NHL Pro Chest Protector Database

I'm very curious if anyone has any hands on experience with the Kenesky units that seem to be floating around the NHL now-I think there is at least 5 of them in pretty regular play now, and the pro's seem to like them-I'm very curious as to why. I posted a picture a few months ago of the Vaughn unit that Steve Mason was using-I now own that unit, along with about five other pro return units from various players (Mason, Mrazek, Cam Ward) and frankly, the arm protection on all of those is suspect at best, and these are all a few years old. The Mason units aren't ones I could try for myself-he's a giant, I'm 5'11, but I was able to play in the Mrazek unit, and got hit with a typical beer league slapshot in the arm, and that thing hurt, much more than getting hit in my LT 98 does right now. Essentially, with all the players complaining about how their arm pieces are dangerous, I don't know how much more the NHL could have reduced the current units compared to what I've seen from the above 3 players and their old units that I have sitting in my basement. I used that Mrazek unit once, and wouldn't use it again because the arms were just too weak for me to feel safe against a bunch of beer league hacks. If their stuff got cut beyond that, then they have every reason to complain, and should be scared. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Troppa said:

I'm very curious if anyone has any hands on experience with the Kenesky units that seem to be floating around the NHL now-I think there is at least 5 of them in pretty regular play now, and the pro's seem to like them-I'm very curious as to why.

Edited by coopaloop1234

On 11/9/2018 at 3:06 PM, Troppa said:

I'm very curious if anyone has any hands on experience with the Kenesky units that seem to be floating around the NHL now-I think there is at least 5 of them in pretty regular play now, and the pro's seem to like them-I'm very curious as to why. I posted a picture a few months ago of the Vaughn unit that Steve Mason was using-I now own that unit, along with about five other pro return units from various players (Mason, Mrazek, Cam Ward) and frankly, the arm protection on all of those is suspect at best, and these are all a few years old. The Mason units aren't ones I could try for myself-he's a giant, I'm 5'11, but I was able to play in the Mrazek unit, and got hit with a typical beer league slapshot in the arm, and that thing hurt, much more than getting hit in my LT 98 does right now. Essentially, with all the players complaining about how their arm pieces are dangerous, I don't know how much more the NHL could have reduced the current units compared to what I've seen from the above 3 players and their old units that I have sitting in my basement. I used that Mrazek unit once, and wouldn't use it again because the arms were just too weak for me to feel safe against a bunch of beer league hacks. If their stuff got cut beyond that, then they have every reason to complain, and should be scared.  

One thing I want to point out is that these pro used chest and arm units generally go a full season, sometimes two, before replacement.

Given the caliber and volume of shots they take, amount of sweat, and general use and abuse from being shoved in a bag for several hours at a time on road trips...you are bound to get a broken down unit at the end of its lifecycle.

There is one Kenesky Craig Anderson pro return unit in the hands of a member, it was linked in the post above mine.

And while we are on the subject of these new, slimmed down units being "dangerous," here is a Bauer prototype that showed up on my Facebook feed.

Those arm floaters are appalling!

image.png.87c3806eb89dbb7e7386fac36be9c484.pngimage.thumb.png.54b79f716b16989766ab921878483c10.png

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

One thing I want to point out is that these pro used chest and arm units generally go a full season, sometimes two, before replacement.

Given the caliber and volume of shots they take, amount of sweat, and general use and abuse from being shoved in a bag for several hours at a time on road trips...you are bound to get a broken down unit at the end of its lifecycle.

There is one Kenesky Craig Anderson pro return unit in the hands of a member, it was linked in the post above mine.

And while we are on the subject of these new, slimmed down units being "dangerous," here is a Bauer prototype that showed up on my Facebook feed.

image.png.87c3806eb89dbb7e7386fac36be9c484.pngimage.thumb.png.54b79f716b16989766ab921878483c10.png

That looks a helluva more slimmed down than the current ones. Looks like something for ball hockey...

• 1 month later...

Just came across this thread! As some of you may have seen in my other thread, I'm looking for some reference on Martin Jones' 2018 chest protector- this image is the closest I've found, but if anyone has anything from practice or in the locker room that shows the full protector, it would be much appreciated!

Domw3SCVsAEy2-O.jpg

21 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its old.  He sent me the picture back in October.  Idk why he never posted to social media until now.  

I was in contact them. I tried to get them active on this site.

I believe John's son was the person I corresponded with. Basically John doesn't see the value in or care about social media. His son does and was doing it as a favor to his dad, but he didnt't have the time to devote to it to do it right.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Chenner29 said:

It's a really slimmed down version the arm looks like the arm off a vapor with the curve  put on a 2s chest for added protection.

For vaughn pro units in the arms they add an extra layer of foam to deaden the blow of shots but i think that they wear down pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, thebigm said:

It's a really slimmed down version the arm looks like the arm off a vapor with the curve  put on a 2s chest for added protection.

For vaughn pro units in the arms they add an extra layer of foam to deaden the blow of shots but i think that they wear down pretty quickly.

I'd like to see what manufacturers are doing with the arms moving forward, as that seems the biggest point of complaint for goalies in the league.

Part of me wonders why players can't get a reduction in shinpads as well - if anyone has seen new ones, they are pretty damn beefy.

I'm also wondering if the stitched down portion of the arm is the culprit, I've highlighted that zone in blue.

It seems like this is a dead zone for padding, and am wondering if manufacturers could cushion that point on the inside.

image.png.8e7d62a683089f941f196a2f76c2d770.png

26 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I'd like to see what manufacturers are doing with the arms moving forward, as that seems the biggest point of complaint for goalies in the league.

Part of me wonders why players can't get a reduction in shinpads as well - if anyone has seen new ones, they are pretty damn beefy.

I'm also wondering if the stitched down portion of the arm is the culprit, I've highlighted that zone in blue.

It seems like this is a dead zone for padding, and am wondering if manufacturers could cushion that point on the inside.

image.png.8e7d62a683089f941f196a2f76c2d770.png

not too sure I think it was Elliot that complained if he wasn't squared to the shot he would feel it in the arm.  
I don't think they are getting the wrap they use to?  Don't quote me on that as I haven't seen an NHL piece up close to dissect the issues.

1 hour ago, thebigm said:

not too sure I think it was Elliot that complained if he wasn't squared to the shot he would feel it in the arm.  
I don't think they are getting the wrap they use to?  Don't quote me on that as I haven't seen an NHL piece up close to dissect the issues.

I tried on a CCM “New Spec” Premier in the off season. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what to look and focused on the smaller floaters. Need to try and get one to mess around with... 

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I tried on a CCM “New Spec” Premier in the off season. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what to look and focused on the smaller floaters. Need to try and get one to mess around with... 

I haven't even got my hands on one unfortunately!  I did get to see the knee pads they offer the pros in a special pro catalog but that was about it.  I don't mind the segments in the new floater i think it would allow you to see better side to side.  I just don't like how the arms are and wished they were laced in so you can adust it better that way as elastic wears out.

10 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

So is Vaughn building new spec versions of old models for guys like Jones and Bobrovsky? Or are they just getting their existing ones modded? 

Im pretty sure they are building legacy models for them as they never throw out the dyes(sp?) for them

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

So is Vaughn building new spec versions of old models for guys like Jones and Bobrovsky? Or are they just getting their existing ones modded? 

1 hour ago, thebigm said:

Im pretty sure they are building legacy models for them as they never throw out the dyes(sp?) for them

Correct, from Vaughn directly - They can make any legacy model to comply with the new specs.