Px3 Catalyst

Chenner29

1 hour ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

My set arrived today.  Thank you @Chenner29, @Aquilzz, and @turbototts for the advice back in March.  This set took exactly 8 weeks from order to my house. 
- 34 + 1, soft break, ultra soft boot, 2 leather straps, recessed knee with inner knee wrap. 
- 600 break, single T, pro palm 

- Blocker has curved finger guard

Yes I know my glove color zones don’t match blocker and pads, I wanted it that way 😄

Glove closure on a *real* Lefevre glove is butter eh?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Glove closure on a *real* Lefevre glove is butter eh?

Yes, it really is.  It's a pro palm, and after only about 10 minutes of shaping and open and closing it, it's really smooth and the closure around the heel of the glove is perfect.  I use a rubber clamp on all my gloves to keep the T flat and crisp.

I was a huge fan of the Eflex line and have used it every year since 2014 and I always thought it was the best stuff for me.  I expected the Trues to be the exact same build-wise and materials but I was really blown away at how much thicker all the components seem to be.  For the gloves, the sure-grip material is much thicker and has a grippier texture than the CCM, and the Pro palm padding in the glove (on both sides of the break angle) is the perfect thickness and I can close it already.  The blocker has a noticeably stiffer sidewall and finger guards, and a much nicer cuff opening.  

The pads are amazing, and I'm not worried about them being too stiff.  With that said, I'm surprise how easy it is for me to flex them down with my forearms when leaning over them; this must be the difference between "stiff" and "soft" break?  The +1 is perfect for me, as when I drop into the carpet fly 😄, the pad tops close perfectly together, with no overlap or gap.  Shuffling around on the carpet doesn't impede myself either.  I'll get these on the ice starting next month, but don't expect a huge adjustment.

My only complaint, is I wish there was an option to not have white nylon on the back of the calf sliding surface.  I wanted white sliding surface, but would rather have black or orange on the calf.  My CCMs were always yellow/brown after a few seasons.  I know CCM now lets you choose that zone with the leg channel colour.  I'll live with it though, as I am really happy with these pads!

One last note: they zip tied some extra cord to my pads, in both black and orange.  My OCD kicked in and I'm replacing the white lace on my knee wrap with the orange 🤣

I'll update in June/July when I get back on the ice.

Edited by MikeTheGoalie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeTheGoalie said:

My only complaint, is I wish there was an option to not have white nylon on the back of the calf sliding surface.  I wanted white sliding surface, but would rather have black or orange on the calf.  My CCMs were always yellow/brown after a few seasons.  I know CCM now lets you choose that zone with the leg channel colour.  I'll live with it though, as I am really happy with these pads!

You can put in a special request for them to change the back nylon.  I forgot to do it on this set but they've done it for me in the past.

Well I caved in this morning.. Ordered a pair of px3 pads to match my 12.2 gloves..  Hope I can get use to the fsr system this time.  It's going to be fun comparing them to the eflex6 when they come in. 

Screenshot_20230523-081916.png

Edited by Madmedic6

• 1 month later...

Bad news for anyone like myself waiting for a px3 set, True just pushed everyone back 6-8 weeks.

I am at week 7 of a likely 8 week lead time, and they have apparently had some unforeseen setbacks in the factory, coupled with ramping up pro orders and a summer vacation shutdown, I'm now looking at an October delivery.

2 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

Bad news for anyone like myself waiting for a px3 set, True just pushed everyone back 6-8 weeks.

I am at week 7 of a likely 8 week lead time, and they have apparently had some unforeseen setbacks in the factory, coupled with ramping up pro orders and a summer vacation shutdown, I'm now looking at an October delivery.

You mean there's production issues at True with "unforeseen" demand from Pro's and the general public is forced to be pushed to the back of the line? 

seen-it-marty.gif.8901b3e4bcbd0bf1682e057697fa7422.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

I received the same email. It's unfortunate 

14 hours ago, keeperton said:

I was pretty sure they were at 20 weeks anyway.

Source: an assumption I made based on other companies being so backed up.

I know someone who ordered maybe 2 weeks before me who just got his set, so my 8 week quote was accurate until about Wednesday this week unfortunately. I have heard Brian's is pushing back orders a few weeks as well right now.

4 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

I know someone who ordered maybe 2 weeks before me who just got his set, so my 8 week quote was accurate until about Wednesday this week unfortunately. I have heard Brian's is pushing back orders a few weeks as well right now.

That's really unfortunate, though I'm impressed they kept it up at 8 weeks for as long as they did. I was told by Brian's reps that it's like 25-30 weeks right now, corroborated by their website and one of the kids I play with (when he's home in Summer) not being able to order gear for his next season because of the lead times. I think Vaughn is in a similar boat too, but I'm not entirely certain.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, keeperton said:

That's really unfortunate, though I'm impressed they kept it up at 8 weeks for as long as they did. I was told by Brian's reps that it's like 25-30 weeks right now, corroborated by their website and one of the kids I play with (when he's home in Summer) not being able to order gear for his next season because of the lead times. I think Vaughn is in a similar boat too, but I'm not entirely certain.

Was quoted 20 weeks for pants back in May with Vaughn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

I got my compensation for the factory delays, a free HZRDUS PX Pro stick. Having used nothing but Bauer for the last 8 years, its a pretty nice piece. Its quite thin and very lightweight. Probably wont sway me from Bauer twigs though.

