Most Ahead of its Time

TheGoalNet

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve heard similar. It was designed as a broomball cage. Roy’s OG Lefebvre mask was shipped with a cheater and the Habs EQM didn’t like it. Got an HM30 on there and the rest history 

HM30was designed as a goalie cage.  The HM40 was designed for forwards and lacrosse players.

The Broomball thing only started happening because the HM30/40 were not certified and the "BroomBall" disclaimer allowed them to keep putting them in the sports stores and catalogue as BroomBall was was not governed needing CSA certification

11 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Blockade line for sure.  It was the first flatbfaced, pure butterfly style pad.  Helped me realized I can't use super stiff pads as well. They also had the one piece knee and calf wing.  Not to mention a triangular outer roll

6X6t5nz.jpg.bcd5baf4dcd925b3a74557bd839ced8a.jpg18-3451side.jpg.c755f82b8e7dc40135346eeea3465dbc.jpg

What about the TPS Xlite? They were before the Blockade and totally flat faced. I recall one of the biggest problems with the Blockade during its run was that it had a calf rise and not just a knee rise, making it so the wearer's leg was always completely parallel to the ice and not allowing the foot to drop at all.

1 hour ago, keeperton said:

What about the TPS Xlite? They were before the Blockade and totally flat faced. I recall one of the biggest problems with the Blockade during its run was that it had a calf rise and not just a knee rise, making it so the wearer's leg was always completely parallel to the ice and not allowing the foot to drop at all.

I sprained my knee really bad due to the leg channel... 

I see.

I feel like the Blockade failed for a multitude of reasons, few of which were that it was "ahead of its time." it was stiff, its precurve was barely noticeable, the thigh rise, the huge one piece landing gear among quite the main that I can think of. I never got to mess with a Gatekeeper, so I'm not sure why those weren't much more popular.

29 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I see.

I feel like the Blockade failed for a multitude of reasons, few of which were that it was "ahead of its time." it was stiff, its precurve was barely noticeable, the thigh rise, the huge one piece landing gear among quite the main that I can think of. I never got to mess with a Gatekeeper, so I'm not sure why those weren't much more popular.

Blockade reminds me of 1S. The same level of hype and weirdness compared to what else was out 

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve heard similar. It was designed as a broomball cage. Roy’s OG Lefebvre mask was shipped with a cheater and the Habs EQM didn’t like it. Got an HM30 on there and the rest history 

It was 100% designed for hockey goalies

After HECC certification became the norm, it was listed in the Cooper catalog as a broomball cage so they could continue to sell it without the liability issues.

11 hours ago, keeperton said:

I see.

All of those features were exactly what made it ahead of its time

It was the first pad to have a solid single foam core, which is now common (for Brian's at least, Vaughn is now getting into it, CCM continues to layer foam sheets)

Some of what made it ahead of its time were also why it was less popular. The execution of the landing gear was the problem, not it's existence. If the knee landing was thicker and the calf landing was flat instead of having that odd leg channel of its own, which put the ankle and knee at the same height which put stress on both and made it extremely uncomfortable, the idea may have taken off sooner.

Since Factory MAD is now using what looks like a direct descendant of the one piece landing gear, the blockade was definitely ahead of its time.

7 minutes ago, bc30 said:

All of those features were exactly what made it ahead of its time

It was the first pad to have a solid single foam core, which is now common (for Brian's at least, Vaughn is now getting into it, CCM continues to layer foam sheets)

Some of what made it ahead of its time were also why it was less popular. The execution of the landing gear was the problem, not it's existence. If the knee landing was thicker and the calf landing was flat instead of having that odd leg channel of its own, which put the ankle and knee at the same height which put stress on both and made it extremely uncomfortable, the idea may have taken off sooner.

Since Factory MAD is now using what looks like a direct descendant of the one piece landing gear, the blockade was definitely ahead of its time.

The nice thing about Dennis is that some of the designs that were probably good that died  because of league rules or production issues, like a floating T or 1 piece landing, have a second life 

Archived