Aegis Neck Gaurd

TheGoalNet

7 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I suspect with CCM's ties to the company that produces the D30 material that we'll be seeing a new neck guard of their own to get competitive.

Do have any facts on this? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see it! 

If you don’t have any specifics,  I’d challenge that assumption. I’m not sure that CCM is focused on bringing  D30 to the collar market 

It’s a shame too... this neck guard with D30 on the inner telescoping collar would be best of bred for sure

57A50781-DB3B-40DC-B508-2175C639357D.jpeg

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Do have any facts on this? Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see it! 

If you don’t have any specifics,  I’d challenge that assumption. I’m not sure that CCM is focused on bringing  D30 to the collar market 

It’s a shame too... this neck guard with D30 on the inner telescoping collar would be best of bred for sure

57A50781-DB3B-40DC-B508-2175C639357D.jpeg

ive got that neck guard and im not a huge fan the little flaps on the side get in the way and it doesn't feel like it has much protection

51 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

ive got that neck guard and im not a huge fan the little flaps on the side get in the way and it doesn't feel like it has much protection

The CCM version? I had the shirt version and I loved it, expect for the lack of protection on the inner neck 

I've been using this pretty much all season, it was appealing because of the d30 and the price point was obviously a lot better than a Maltese.

It's very comfortable and breathes great, super light, I don't even notice it's there.

Couple weeks ago I took a shot to my collar bone area and I discovered a problem with it.

There is d30 around the neck and again lower on the clavicle. If you notice in between the two areas where the d30 is located there is about 2 inches of just fabric.

When the shot hit there I immediately felt it. I'm not sure if some of the puck hit the d30 and the rest hit the fabric area or what exactly happened but I felt it right on my collar and it was not nice.

Ever since then I've been back looking at Maltese units. If you notice on the maltese it is a lot thicker and there is no gap between the neck and the lower portion. It's all the same protection everywhere. This Aegis has a gap without d30 and the puck will find it!

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@wheezblock - haven’t worn mine on ice yes, but I’ve noticed how some of the seams could act as padding gaps. 

I have been in contact with the manufacturer and might have an opportunity to share feedback. I’ll definitely share this story if given the opportunity 

Is there any way to supplement or swap out the minimal padding in it?  I'd be specifically be looking for the collar area.

4 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Is there any way to supplement or swap out the minimal padding in it?  I'd be specifically be looking for the collar area.

You could definitely add more or put different padding in it, the d30 fits in a sleeve so it is removable for washing, you could maybe push the d30 material all the way up close to the neck portion and find a way to hold it up there to minimize the gap in protection, or you could add a little piece of padding

20 minutes ago, Scott said:

You could definitely add more or put different padding in it, the d30 fits in a sleeve so it is removable for washing, you could maybe push the d30 material all the way up close to the neck portion and find a way to hold it up there to minimize the gap in protection, or you could add a little piece of padding

Interesting.   I have some Poron XRD I'd love to try out in there 

Anyone have one in the L/XL they'd be willing to part with?

5 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I have sheets of varying stiffness of Poron XRD that I would likely use for he clav pad.  

Would you think the collar portion would need some extra beef?

Yes, but I’m saying all this without using it. So this could be a wonder product!

My general feeling is that materials like Maltese, D30, and Poron XRD should be used in conjunction with other more traditional materials. 

They are amazing, but they could make the most impact being combined. 

39 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, but I’m saying all this without using it. So this could be a wonder product!

My general feeling is that materials like Maltese, D30, and Poron XRD should be used in conjunction with other more traditional materials. 

They are amazing, but they could make the most impact being combined. 

I'm wondering about that nylon plastic you mentioned. Might be nice for some rigidity.

I'll let you know when mine arrives

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, wheezblock said:

Couple weeks ago I took a shot to my collar bone area and I discovered a problem with it.

There is d30 around the neck and again lower on the clavicle. If you notice in between the two areas where the d30 is located there is about 2 inches of just fabric.

When the shot hit there I immediately felt it. I'm not sure if some of the puck hit the d30 and the rest hit the fabric area or what exactly happened but I felt it right on my collar and it was not nice.

Ever since then I've been back looking at Maltese units. If you notice on the maltese it is a lot thicker and there is no gap between the neck and the lower portion. It's all the same protection everywhere. This Aegis has a gap without d30 and the puck will find it!

I've got an older Maltese as well as a newer Reiter spec, and with both I've taken shots to the collarbone.  There's a gap there as well (needs to be so it moves) and sometimes that puck just has eyes and is aiming itself. 

17 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I've got an older Maltese as well as a newer Reiter spec, and with both I've taken shots to the collarbone.  There's a gap there as well (needs to be so it moves) and sometimes that puck just has eyes and is aiming itself. 

That’s why I like the CCM concept or my PAW so much... no gap

Used mine tonight... first impressions... 

1.  Super comfy... my biggest fear getting back into a neck guard was having that choking feeling... after warm ups I forgot I was wearing the damn thing.

2.  Warm but not overheating... I noticed I as warmer than normal but didn’t didn’t feel like it wasn’t allowimg some minor airflow

3.  Of course I didn’t take any shots to the neck or clavicle area but think the protection of the D3O is adequate.  

Overall im happy with my purchase... will continue to wear it stock for a another month or so, do a more comprehensive review and then possibly  start doing some mods

There is another alternative which is between all of these its the Alex von mach d3O neck guard (just google it)  it made out of kevlar and very beef up d3o on how

it should be done with ribbed back side for volume. There's no collar but covers everything else and cut resistant.

Archived