Jump to content

Optik 3 chest protector


Yzueblin

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, old and stiff said:

Looks like it's hitting some retail stores with limited stock. Chesty's are getting expensive...wonder how long it'll take before they start pushing $1,000 USD

https://www.crowssports.com/collections/senior-chest-protectors/products/brians-optik-3-senior-chest-protector

The Warrior X3 was $820 CAD out of the gate. Same price as the beefed up Bauer Mach C/A's that some retailers brought in. 

The price increases have actually squashed my appetite for getting new C/A's lately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We received two unites yesterday. These things are built like a tank!! Only downside is the arm attachment to the chest unit is sewn in with elastic making it so you really only have two settings adjustment. I normally wear a medium and I tried their medium and the arms are long for a medium....  Rom was limited towards the belly/chest due to the dropped shoulder area. Perhaps it would be different once broken in. But I will say that it's the best built chest I've seen released this year. 

Edited by Madmedic6
Spelling.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I just picked this up Saturday from the hockey shop in Langley after speaking to the Brians reps at tendyfest. I'm coming from a Warrior G2 classic pro that needed replacing. The Optic3 fits much differently, and while stiff in some areas, moves really well at the joints. I have not had a chance to try it on the ice yet, but I've tried it on with pants and my helmet to dial in the adjustments and I think it will work well. I'm away for work so no pics at the moment unfortunately 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

I just picked this up Saturday from the hockey shop in Langley after speaking to the Brians reps at tendyfest. I'm coming from a Warrior G2 classic pro that needed replacing. The Optic3 fits much differently, and while stiff in some areas, moves really well at the joints. I have not had a chance to try it on the ice yet, but I've tried it on with pants and my helmet to dial in the adjustments and I think it will work well. I'm away for work so no pics at the moment unfortunately 

How was Tendy fest? I wanted to go but was tied up unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

How was Tendy fest? I wanted to go but was tied up unfortunately. 

Very busy, which was good for them. A lot of the equipment was being used on the ice but it was cool to talk with some of the reps about their products. The 15 percent off card was also nice. It was good to have the event back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Flyers27 said:

 

Very busy, which was good for them. A lot of the equipment was being used on the ice but it was cool to talk with some of the reps about their products. The 15 percent off card was also nice. It was good to have the event back.

Yea, I've usually always gone but I've never actually bothered with trying stuff on ice.

I'm sure it's very cool to do, but waiting in line with my gear to demo some stuff seems tedious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

How was Tendy fest? I wanted to go but was tied up unfortunately. 

I could do a write-up of the event as an attendee. Not sure where to post that thread though, suggestion?

I got to try a bunch of stuff and it was a fun experience. You don't have to wait too much typically, though I never got to try a single Bauer piece on the ice, I suspect I got lost in the waitlist or something, but I got to try everything else out that I wanted to.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, I've usually always gone but I've never actually bothered with trying stuff on ice.

I'm sure it's very cool to do, but waiting in line with my gear to demo some stuff seems tedious. 

Agreed, I haven't tried anything out on the ice, it's a bit too much of a process for me but I think it's a good idea for kids (or adults so inclined) to be able to try out bunch of stuff all in the same day. There seemed to be tons of people doing that. Good for business I bet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 9:19 PM, Flyers27 said:

I just picked this up Saturday from the hockey shop in Langley after speaking to the Brians reps at tendyfest. I'm coming from a Warrior G2 classic pro that needed replacing. The Optic3 fits much differently, and while stiff in some areas, moves really well at the joints. I have not had a chance to try it on the ice yet, but I've tried it on with pants and my helmet to dial in the adjustments and I think it will work well. I'm away for work so no pics at the moment unfortunately 

How is the unit working out for you? Seen it in person yesterday and was very impressed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

It took a while to work in and get the fit right but I really like it now. Though it's more boxy than my previous unit, I've found it moves really nice at the elbows and shoulders. The protection is definitely better, and I feel as though pucks come off it more reliably. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Flyers27 said:

It took a while to work in and get the fit right but I really like it now. Though it's more boxy than my previous unit, I've found it moves really nice at the elbows and shoulders. The protection is definitely better, and I feel as though pucks come off it more reliably. 

Can I slash you for "testing purposes" next time I see you? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I just purchased an Optik 3 Unit after some dissatisfaction with my Optik 2, mostly surrounding the arms on the unit, and feeling it in hand and trying it on I have some concerns about the "blockiness" of the unit. When I tried to reach across to my face it seemed the chest and shoulder caps would sort of jam into me, something that wasn't an issue with the Optik 2. Since trying to replace my 2 y/o Hyperlite at the beginning of the season due to stingers, I landed on Brian's for the protection. Just wondering if anyone has some insight on the Optik 3 and how it breaks in after use

Edit: I have been trying it on off-ice as I am at school and was unable to try it in-store, hence the ordering, and am hesitant to take it on ice to void any potential return. The arms definitely feel bulkier than the arms on the 2 I am using right now, and am planning to strap it into gear tomorrow so see if any mobility issues get fixed, if not, I'm planning to return and order a new chest, but not sure what would work best. This is a size small, same as my optik 2 and Hyperlite (6' 200) and was thinking of going back to Bauer, the only downside being custom weight times as I'd like to get it beefed up, which was my theory of going with Brian's, any input would be welcomed and thanked

Edited by SWood1
Additional Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    2,025
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    RollerGoalie
    Newest Member
    RollerGoalie
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...