Different peg options

Znowleopard

20 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

So i was looking at getting some new pegs for the rink i play at, and there seem to be two main options out there, Piranha pegs which go for 150 for 4 or Anchorpegs  which go for 300 to 400 dollars,

anyone have experience they can share about the two?

I am using the Piranha pegs. They work well. Not sure what specific questions you have? 

For what it's worth... I have a standing Tuesday night skate which is usually played on a new sheet of ice in a building attached to recently renovated ECHL team's arena. The normal ice we play on was taken down so this month we've been able to play on the ECHL ice and they actually use Anchor Pegs. Only 2 pronged... but they held in quite well... enough where I could do some actual RVH work.

Anchor Pegs ~$140/net                                                                                   Guardian Anchor Pegs ~$200/net

Image result for anchor pegs           Image result for anchor pegs

57 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

A whole thread about different pegging options? And here I thought this was a family forum.

Topics not taboo for a goalie forum:

- Showing off our danglers
- How to properly pee in your gear
- Different ways of pegging
- Showing off our knobs
- Proper technique while down on our knees
- Best way to gobble up some rubber
- How to modify your shaft
- etc

Honestly, you take those topic titles and put them on a BDSM forum and you'd find a lot of success.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Topics not taboo for a goalie forum:

- Showing off our danglers
- How to properly pee in your gear
- Different ways of pegging
- Showing off our knobs
- Proper technique while down on our knees
- Best way to gobble up some rubber
- How to modify your shaft
- etc

Honestly, you take those topic titles and put them on a BDSM forum and you'd find a lot of success.

This could seriously be the single greatest post this site will ever lay eyes on... well done sir... well done indeed.

Image result for cheers to that old men                                                                           Image result for ron de jeremy rum

(Figured elitist @coopaloop1234 would enjoy a little Gatsby Leo)                                (Ron De Jeremy Rum for the rest of us)

36 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

Know anybody that could make some for you?

Yeah - I'd make the comment that @ $140 per set for those white ones, someone is turning (pun unintentional but still, appropriate) a good profit.

Before you buy any of these you may want to check with your local rink. The anchors at the rinks I play at totally suck, but I know why. The rink does not want some massive liability claim because some bender crashes the net and it doesn't move or doesn't move enough. As I said before, the one rink I play at won't allow Go-Pros anywhere inside the boards - not on the glass, not on the helmet -not anywhere - some sort of liability issues.

Pretty sure if I took a set of modified pegs into my rinks they'd be confiscated PDQ...

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

Just curious and not chirping, but why would you buy pegs?  Doesn't the rink provide them?

Those sorta my biggest complaint. 

Standard pegs are horseshit. Once you start down this path, you can’t go back

I’ll play a pick up game with my PIranha pegs and RVH like crazy. I’ll go to play a leauge game and I’m knocking the net off like crazy. I get chirps from the other team and questions about doing it on purpose from the refs 

15 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

This could seriously be the single greatest post this site will ever lay eyes on... well done sir... well done indeed.

Image result for cheers to that old men                                                                          

(Figured elitist @coopaloop1234 would enjoy a little Gatsby Leo)                           

Are we able to get nicknames under our user names? I'm definitely adding "elitist" to mine. :D

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

For what it's worth... I have a standing Tuesday night skate which is usually played on a new sheet of ice in a building attached to recently renovated ECHL team's arena. The normal ice we play on was taken down so this month we've been able to play on the ECHL ice and they actually use Anchor Pegs. Only 2 pronged... but they held in quite well... enough where I could do some actual RVH work.

Anchor Pegs ~$140/net                                                                                   Guardian Anchor Pegs ~$200/net

Image result for anchor pegs           Image result for anchor pegs

I've never been able to figure out how the blue ones work. Are they just for practice or what? They look like theyd cover the OUTSIDE of the post. 

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I've never been able to figure out how the blue ones work. Are they just for practice or what? They look like theyd cover the OUTSIDE of the post. 

