Bauer 2023 Lineup

ZeroGravitas

On 12/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

Someone posted to these a (very small) but publicly available sub-Reddit, so I think it's fair game to repost.

1.png.da23d48295fc68acdaa521a2bc410b92.png2.png.09c359f78485bcc53a61d6a133925835.png3.png.148fee5563d67e2784da08f93910c593.png4.png.5e8e5a8661b943b8ffab4a14f932c423.png5.png.6d2b5fc539d1aba1e4e9bb31e6d3a211.png6.png.caea27c6f34e5a906660c48103555e02.png7.png.958b94829168aa4969277c47919e713e.png8.png.b61696b1a701b9e9871ee1ce56559bb0.png9.png.af14a543fe6485332a2d79ada963ac39.png10.png.74e0415bbbc5ad4ca21644463a20d1cd.png11.thumb.png.f75d59cc15d82f90e1ac1655f7edc72d.png12.png.86c0f8ea448dfcd4eaf1872d172730c1.png13.png.e79279b9e1320e6afcf95420f1765485.png

What do they mean by removable arms for customizability? Will Bauer allow for a goalie to pair small arms with a medium chest for the same price? If so this sounds like a headache for retailers. I feel like this feature is good but sounds more like an option for custom orders which is already offered. Chest looks good; I am currently in gen 1 and like it.

Curious to see the change in calf plate stiffness with the gen 2 pads. I have gen 1 pads and the calf plate does not really move despite lacking a bracket. To add, when gen 1 is strapped the massive calf pad pushes against your calf and limits the movement of the calf plate. This literally saved my first shot of the game from being a goal last week haha. I love how Bauer pushes innovation but this may be overengineering. The calf bracket makes more sense for Mach users as those are usually strapped looser and I believe Mach has a smaller calf pad than hyperlite. Will definitely check them out on release but happy with my gen 1s. 

Would love to see the changes they made with the Konekt. After making the top strap tighter last fall, the Konekt has led to so much less goalie madness, specifically skate madness. I was talking to my goalie partner about no longer having the anxious feeling in the back of my head of whether my skates were tied well; same fit every time with the Konekts. Maybe my madness has lessened over the years but I feel very content with my current setup. I really hope they allow for a tighter fit stock so those who have my issue do not have to mod their $1000 skates.

Realistically, the only piece I will probably pick up is the stick but also hoping that gen 1 sticks go on sale for a steal.

I am still glad that there are changes for gen 2. My goalie partner pulled the trigger on some gen 1 w/ digiprint because he said that a rep said almost nothing was changing on gen 2. I would say these are all great features and if you got some older pads this is the best "hybrid" pad available on the market.

Trojan - I have a feeling the removable arms are like the Vaughn V9 where the arm Velcros into the body and you are able to play around with the attachment point to shorten/lengthen the arm.  It would be cool if you could swap out arms on the stock unit, but, like you said, that would either be a headache for the retailer, or costly for the consumer!

• Like 1

I had just placed an order for a set of 3X pads and gloves with custom colors a few weeks before this topic hit.  I knew the new stuff was coming, but really love the feature set (and even the graphic) on the 3X.  While I’m sure the new stuff will have its fair share of improvements, it doesn’t seem like the magnitude of evolution from 3X to the new stuff is quite as significant as it was from 2X to 3X, so I’m not feeling too much buyer’s remorse.  This gear is going to be a major jump in performance over my current stuff and it’s very cool to be able to get custom colors at the 2nd price point.

23 hours ago, sescaro said:

Trojan - I have a feeling the removable arms are like the Vaughn V9 where the arm Velcros into the body and you are able to play around with the attachment point to shorten/lengthen the arm.  It would be cool if you could swap out arms on the stock unit, but, like you said, that would either be a headache for the retailer, or costly for the consumer!

You are probably correct. Wish they would just put "adjustable arms."

23 hours ago, sescaro said:

I had just placed an order for a set of 3X pads and gloves with custom colors a few weeks before this topic hit.  I knew the new stuff was coming, but really love the feature set (and even the graphic) on the 3X.  While I’m sure the new stuff will have its fair share of improvements, it doesn’t seem like the magnitude of evolution from 3X to the new stuff is quite as significant as it was from 2X to 3X, so I’m not feeling too much buyer’s remorse.  This gear is going to be a major jump in performance over my current stuff and it’s very cool to be able to get custom colors at the 2nd price point.

I think you made the right decision. The jump between 2x and Hyperlite seems to be much greater than what we will see between Hyperlite gen 1 and gen 2. As I said in my piece, the only new feature is the calf, but I don't see this really being any different than what was on gen 1 when it comes to performance. Both gen 1 calf and gen 2 calf wraps should perform similarly on the ice. I will never knock Bauer for pushing innovation, but I just do not see how this will change performance between gen 1 and gen 2.

Not to tangent, but sometimes I enjoy the solutions True/Lefevre comes up with. Instead of building a bracket into the pad or the CCM DRS knee system, Lefevre decided to use a nylon Carey Price strap. This strap creates a firm anchor point for the knee block, and in turn the knee block will not move when driving down into the butterfly. All systems achieve the same goal, but CCM and Bauer are definitely over engineered.

11 hours ago, TrojanGoalie said:

I think you made the right decision. The jump between 2x and Hyperlite seems to be much greater than what we will see between Hyperlite gen 1 and gen 2.

Yep this has been my decision to push through my custom order now rather than wait - the new calf feature on the HL2s seems to be moot anyway when ordering custom as you get an IIHF/NHL spec calf. I went for a stiffer knee block this time around too.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, sescaro said:

18 hours ago, TrojanGoalie said:

I think you made the right decision. The jump between 2x and Hyperlite seems to be much greater than what we will see between Hyperlite gen 1 and gen 2. As I said in my piece, the only new feature is the calf, but I don't see this really being any different than what was on gen 1 when it comes to performance. Both gen 1 calf and gen 2 calf wraps should perform similarly on the ice. I will never knock Bauer for pushing innovation, but I just do not see how this will change performance between gen 1 and gen 2.

Plus, Bauer didn't offer M5 Pro with custom colors like they did with the 3X. And there's no guarantee they'll offer the upcoming X5 Pro with a custom color program either.

7 hours ago, Zip said:

Yep this has been my decision to push through my custom order now rather than wait - the new calf feature on the HL2s seems to be moot anyway when ordering custom as you get an IIHF/NHL spec calf. I went for a stiffer knee block this time around too.

You'll miss out on the internal calf feature - the bracket. Not that it's a big deal, IMO.

THE IIHF/NHL calfs can have the bracket(s), but the shape/size of the wedge and calf pillow is different from retail.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:12 AM, Zip said:

completely agree with @TrojanGoalie HL was a major turning point for Bauer.

There is a reason this pad is HL2 and not some other new name. Bauer had a major hit and it's a more evolutionary release. Not the major change between 2X and HL.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, oliver.murf said:

Why are they making centered-toe bridge stock? Would you have to order custom if you want it off-set?

I'm going to guess it's to help further differentiate their two lines. A more centered toe bridge is more in line with the idea of a 'hybrid' pad. 

Even though all Bauer stuff is as Pro-fly as it gets. 

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm going to guess it's to help further differentiate their two lines. A more centered toe bridge is more in line with the idea of a 'hybrid' pad. 

Even though all Bauer stuff is as Pro-fly as it gets. 

I hate this term, can we get rid of it?