Inline to Ice Hockey, any tips?

OldSchoolGoalie

I've played inline for a decade and I'm going to start doing public shinny to get into ice hockey next week, but I'm looking for some tips.

For inline I did use pad covers but sliding wasn't really a thing for me, never tried any of the plates or tape. I also don't drop down at every shot as I'm on the shorter side and normally play more out while cutting the angle off as much as possible and skating up, and backwards as the play pushes towards the net. My style is pretty much a hybrid, so I'll do butterfly at times but mostly half butterfly and more stand up. Ice apparently is another beast!

I'm a big fan of The Puck Stops Here by Jim Park. This style of play actually served me really well for inline. I also skate when I play inline, but I'm not sure how much of that is applicable.

I'm going to go to some open skate times with my goalie skates to get accustomed to them because I've only ever used player skates, and I'm expecting some differences based on how the blades differ. The least I can do is make sure I don't flop like a fish on the ice as I'm attempting to make my way to the net! :D 

What tips can anyone provide to help me with the transition to Ice Hockey from Inline? All my gear is covered as I always had full ice hockey for inline. I just had to pick up socks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Spray your face with water, drink a lot, and spit out all the water you want because you no longer need to worry about crippling yourself when you slip in your own puddles. 

😅 We couldn't even bring bottles to the net for league play. Pick up wasn't an issue but I kept a towel near by to keep the surface dry otherwise it didn't take much to end up flipping in the air. How I managed the heat all those years is beyond me!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Ha, yep.  It's a thing. I've always been prone to overheating.   I started out in inline hockey as a teenager and moving to ice in my 20s was amazing if for no other reason just to be able to not care about spraying water on my face, down my back, etc. 

Nice! :)  I'm a bit nervous on the sliding around and what not! Post to post, ect... I'll see how my first skate goes on the weekend. I had a slot to play tonight but didn't because I would rather make sure I got the skating part down first to a reasonable level.

22 minutes ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Nice! :)  I'm a bit nervous on the sliding around and what not! Post to post, ect... I'll see how my first skate goes on the weekend. I had a slot to play tonight but didn't because I would rather make sure I got the skating part down first to a reasonable level.

Don't be nervous.  It's so much easier on ice.  If you have any technical skills whatsoever you'll do great on ice.  Yeah, there's an adjustment to make,  for sure,  but it's not that difficult.  I think the worry about oversliding is a bit exaggerated.  Yes, it happens,  but it's not as easy common as it's made out to be.

I think the biggest difference is footwork, upright,  on your skates.  Once you get that you're set. 

• Like 3