Yup... to protect skates, similar to Edge Protect post guards

24 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

13 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Yup... to protect skates, similar to Edge Protect post guards

I'll try and use Edge Protects every skate I can (that isn't a game)... saves so much wear and tear on edges  when you're seeing lots of shot... worth every penny instead of having to sharpen skates more often and buying new steels more frequently.

* I should qualify my statement as being for those of us that like a good sharp edge on our skates.

43 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Those sorta my biggest complaint. 

Standard pegs are horseshit. Once you start down this path, you can’t go back

I’ll play a pick up game with my PIranha pegs and RVH like crazy. I’ll go to play a leauge game and I’m knocking the net off like crazy. I get chirps from the other team and questions about doing it on purpose from the refs 

Agreed... you can't properly RVH on standard steel pegs (and calling them pegs at all is being generous.) It's one of the reasons I tend to use VH instead... I can trust my vertical leg to provide enough resistance for a decent push across in time. 

Also... I've played across from guys who knock it off either from a lack of skating ability and/or to stop the play. Gets REAL annoying when I go to the same net the following period and it stays on just fine for me. Better anchors would reduce that. But also to @Ghostender's earlier point about liability... along with the likely added cost... is why most rinks don't use them.

2 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

see im wondering which of the two are better as the anchor pegs are so much more expensive

@Znowleopard - I have not used Achnor Pegs, so I cannot speak to "better". However, the net stays in place with Piranha Pegs much better than traditional pegs and allows me to play aggressively against the post. 

Even if someone can quantify that Anchor Pegs are better, are they really twice as good as Piranha Pegs? I doubt that. I can't see you going wrong with Piranha pegs. I didn't realize Anchor Pegs cost that much... You could get Piranha Pegs and Edge Protech for less than the basic Anchor Pegs. 

54 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Znowleopard - I have not used Achnor Pegs, so I cannot speak to "better". However, the net stays in place with Piranha Pegs much better than traditional pegs and allows me to play aggressively against the post. 

Even if someone can quantify that Anchor Pegs are better, are they really twice as good as Piranha Pegs? I doubt that. I can't see you going wrong with Piranha pegs. I didn't realize Anchor Pegs cost that much... You could get Piranha Pegs and Edge Protech for less than the basic Anchor Pegs. 

Anchor Pegs are in CAD... so $130 USD

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So for you guys that use aftermarket pegs at your local arenas, have you heard any complaints by the leagues/other goalies?

Do you bring two sets?

Also, I can't imagine the holes left over are that deep/large, i'm guessing they're easily filled after Mr. Boni goes by?

I have 1 set. I only use them for pickup or dead ice I get access too 

never had anyone complain about the pegs

i have thought about buying another set and donating them to the rink. Would love them used in a game 

BYO Part of them is probably the worse part. 

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So for you guys that use aftermarket pegs at your local arenas, have you heard any complaints by the leagues/other goalies?

Do you bring two sets?

Also, I can't imagine the holes left over are that deep/large, i'm guessing they're easily filled after Mr. Boni goes by?

This is what the ice looks like after Piranha Peg has been used. This was after a 90 minute goalie training session. 

20 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Yeah - I'd make the comment that @ $140 per set for those white ones, someone is turning (pun unintentional but still, appropriate) a good profit.

Before you buy any of these you may want to check with your local rink. The anchors at the rinks I play at totally suck, but I know why. The rink does not want some massive liability claim because some bender crashes the net and it doesn't move or doesn't move enough. As I said before, the one rink I play at won't allow Go-Pros anywhere inside the boards - not on the glass, not on the helmet -not anywhere - some sort of liability issues.

Pretty sure if I took a set of modified pegs into my rinks they'd be confiscated PDQ...

I was warned that the rink I play mostly in would steal, er, um confiscate any pegs I would bring in. We have a prickly relationship with some senior members of the staff who, in some cases, have power *just* short of a park ranger. 

Archived