Brian Heaton History Thread

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, I feel obligated to share my personal Brian Heaton Story. I am currently the Director of Goaltender Development for a Private Hockey Training Center (9 years running, 3 locations), a boys V

My new set of Brians gear, mid to late 80's. Yeah, it's a hokey pose when compared to a hockey pose. 

Cool thread - I love Brian Heaton and so much of his gear. I never had much Heaton gear as a younger guy (aside from the sticks, which is all I used). Heaton gear - particularly Brodeur models - was s

Posted Images

On 11/10/2019 at 1:43 PM, Naz said:

Yes, 4700 was the Senior version.  You can see the SR tag in one of your photos.

Also, as you alluded to, the H% logo is heat transferred.  As seen in the attached photo, the Pro version had the full H5 rubberized logo.

Helite5trap.jpeg

It’s funny how in those days the lower end model had heat transfer logos while the pro had rubber and stitched logos. Today it would be sold as a weight reduction advantage to use heat transfer and they’d charge double. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MTH said:

Man, I don't know. Zoom in on this picture on eBay. Looks like the Heaton logo for sure. Why can't I find a side shot of thse pads??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREG-STEFAN-1986-AUTOGRAPHED-DETROIT-RED-WINGS-LITTLE-CAESARS-POSTCARD-/351782699284

I think the logos may be attached to Aeroflex/Winlite pads. How about that? The top logo looks loose. Like it was glued on and peeling off.

EDIT:

Heaton logo for sure:

41496.jpg

That’s the rub. I swore I saw a Heaton logo. I know Heaton never offered a Nylon-faced pad, but these had a few extra funky details, including what looks like Jenpro shin rolls. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going waaaay back to ...early 80's maybe? Brian had a workshop in the back of Sonny's sport shop in Kingsville. He had a pair of pads he let someone use to try out. Maybe Windsor Spitfires? Not sure. Anyway he sold me those pads for 400$ . Back then it seemed like a lot of money.  They were plain brown...no colors..very plain looking, but wore extremely well. I think they were probably in the first few dozen pads he made for sale. Unfortunately,  they were stolen years later...even though they were quite old and tattered at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 1:59 AM, Chopski said:

Guys, I feel obligated to share my personal Brian Heaton Story.

I am currently the Director of Goaltender Development for a Private Hockey Training Center (9 years running, 3 locations), a boys Varsity Hockey Goalie Coach (also 9 years running with currently 1 NHL draft pick & 1 signed), & I also work for a major equipment manufacturer (not Brian's). In other words, when I heard about the man, myth & legend of Brian Heaton, that's what I always wanted to do. I'm blessed to have made a career out of this sport, without going any further than college hockey in a small town tending net.

I got to meet Brian at the Hockey Expo in St. Paul, MN in the early 2000's. He spent HOURS talking to me. Attached is the sticker that I proudly wear on my skull plate in his remembrance (see pic). Yes, my mask was made by Jerry Wright (but I have hidden Mr. Wright's contact info).

Brian literally changed the game for us goalies. Growing up in the late 80's & early 90's, seeing the custom creations of Sean Burke, Trevor Kidd, Jim Carey, Guy Hebert, Olaf Kolzig, etc. just to name a few. They looked SO COOL compared to the rest of them. Truly custom.

Yes, I wore Brian's/ & Heaton for my entire goalie career (head to toe). I LOVED my puckfoils in high school & college. He was truly a visionary & someone that even to this day I strive to become!!

Cheers!

JerryWrightBrianHeaton.jpg

wish I still had mine it was on my Stacy mask that I sold

• 10 months later...