Your Plans for 2022-2023 Year?

Fullright

On 9/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just hope to keep playing this season.  I've been in another rut where I just don't care to play.  Would rather be home with the wife and kids.  My team is going to play in Lake Placid in December.  I have always wanted to do that.  I can't make it and it doesn't even bother me.  

Placid, is it for the CHE Enterprise tournament ?

We went there before shit hit the fan and won the tourny in the 35+ division. It was a nice tournament, we had a lot of fun also after the games :P

Edited by HellCrow
  • Like 1

Ok sooo for my part, 2022-2023 plans are simple.

Just ended my crazy superbike photography season at my local track. Did around 25 events since mid-may. So I'll gladly take a rest during winter and shoot other things.

Playing with my official NWO Wolfpack team in a league where there is enough teams that you dont play often against the same, so it's almost always a new team. Also playing on saturday noon in a competitive but friendly pickup league where teams are ALWAYS even. I dont know how he does it, but it's the first time I see this :) He knows his players I suppose.

Also working on being the official photographer for the new LNAH team that arrived this year. Already photographed 2 pre-season games and got solid photos and very nice comments from the people around the organization and spectators also. Hoping the organization can find a bit of money for me.

Here are a few photos of their last game, if you are interested : 

https://www.facebook.com/Alexandre.Poitras.Photographe/posts/pfbid0KeJyb6MA6WLDV3gksFiepR1VJgyJMKGnLW1Eh4BjFk1eLaGLvK6VdCRwHh5FNQCAl

Scaling back this year.  Last year played 6 times per week, including back to back Thursday night/Friday morning that were both higher caliber.  At 51 years old, and shitty knees, it became more of a chore than enjoyable by about January.  Will keep playing Thursday nights, and Sunday nights.  That's enough days off for my body to recover.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, chile57 said:

@southpawtendy48 - HA - depending on how it is in your neck of the woods I didn't want to assume beer league was "competitive" so I was lumping all the other stuff outside of that realm. Either way - good luck mending up (and hope your pops is in a much better spot today than months ago).

Well, competitiveness varies even in adult league, even still it’s a good and fun challenge for me more often than not.

And thanks for the last comment, he is doing way better these days :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HellCrow said:

Ok sooo for my part, 2022-2023 plans are simple.

Just ended my crazy superbike photography season at my local track. Did around 25 events since mid-may. So I'll gladly take a rest during winter and shoot other things.

Playing with my official NWO Wolfpack team in a league where there is enough teams that you dont play often against the same, so it's almost always a new team. Also playing on saturday noon in a competitive but friendly pickup league where teams are ALWAYS even. I dont know how he does it, but it's the first time I see this :) He knows his players I suppose.

Also working on being the official photographer for the new LNAH team that arrived this year. Already photographed 2 pre-season games and got solid photos and very nice comments from the people around the organization and spectators also. Hoping the organization can find a bit of money for me.

Here are a few photos of their last game, if you are interested : 

https://www.facebook.com/Alexandre.Poitras.Photographe/posts/pfbid0KeJyb6MA6WLDV3gksFiepR1VJgyJMKGnLW1Eh4BjFk1eLaGLvK6VdCRwHh5FNQCAl

Bon travail mon homme! If the LNAH would get it together, they could be the SPHL/FPHL of Quebec.

7 hours ago, Naz said:

Scaling back this year.  Last year played 6 times per week, including back to back Thursday night/Friday morning that were both higher caliber.  At 51 years old, and shitty knees, it became more of a chore than enjoyable by about January.  Will keep playing Thursday nights, and Sunday nights.  That's enough days off for my body to recover.

Hell, you're playing more than most 30 year old I've come across over the decades! I think cutting back to 2-3 games a week at our age gives us ample time for recovery and physical maintenance ;) 

• Like 3

Pretty eventful summer for me, got married in July and wife and I are closing on our new house next week.  Excited to have a garage for the first time in my life to store my gear- growing up we didn’t have a garage so I kept my stuff in the shed, in my first house I kept it in my unfinished basement, and the past year I’ve stored it in my storage locker in my apartment building.  

In terms of playing, my full time team sucks and moved down a division this year which I’m not excited about, but I picked up a couple other teams as the backup for their full time goalie.  I’m hoping to find another full time team at the A/B level, so hopefully that happens.  Been playing 2-3 times a week, which is plenty for my nearly 40 year old fat ass. 

• Like 5

I've got a tournament in Vegas in just under three weeks I'd like to win. Skating out on a new team that should really challenge my abilities for the first time since I stopped playing House league, hopefully I make a good impression there. Looking at buying a home in December/January. Going back to school to get some copyediting credentials, hopefully break into that industry and earn enough freelance that I can make it a full-time thing; alternatively, being hired by a publishing house would be pretty cool.

