NHL Pro Chest Protector Database

20 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Is it confirmed 'yes' next season they'll have to switch or is it still a maybe right now? 

I know Miller tried it and said that, in order to have them form fitting, there's stitching going through the padding, creating soft spots. But they weren't showing pictures in the article. I guess it's a go for next season since the NHL originally planned on making the switch at mid season. My guess is that the NHLPA said no and that it had to start at the beginning of a season.

@chakal @creasecollector - I’ve had the fortune of trying one on. Was a prototype, can’t share form who. Nothing to do with Brian’s or Optik. 

This Optik though is the closest thing you will see outside an equipment r&d lab

the floaters and arms are the biggest Change. I wasn’t afraid of it at all, but I also don’t have to deal with Weber or Chara in practice 

from memory, these floaters look correct. The arms look too wide. I’d imagine Brian’s built this in a fashion they could easily update the arms when the specs go live.

the lack of transparency and clearity between NHL and equipment companies is making the gear companies batty 

5722F3CC-1BDF-4AB8-91F9-06A0A7461CC4.png

B2262C1E-4A55-4DDE-B010-EDC5AC871700.jpeg

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

In all honesty, I just think that Bettman and company should come to grips with the fact that goalies are at their best in this era and that scoring numbers shouldn't reflect or aspire to that of say the NBA (exaggeration I know but still...)

I am regularly seeing 6, 8 goals and higher games. What do they want? Squeaky basketball?

Edited by bunnyman666

I agree with C/A's being due for a downsize and a revolution but my guess is that the next step is a change in materials like block foams and plastics being replaced with some more advanced foams and gels for example. Though it leaves me to think how much more expensive those units will be with all those highly engineered materials if regular foam and plastic units go for ~$600

As for this thread, I really liked the idea until I read that even the NHL C/A's have nothing to do with the off the shelf Pro units. It kind of sucks seeing a guy in say a V7 unit, knowing it's something we can't get anyway

7 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

As for this thread, I really liked the idea until I read that even the NHL C/A's have nothing to do with the off the shelf Pro units. It kind of sucks seeing a guy in say a V7 unit, knowing it's something we can't get anyway

Shouldn't be too surprised. Pro's will always have access to things unavailable at the consumer level.

Hell, look at Vaughn, they'll bend over backwards for their pro's and their customization options. They will barely lift a finger at the consumer level.

Just the way things go.

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Shouldn't be too surprised. Pro's will always have access to things unavailable at the consumer level.

Hell, look at Vaughn, they'll bend over backwards for their pro's and their customization options. They will barely lift a finger at the consumer level.

Just the way things go.

I completely understand that we're not Pros and we don't need the same kind of attention, but what rubs me the wrong way is the fact that they market it the same way, using the Pros to get to us. Vaughn shouldn't try to convince me that Lundy wears the exact same chesty as the one hanging at the LHS.

12 minutes ago, Datsyuk92 said:

I completely understand that we're not Pros and we don't need the same kind of attention, but what rubs me the wrong way is the fact that they market it the same way, using the Pros to get to us. Vaughn shouldn't try to convince me that Lundy wears the exact same chesty as the one hanging at the LHS.

I mean, companies have always used pros to market gear to the general public. It's why they brand their gear in the first place.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Can you quantify this? How and why do you say that? Did you wear it on ice and take pucks? 

I wore it off-ice, and perhaps the comment was a bit crass however I did take a lengthy look at the materials, fit and finish on the unit and noticed that the materials used is not that great for a pro unit. Not to knock CCM, however the Premier was a better built unit.

I do like the removable rib padding, and the way the unit fits and moves. It's just the protection that raises a huge flag.

I used to love RBK/CCM C/As for the arm protection but find their recent offerings to be so-so. Not horrible. But just....so-so. The PRemier arms were great when I first got it but deteriorated really quickly after about 6-7 months of use. 

Edited by ruckus007

I'm likely to be in the minority, but I'm kinda excited for the smaller C/A units. I think there's a lot of bulk that can be trimmed off without losing protection.

I'm in the market for a new C/A, but I'm holding off for when the new NHL regulation ones are available. Any idea when that might be... Spring 2019? Earlier?

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean, companies have always used pros to market gear to the general public. It's why they brand their gear in the first place.

I understand that but at the same time Toyota doesn't try to make us believe that the Camry that runs in the Nascar is the exact same one sitting at your local dealership.

On another note, I'm also looking forward to the smaller chestys and even pants. I still think goalie equipment is too big and I wouldn't mind if the legal pad width went down to 10"