg.f3fab187527b68d990f6de938aaeba17.jpg

Catcher

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Palm Size

SR/Regular

SR/Regular

Cuff/Thumb Options (Break)

591 One-Piece

580 One-Piece

Tee Pocket

Double Tee

Double Tee

Palm Material

AX Suregrip Grey

AX Suregrip Grey

Hand Position

Pinky Loop

No Pinky Loop

With Pinky Loop

Stiffness

Game Ready

Pro

I ordered a 580 catcher. Mostly because I was tired of customers asking me what a 580 was like and not having something to let t hem try on. Closure was, surprisingly very good out of the box. I threw it in a baseball glove steamer and worked it in. It was much easier to use out of the box compared to my Bauer Mach - which also has a pro palm. Using it has not been a big adjustment from the 600-esque closure on the Bauer Mach. The pocket seems huge and it really feels like it just gobbles up pucks. Minor quality nitpick - there is some excess black thread in the tee - you can see it in the first picture below.

273393795_20220906_180708(Large).thumb.jpg.5dcd068a85e356e100ea31e88cebeec2.jpg

If you opt for any break besides the 591 break, you do not get the new backhand and new strapping system, so I can't comment on the new Cross Form strapping system.

1033444035_20220906_180721(Large).thumb.jpg.d1085c26ddd418759f09b23ebe0e3a48.jpg

My custom order seems says that I specced for AX Suede Suregrip Grey, but I seem to have gotten the Beige?

1103922669_20220906_180738(Large).thumb.jpg.96ea303a3bad71617cc6c3ad10ac35a2.jpg

Blocker

Category

Retail/Stock Option

My Specs

Notes

Palm Size

SR/Regular

SR/Regular

SR/XL is available with TCP.

Palm Material

AX Suede W/ Black Palm

AX Suede W/ Black Palm

Finger Protection

Curved Finger Protection

Straight Finger Protection

Hand Fit Options

Regular

Regular

Blocker feels pretty good on the hand. The palm does feel tightened up over prior CCM models, taking a page out of Bauer's book. The palm isn't quite as tight/luxurious feeling as a Bauer palm, though.

Overall, performance so far is kind of middling. It does not shoot out rebounds like a Bauer blocker does.

2123757688_20220906_180802(Large).thumb.jpg.ccefb07eef57c6d9860ed2f2ddeec349.jpg1321622273_20220906_180810(Large).thumb.jpg.a23a19e037ef1e69f825c326f046cfd8.jpg

The new sidewall construction is very stiff. They have some very stiff foams in the black weave part of the photo below.

911726247_20220906_180814(Large).thumb.jpg.a0bb839aab4b63d11901f40e4d6c7167.jpg

I've been missing the blocker cuff, which Mach eliminated.You are able to change tightness of the cuff by Velcroing both sides of the cuff - the piece that has the Polygiene tag and the opposite side are Velcro'd in.

86122394_20220906_180830(Large).thumb.jpg.ddb251f0bd5271066ccac4d2d90d45a1.jpg

Minor nitpicks with the quality, see below.

1751733725_20220906_180944(Large).thumb.jpg.a29d2c6f23e3fee14958591c8157cddb.jpg1257053279_20220906_180952(Large).thumb.jpg.1cf59df98de945c392f3703a0651cd3f.jpg

Let me know if you any questions or want additional pictures! A long-term review is unlikely to follow.

Is there a way to spec these pads for harder rebounds?