Got another big thing on the go, but that's going to be slow-moving.

• Like 1

Funny looking at the comments about recovery time. Up until about 2018, I could do a Friday skate (the one I am re-joining) and a Sunday morning skate. No matter how much I get in shape (shape for an old man way past expiration date), I cannot do it anymore. I just dont recover fast enough. Once a week maybe twice - 5 days apart - is my max. 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I just hope to keep playing this season.  I've been in another rut where I just don't care to play.  Would rather be home with the wife and kids.  My team is going to play in Lake Placid in December.  I have always wanted to do that.  I can't make it and it doesn't even bother me.  

Honestly - I've been through this point.

Go with your kids when they start playing. It's amazing as a hockey parent to go there. Been there so many times. I'm quite fortunate.

Skate on Mirror Lake with the kids. Walk down the main street a few times. Drink some beers. Hang at the hotel all night and maybe drink more with the other parents. Walk around the town and the rinks with your kids is the best part. Playing there would actually be a hassle in my opinion. 

There isn't much better than watching your kids play. Sitting the 80 rink looking around at everything and watching the small fries skate around like a pack of bees.

My boys are 12 and 16. The teams they play for now are past going to Lake Placid. Some parents never went. It's a shame.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 1:15 PM, MTH said:

You're too young to remember this. But the NWO / Wolfpack was as big as it got in professional wrestling in the day.

The NWO WOLFPACK History [1998 Edition] - video Dailymotion

Oh boy ! haahah ! I am not even sure if our team's name is related to this at all ! I'll have to ask the captain !!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 12:38 AM, CJ Boiss said:

I've got a tournament in Vegas in just under three weeks I'd like to win. Skating out on a new team that should really challenge my abilities for the first time since I stopped playing House league, hopefully I make a good impression there. Looking at buying a home in December/January. Going back to school to get some copyediting credentials, hopefully break into that industry and earn enough freelance that I can make it a full-time thing; alternatively, being hired by a publishing house would be pretty cool.

Got another big thing on the go, but that's going to be slow-moving.

Updates!

Won the Vegas tourney! We were short-benched from the hop (one guy got grounded by his wife, never even flew out. Probably caught doing something he shouldn't have), and two injuries had us playing with 8 and then 7 skaters in the semi and final games. Game 1 was a bit shaky, but I held the door closed after that and we went undefeated.

Snagged an early apple skating out with my new team. They've got me playing forward, definitely not where I'm most comfortable, but as long as I keep it simple (backcheck hard, clear the zone, get the puck deep) I know I can keep up. Haven't been on for a goal against; if "two-way shutdown forward" is my role, I'm happy with that.

Interest rates are creeping up, but the market should be taking a bit of a dip in the near future here. Some nice spots where I'm looking, hopefully they stay on the market long enough for me to snag.

Big Slow Moving Thing is seeing some movement.

Yeah. Life going pretty good right now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Trav? 

Nope I’ve been with this team more than a season😂

Anyways once I get an advisor set up I’ll be moved to a different team where hopefully the coach will actually be willing to talk to me directly and not avoid me every chance he gets. It’s not all bad considering I figured I’d be traded this year and had a bunch of stuff adjusted in the contract so I get the most possible. 

Edited by ThatCarGuy

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Anyways once I get an advisor set up I’ll be moved to a different team where hopefully the coach will actually be willing to talk to me directly and not avoid me every chance he gets. It’s not all bad considering I figured I’d be traded this year and had a bunch of stuff adjusted in the contract so I get the most possible. 

One needs to recognize a toxic situation, find a solution, or get the hell out of there. Good luck Pal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 5:04 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Being on a team with a BS coach is just awful. Worse than one that yells no matter what.

Little confused though....are you a pro? If so, I hope things level out for you and you get a better chance.

Just now, Fullright said:

Being on a team with a BS coach is just awful. Worse than one that yells no matter what.

Little confused though....are you a pro? If so, I hope things level out for you and you get a better chance.

Just playing juniors. Thankfully was able to have a meeting with the coach to discuss the game. Learned he fully trusts me after seeing that game but the team just seems to play like shit in front of me for some reason. 

• Like 2

Signed with a senior team, so I've got that going for me. But really I'm just injury insurance, and cleared being a carded player with the beer league I play in so as not to screw myself out of actually playing, because it's "technically" against the league's constitution to allow carded players.

Edited by insertnamehere

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just playing juniors. Thankfully was able to have a meeting with the coach to discuss the game. Learned he fully trusts me after seeing that game but the team just seems to play like shit in front of me for some reason. 

"just"?....good for you and good luck. :)

Glad you had a productive meeting w the Boss. As for why the team sucks in front of you, it is probably because you're good and likely better than the other goaler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1