Its a nice gesture from True to try and soothe the sting of a double/tripled wait time.

Hopefully my next post here is my new set!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

Small update:

I got my compensation for the factory delays, a free HZRDUS PX Pro stick. Having used nothing but Bauer for the last 8 years, its a pretty nice piece. Its quite thin and very lightweight. Probably wont sway me from Bauer twigs though.

Its a nice gesture from True to try and soothe the sting of a double/tripled wait time.

Hopefully my next post here is my new set!

I requested a px. But being off hand they sent me a 9x3 which happened to match my ccm set. But the vibration through the stick is terrible compared to the ccm prolite. 

• 4 weeks later...

**Not Px3 related but more Catalyst line related, so feel free to tell me to kick rocks if this isn't the right place.

Got my 7x3/9x3 set on the ice for the first time today and all I can say is wow.

The slide and seal on the 7x3 pads is way better than my EF5s. FRS is amazing, still need to dial it in a bit on the lower strap but had zero rotational issues. I don't have the widest butterfly and I was a bit worried that the stiff thigh rise would be an issue but I honestly don't think my flare has ever looked better. Stability while pushing was amazing too. Really just blown away here comparing a "senior" level pad to a "pro" custom pad but it's seriously night and day for me. 

7x3 blocker is a Lefevre blocker. Doesn't feel a whole lot different than my EF4 or EF5 except that it feels a lot tighter on the hand.

9x3 glove is a 590. My EF5 is a 580 which I've enjoyed but something always felt off. Had an EF4 590 before that and liked it so I'm excited to be back in a 590 for now and see how it goes. Got it baked in the store and for an off the shelf retail glove I'm pretty impressed. Closes well. Feels a little tight on the hand but I'm sure using it more will get it opened up a bit.

Overall extremely excited. Gonna give it a few more skates before I decide to keep it or not but I'm already kind of leaning towards selling my EF5 set. Really kicking myself for not placing a custom order back when it was 8 weeks. Until then, the all black set will have to do.

IMG_4698.thumb.jpeg.098ab40ae0a14bc293967a0f1640fdfc.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sizing question for the brain trust. 

When I went in to look at the 7x3s I fully expected to be in a 32 based on everything I read. The guy at my LHS that fitted me was pretty adamant about getting me in a 33. I took his word and through 6 or so games haven't really had any issues, just the awkwardness of adjusting to stiffer thighs, but I've been curious about the 32s. There weren't any 32s locally so I ended up ordering a pair online with the idea of if they don't fit I can just return them.

Well, the 32s arrived. First picture is where I'm landing in the 33s and second is where I'm landing on the 32s. To me it doesn't seem that much of a difference and I'm a bit hesitant to keep the 32s but I'd love yalls advice on which ones I should be keeping. Is there a benefit to going with the smaller pad? I've always gone with the larger pad for a bit of additional coverage and my only real gripe with the 33s is skating is sometimes a bit more awkward and cumbersome but the 32s kinda felt a bit better just walking around in my basement with my gear on.

IMG-4821.jpg

IMG-4823.jpg

19 hours ago, Phil1p33 said:

Sizing question for the brain trust. 

When I went in to look at the 7x3s I fully expected to be in a 32 based on everything I read. The guy at my LHS that fitted me was pretty adamant about getting me in a 33. I took his word and through 6 or so games haven't really had any issues, just the awkwardness of adjusting to stiffer thighs, but I've been curious about the 32s. There weren't any 32s locally so I ended up ordering a pair online with the idea of if they don't fit I can just return them.

Well, the 32s arrived. First picture is where I'm landing in the 33s and second is where I'm landing on the 32s. To me it doesn't seem that much of a difference and I'm a bit hesitant to keep the 32s but I'd love yalls advice on which ones I should be keeping. Is there a benefit to going with the smaller pad? I've always gone with the larger pad for a bit of additional coverage and my only real gripe with the 33s is skating is sometimes a bit more awkward and cumbersome but the 32s kinda felt a bit better just walking around in my basement with my gear on.

IMG-4821.jpg

IMG-4823.jpg

32 looks better.

you shouldn't land too low on the block, you lose stability in the butterfly.

your knee cap should generally be in the upper 1/3 of the knee block, not accounting for personal preference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are, in all their glory. Ordered May 25, delivered 10/6. 

34+2 PX3

L87 graphic in Camel With black weave accents and sliding surface

single internal break “straight” profile

no external break

580 glove, pro palm, leather wrist strap, single tee, black lace pocket

585 binding blocker with suregrip palm and curved finger protection

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6072.jpeg

IMG_6073.jpeg

IMG_6074.jpeg

IMG_6075.jpeg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

Here they are, in all their glory. Ordered May 25, delivered 10/6. 

34+2 PX3

L87 graphic in Camel With black weave accents and sliding surface

single internal break “straight” profile

no external break

580 glove, pro palm, leather wrist strap, single tee, black lace pocket

585 binding blocker with suregrip palm and curved finger protection

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6072.jpeg

IMG_6073.jpeg

IMG_6074.jpeg

IMG_6075.jpeg

Almost ordered that colorway! Love seeing it come to life