Your height and your paddle size !

Many

On 3/14/2018 at 8:30 AM, stackem30 said:

I'm 6'2", and I use a Sherwood stick that is 27" (though it's listed as 25").

Chenner, I'm a bit skeptical of some of the pro measurements you listed. I have a game-used Brodeur stick, which you listed as a true 26" (unless you meant 26" was the manufacturer's size, which, as we can all see, tend not to be reliable), and the paddle is considerably longer than my Sherwood, which is a true 27" (both by Pure Goalie's measurements and my own). Not a criticism, just curious as to how you determined that measurement.

Amazing how something as simple as paddle length has been bungled so badly by the manufacturers... get the ISO in there, quick!

On 3/13/2018 at 8:31 AM, IPv6Freely said:

I assume you're talking about actual lengths, rather than the nonsensical number stamped on the stick? lol. 

The paddle measurements I gave were CCM measurements. 

On 3/12/2018 at 11:25 PM, Chenner29 said:

Saw a lot of pro stock sticks when I worked retail.  The paddle heights below are CCM measurements

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, creasecollector said:

I still need to take an 'actual' measurement, but I use a 25" CCM Premier Plus. And I'm 5ft5.

Well the entire point of this thread is to get actual measurements so probably better to just hold off on posting until you have that. 

7 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Well the entire point of this thread is to get actual measurements so probably better to just hold off on posting until you have that. 

Fair enough. My true paddle length is a 26 if I measure down to the bottom of the blade like the first picture OP posted. 

But I see where the confusion lies. When I look at my stick, the paddle begins when the stick starts to straighten out, and I wouldn't count the bottom of the blade portion in my opinion. That's the heel of the blade, not the paddle. If I measure to when the stick starts to straighten out (the paddle, in my mind), then I have my 25" measurement, matching the measurement initially printed on the shaft of my stick. I can't speak for other brands, but this is my experience/opinion on my CCM's currently. Interesting thread though. 

19 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Fair enough. My true paddle length is a 26 if I measure down to the bottom of the blade like the first picture OP posted. 

But I see where the confusion lies. When I look at my stick, the paddle begins when the stick starts to straighten out, and I wouldn't count the bottom of the blade portion in my opinion. That's the heel of the blade, not the paddle. If I measure to when the stick starts to straighten out (the paddle, in my mind), then I have my 25" measurement, matching the measurement initially printed on the shaft of my stick. I can't speak for other brands, but this is my experience/opinion on my CCM's currently. Interesting thread though. 

You definitely include the bottom of the blade in the measurement. Just exactly like the measurement photo shows. That's the ONLY way to get a consistent measurement across brands. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, IPv6Freely said:

This is the way all goalie sticks should be measured by every manufacturer. There is literally zero reason for them to do it any other way.

Anyway, 5'9" and use a 27.5" (26" Warrior).

I'm also now using one that is an inch longer but its a special grip from Passau so I hold it farther down the paddle. It's a Passau 28.5 (they use actual sizes). 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:18 AM, old but slow said:

5'7" Warrior RC1 25" actual length 26 .125

also use the True 6.0 24" that measures in at 26.375

Looking to pick up a couple CR1s and remembered this thread... so thanks for the info guys. I'm using a 27.5" Passau right now (sitting in my garage anyway) which translates to a 26" Warrior but wouldn't mind something a touch smaller. That said, I also remembered the Warrior CR1 Stick Size thread there is mention of the lie making it feel shorter than the paddle height alone. 

@IPv6Freely how would you compare the lie on the Warrior to your Passau? While our stance and style may differ... we're about the same height (I'm 5'10) and both are coming from Passau. I'm almost tempted to order a 25" CR1 but am slightly worried the shortened paddle combined w/ the lie will be too much change from my Passaus.

@TitanFan... FYI

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Looking to pick up a couple CR1s and remembered this thread... so thanks for the info guys. I'm using a 27.5" Passau right now (sitting in my garage anyway) which translates to a 26" Warrior but wouldn't mind something a touch smaller. That said, I also remembered the Warrior CR1 Stick Size thread there is mention of the lie making it feel shorter than the paddle height alone. 

@IPv6Freely how would you compare the lie on the Warrior to your Passau? While our stance and style may differ... we're about the same height (I'm 5'10) and both are coming from Passau. I'm almost tempted to order a 25" CR1 but am slightly worried the shortened paddle combined w/ the lie will be too much change from my Passaus.

@TitanFan... FYI

I went from I believe a 25" Passau to 26" Warrior Swagger Pro to 26" CR1.  I can tell you right now that the difference in lie has cause a hole on my blocker side.  If you check the progression of my pictures in the show off your action photo thread you'll see how it opened up.  I have since picked up a 25" CR1 to see if it will help close up the hole.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I went from I believe a 25" Passau to 26" Warrior Swagger Pro to 26" CR1.  I can tell you right now that the difference in lie has cause a hole on my blocker side.  If you check the progression of my pictures in the show off your action photo thread you'll see how it opened up.  I have since picked up a 25" CR1 to see if it will help close up the hole.

