Material Database

TheGoalNet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

What's the difference?

VN is the cream colored stuff... also brand wise called Rubatex, which is a closed cell foam.  

rubitex_foam_copy.jpg.018305b8aa53234db4a98f580b2c841c.jpg

EVA is an elastomeric polymer, but also closed cell.  EVA is commonly used in exercise or kids play mats.  I believe that EVA will not break down as quick as it won't absorb as much sweat as VN

Just now, cwarnar said:

VN is the cream colored stuff... also brand wise called Rubatex, which is a closed cell foam.  

rubitex_foam_copy.jpg.018305b8aa53234db4a98f580b2c841c.jpg

EVA is an elastomeric polymer, but also closed cell.  EVA is commonly used in exercise or kids play mats.  I believe that EVA will not break down as quick as it won't absorb as much sweat as VN

The last part matches the description of what I want and that's definitely EVA. Black VN does exist though, I am waiting on a call back from a foam company. Looks like I need to dodge calls :shakehead:

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The last part matches the description of what I want and that's definitely EVA. Black VN does exist though, I am waiting on a call back from a foam company. Looks like I need to dodge calls :shakehead:

I was just doing some online searching and it seems in other sports, VN has better impact protection but will break down quick.

EVA is more "springy" hence the comfort.  Although it may not offer the same protection as VN.

I vetted some clips from the article, study done by Prof. David Halstead of the University of Tennessee, Director of the Sports Biomechanics Impact Laboratory and a research scientist for the school's Institute for Injury and Trauma Prevention:

There are three main types of foam:

Expanded Poly-Propylene (EPP) is the most common. It’s very stiff, not affected by moisture, and will take multiple impacts, according to Halstead.

Finally, there are closed-cell foams. The best of these are otherwise known as Vinyl Nitrile, which is a PVC synthetic rubber, heavier in a safe density than EPS/EPP, and will absorb water, but it is usually much softer. A closed-cell foam will also absorb sweat along with water, which can make for a ‘funky’ brain bucket. A fourth insulation, Ethyl Vinyl Acetate or EVA, "isn’t a functional energy attenuator because it’s so springy," says Halstead.

Halstead says stiffer is better. "When you look at the stuff that will actually protect your head, it ought to be so stiff that you think, ‘my God, this is going to hurt.’ But you need that much stiffness to spread the impact. If you pick up a helmet with soft foam inside, the chance of it protecting you is slim." Of course, not everyone agrees with Halstead. Jay Norfleet from Grateful Heads thinks EPP is not a multiple-impact foam because it compresses. And Doug Poe of Pro-Tec believes EVA gives the same protection as closed-cell foam.

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

I was just doing some online searching and it seems in other sports, VN has better impact protection but will break down quick.

EVA is more "springy" hence the comfort.  Although it may not offer the same protection as VN

It's perfect my application. I have two different projects in the works where I will combine multiple materials. A thin layer of EVA closest to your body seems like a wonderful thing 

Michel's black foam is VN.  I actually just asked him about that this morning as we were going over some mask options.  He told me he uses Black VN and Tan Rubatex, which I believe is VN as well.  Rubatex is just a brand name, but they make VN, EVA, Neoprene, etc.  I believe most of the "Rubatex" we see in masks is VN.  Ed cubberly used Rubatex VN.  The only difference between the two that Michel uses is the Tan is harder than the Black.  VN can be found in different densities depending on the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Michel's black foam is VN.  I actually just asked him about that this morning as we were going over some mask options.  He told me he uses Black VN and Tan Rubatex, which I believe is VN as well.  Rubatex is just a brand name, but they make VN, EVA, Neoprene, etc.  I believe most of the "Rubatex" we see in masks is VN.  Ed cubberly used Rubatex VN.  The only difference between the two that Michel uses is the Tan is harder than the Black.  VN can be found in different densities depending on the manufacturer.

Michel's is definitely a different build of VN. It's softer than the traditional Rubatex and stays fresher way longer.  

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Have you ever had a Pro's Choice mask in hand?  I am curious what kind of foam it uses.  I got my PC in 2012 and got a refurb last year and the foam was still as soft as it was day 1.  My previous mask was an Eddy Custom LT and the foam in that mask was rock hard inside of 2 years, if that.  Maybe @Chenner29 might know.

I've never asked Dom to elaborate on the foam.  The last time he refurbed a mask for me was maybe in 2010?  My original shell had the Croc foam in it, and we changed to the beige stuff a little later. 

He mentioned when I placed my order with him that he changed to a different supplier since the last time we talked.  He mentioned that out of all the goalies in the NHL wearing the product, he has had a grand total of zero goalies missing time because of concussions.

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've never asked Dom to elaborate on the foam.  The last time he refurbed a mask for me was maybe in 2010?  My original shell had the Croc foam in it, and we changed to the beige stuff a little later. 

He mentioned when I placed my order with him that he changed to a different supplier since the last time we talked.  He mentioned that out of all the goalies in the NHL wearing the product, he has had a grand total of zero goalies missing time because of concussions.

Yea whatever it is I love it.  

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Pretty sure Matt Murray wears one and Rask had a concussion back in October.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, jayluv54 said:

Pretty sure Matt Murray wears one and Rask had a concussion back in October.

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Murray does and wears his helmet like a dope 

He does and it bugs the shit out of Dom(paraphrased not quoted).  A few seasons ago when Murray broke into the league I actually asked Dom about the way he wears his mask and Dom said he has told Murray several times that he wears it too loose but that's how he prefers to wear it.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:18 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

He does and it bugs the shit out of Dom(paraphrased not quoted).  A few seasons ago when Murray broke into the league I actually asked Dom about the way he wears his mask and Dom said he has told Murray several times that he wears it too loose but that's how he prefers to wear it.

loose masks seem pretty commonplace in the NHL

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

There’s also an unusual trend with the PC’s and guys running the elastic around the side of the mask instead of underneath and that seems odd too

Those may be guys who came from a 961 that has 2 snaps.  One on the side by the ear where the strap runs long the outside and then the lower snaps that were actually for the chin strap.  Running along the side is just way too loose for me so I run mine underneath to the chin snaps, but I still can't get the backplate on my 961 tight enough for my liking.

image.jpeg.44f656cb1ff902263830905b95fd3605.jpegimage.jpeg.14aab87349069e299d7b85b563f23571.jpeg

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

There’s also an unusual trend with the PC’s and guys running the elastic around the side of the mask instead of underneath and that seems odd too

Yea idk wtf that's about.  I remember Jim Carey doing that way back in the 90s.  Bugged me then and it still bugs me now.

Archived