While the lie of the CR1 might still take some getting used to... I'm coming from a 27.5" Passau (which would according to @IPv6Freely would equate to a 26" CR1) so the lie might push me out some but the paddle height itself wouldn't be too unfamiliar. And in the case of a 25" CR1 (which @old but slow says would equate to a 26.125" Passau) the lie may push my blocker back outward some but not as much as the same paddle height.

In your case by going from a 25" Passau to a 26" CR1 and a true height of 27.5"... you're fighting both the paddle height and the lie (which is even more exaggerated for you by the increased height.)  

Now that I have a few minutes... for visual let's assume that because we know the CR1 is a 14 lie that the Passau is the steeper 15... and that stance remains the same... 

@SaveByRichter35 initial scenario we can see that a taller paddle and a lower lie will push the blocker up and outward... the bigger hole under his arm he's describing.

1474491294_TallerCR1.jpg.3d70a0a6048b67b7610c42183224c755.jpg

In my same paddle height but varied lie scenario we see the blocker would push outward and be slightly lower (play a bit shorter as they say.)

1137864320_SameCR1Passua.jpg.f34c73902247249263383bcf75cfa6e2.jpg

Finally, we have shorter CR1 paddle where the blocker would certainly sit lower but does not push out as far as it would with the same paddle height.

431640690_ShorterCR1.jpg.45f1be53be6ebff90c5e5b1df5f86069.jpg

(Note: NOT 100% to scale w/ paddle height variances, and lie angle is take from Bauer image used on a CGD Goalie post) 

https://www.cgdgoalies.com/single-post/2015/11/30/Chances-are-you-are-using-the-wrong-stick-factors-to-consider-when-selecting-your-next-paddle

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Why must Warrior make their sticks with a stupid lie :myhead:

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

So you buy a second one in another size... :baller:

paddle shape with a offset , lower bottom side will get the hand closer to the body and feel like a higher lie.

a rounded  blade heel and or toe or rocker blade (mzark, heel , warrior) will give you more mobility and control then a flat blade (warrior quick) and feel shorter.

I'm 6'2", and right now I'm using a 25" Crawford CCM E-Flex. According to the comment from a Pure Goalie rep, the true measurement is 27.5", 2.5" more than what CCM lists. I was even a little surprised that it's that long... I tend to prefer sticks with slightly shorter paddles, considering my height. I have long arms, which helps compensate, and I like to have a lot of control and be able to windmill my stick around with ease. I remember having a pro Giguere stick and a pro Luongo stick when I was younger, and I hated how tall the paddles were (I'm in between both of them, height-wise — they're listed as 6'1" and 6'3", respectively).

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

im 6´1 and i use a 26 in sherwood. I was checking out the CCM Pro Authentic in a 28.5 in Holtby curve in Monkey Measurements.

Would the CCM Pro feel bigger or even smaller then my Sherwood?

Your best bet is to measure your current stick the way GM does to make a comparison. 

On 7/19/2018 at 9:52 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Why must Warrior make their sticks with a stupid lie :myhead:

@Kirk3190 - Although @SaveByRichter35 is having some fun with the post above, I think it posses a good question...

Can you share the rationale behind doing things differently with you retail lies? Is there a benefit to the consumer we are overlooking/ omitting?

On 7/19/2018 at 9:38 PM, BadAngle41 said:

While the lie of the CR1 might still take some getting used to... I'm coming from a 27.5" Passau (which would according to @IPv6Freely would equate to a 26" CR1) so the lie might push me out some but the paddle height itself wouldn't be too unfamiliar. And in the case of a 25" CR1 (which @old but slow says would equate to a 26.125" Passau) the lie may push my blocker back outward some but not as much as the same paddle height.

In your case by going from a 25" Passau to a 26" CR1 and a true height of 27.5"... you're fighting both the paddle height and the lie (which is even more exaggerated for you by the increased height.)  

Now that I have a few minutes... for visual let's assume that because we know the CR1 is a 14 lie that the Passau is the steeper 15... and that stance remains the same... 

@SaveByRichter35 initial scenario we can see that a taller paddle and a lower lie will push the blocker up and outward... the bigger hole under his arm he's describing.

1474491294_TallerCR1.jpg.3d70a0a6048b67b7610c42183224c755.jpg

In my same paddle height but varied lie scenario we see the blocker would push outward and be slightly lower (play a bit shorter as they say.)

1137864320_SameCR1Passua.jpg.f34c73902247249263383bcf75cfa6e2.jpg

Finally, we have shorter CR1 paddle where the blocker would certainly sit lower but does not push out as far as it would with the same paddle height.

431640690_ShorterCR1.jpg.45f1be53be6ebff90c5e5b1df5f86069.jpg

(Note: NOT 100% to scale w/ paddle height variances, and lie angle is take from Bauer image used on a CGD Goalie post) 

https://www.cgdgoalies.com/single-post/2015/11/30/Chances-are-you-are-using-the-wrong-stick-factors-to-consider-when-selecting-your-next-paddle

Good stuff here. I found the last picture to be accurate of my 25" CCM vs 25" Warrior. The CR1 felt short because of the lie difference. 

If you really want your want your mind blown, shoulder shape sorta effects the paddle height too. 26" Bauer with steep shoulders feels very similar to 25" CCM with standard shoulders. If the Bauer had standard shoulders, it would be much taller. 

Archived